Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 01-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
KamranV
Human being with feelings

Default National Call for Quadraphonic work

I love reaper. I used Reaper to test a plugin that we released. With dublab and the NEA I also made a plugin called QUARK that allows you to make quad vinyl (and a lot more) as well as a grant opportunity to #MakeMusicInSpace. I'm sure a lot of you will do some mind-blowing stuff.

http://QUARK.CyKiK.com
KamranV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
Kabraxis

Whoa, some amazing review panel in there!
Too bad Quark plugin is Mac exclusive for the time being.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
Kewl

« Opportunity is for US-based artists only »

This info is a bit buried, so, there you go, before you get too excited about this.
Kewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
plush2

I chased my way through the site when this was first posted and discovered both those tidbits (Mac and US citizens only) and now I feel dumb for not posting that right away.

It seems surprisingly well funded and connected for such a niche undertaking. Not only is it spatial audio but it's spatial audio from the 1970s if I'm not mistaken. That's not a slag, I still like and use FOA and that dates from the same decade. I'd like to know more about the history of this particular undertaking than I was able to find on the site.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
junh1024

In their FAQ they say "Dolby Pro Logic II (DLP2) format is very closely modeled after the Regular Matrix format." so you can prolly use any DPL2 encoder.

There is a DPL2 encoder in JSFX here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=133619

Also "allowing the distribution of four-channel spatial recordings via widely accessible two-channel formats such as vinyl, radio, streaming video such as YouTube and music services such as iTunes and Spotify."

Well, the point of this is somewhat lost as everything is moving towards discrete surround. Youtube now supports 5.1 audio. But not sure under what scenarios you will have 51 playback
Old 01-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
In their FAQ they say "Dolby Pro Logic II (DLP2) format is very closely modeled after the Regular Matrix format." so you can prolly use any DPL2 encoder.
I noticed that and thought why not just use DPL2 since you will already have speaker setups in existence that can play it back? It's been a dismal couple of years for marketing immersive audio products.

It almost makes me cry to admit that 8D is the most successful recent "attempt".? /s
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote