Old 12-02-2020, 06:06 AM   #1
SimonM
Human being with feelings

Default Adding chapter marks in a podcast

Hello, I'm working on a podcast and I was wondering if there was a way, in reaper, to add chapter marks to the finished mp3 file, so that I'd avoid using external software.
I've googled it, and looked into the forums, but I couldn't find any recent. Some posts dating from 2017 stated that it was not possible, at the time... but a lot of water has passed beneath the bridge, and this might have changed.

Should it not be possible, does anyone know a cheap or free software that can do the job, without messing around with the quality of the audio? I was looking to render wav files and then have an mp3 and an m4a version, but I had completely forgotten about the chapter marks.
SimonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

This is possible in REAPER 6.16 and later. If you open the project metadata dialog, you can see all of the types of metadata that REAPER supports, including chapter markers, which are supported for mp3, flac, ogg, and opus files. You can embed chapter markers by creating project markers or regions named "CHAP=XXX", for example "CHAP=Introduction", "CHAP=A Dark and Stormy Night", etc. In the render dialog, check the box to embed the metadata into the rendered file.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #3
SimonM

thank you <3
Old 12-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
SimonM

...although... the metadata (name, cover, etc) gets displayed in VLC, for example, but I can't make the chapters appear. It seems the data is not stored anywhere. When I open the files in the media explorer, I can see the chapters and the regions there, though.

what am I doing wrong?
Old 12-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Are you sure VLC supports MP3 chapters?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
SimonM

There is a chapter entry in the playback menu... I assumed so, but now, searching on google, I can't find any confirmation (nor any disproof).

How can I be 100% sure that the markers will appear in itunes, spotify or other podcast platforms, like another mp3 player that supports them? perhaps if I find a ipod and put the files in them? I recall my old ipod supported chapters... but in m4a files. It will take a lot of time to add the regions in each episode (I plan to record at least 20 of them before starting to upload) and I will only find out if I've wasted my time when I'll start sending the files, in January.