Old 04-04-2021, 03:44 AM   #1
Reflected
Human being with feelings

Default can you do this in reaper ?

can you do this in reaper? (in one single track)

Reflected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:22 AM   #2
lunker

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. But in this case, a few words might help.

Are you asking if Reaper can take a signal, split it into several identical copies, process each copy through different effects (and then split some of the effected signals and process each of them separately), and then recombine all the signals back into one?

Sure, Reaper can do that (all in one track). Split the signal from channels 1/2 onto multiple other channels 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc. Add effects, and use Reaper's FX pin routing to specify which channel(s) each effect should process. Then recombine all the channels back to 1/2 at the end.

Chapter 17 in the Reaper User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide626c.pdf) gives some examples of how to do this.

If you already knew that, and you are asking whether Reaper can display the FX routing nicely, I don't think it can do something as nice as the picture you posted (yet). The wiring matrix is a start, but not quite as nice as what you posted.

Last edited by lunker; 04-04-2021 at 04:43 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:24 AM   #3
FeedTheCat

I'd assume you can, but good luck doing it using pin connectors?

Would be awesome to have the FX chain window reworked... Now that reaper has FX visible in both mcp and tcp it feels like the old chain window is a bit obsolete in its current state.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
sonicowl

You can do any complex routing within a track, using pins. But it requires multiple channels on track. Not possible graphically, so it is a pain to make routing. Often it is easier to create another track for parallel processing.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #5
dna598

They implemented the "track wiring" window, which i thought would make parallel processing on one track a breeze. I find it just as difficult to use as the pins (I don't use it).
As an ableton user, I do miss the fx/instrument rack.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I'd assume you can, but good luck doing it using pin connectors?

Would be awesome to have the FX chain window reworked... Now that reaper has FX visible in both mcp and tcp it feels like the old chain window is a bit obsolete in its current state.
True, I almost never use it and it always annoys me when it pops up. Only some settings frustratingly are not accessible via fxlist context menu (like cut FX, save FX chain, embed in TCP/MCP)..
I wish they would give the entire FX chain functionality (including a bypass button) to the FX slots in MCP and TCP and substitute the FX chain with a graphical routing interface with all bells and whistles.

So that when you just need to add an effect, move it around, save chains and do things to it that currently are only possible only in FX chain window you should be able to do everything in MCP/TCP and when opening the FX chain you directly get a comprehensive routing matrix where you can route things in parallel, have post fader effects etc..
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #7
Reflected

so basically we have some kinda of way to route vsts in parallel but it just not usable?
Old 04-05-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
Phazma

Yes, it is technically possible with pins on a single track but far quicker IMO to just create multiple tracks and work with sends and folders.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #9
n997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
so basically we have some kinda of way to route vsts in parallel but it just not usable?
It's usable via FX pins and track channels, but you have to read the manual and spend good amount of time learning and getting used to how it works. Also, "mixer" JS FX will be needed to utilize it fully.

As others have said, in some cases might make more sense to just use regular tracks.

In any case, it's a question of abstraction and organization, like matryoshka dolls and Inception Good visual representation (node-based etc.) helps to make sense of complex routings - but the question still remains, whether something really needs "inception routing" or would it actually be simpler to do it with fewer levels of abstraction.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #10
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Yes, it is technically possible with pins on a single track but far quicker IMO to just create multiple tracks and work with sends and folders.
can you really do complex routings with tracks without copromising?
I always find myself giving up on "complex" ideas because it is getting too messy to follow the routings.

also, using tracks to make parallel fx chains can make the project look really busy.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:30 AM   #11
valy

Since a single track is limited to a single core...I certainly wouldn't want to.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #12
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
can you really do complex routings with tracks without copromising?
I always find myself giving up on "complex" ideas because it is getting too messy to follow the routings.

also, using tracks to make parallel fx chains can make the project look really busy.
Depends. I often create some very complex sounds in a different project or subproject and use a rendered version of them in the main project.

When I work on some sounds that need MIDI where this is not feasible (like layered lead synths) I rarely have more then 5 layers. I have created actions and customized the menu to allow me to right-click a track and add a pre-fx, pre-fader or post-fader send underneath when needed but most of the time that is rather confusing me so I prefer to just duplicate the track and add different effects.

I throw that all in a folder and add effects there which should affect the mix of all sounds.
In my theme I can minimize child tracks to 0px (they disappear), so I only see the one folder track and can work on the individual sounds when expanding.

The only thing that is super annoying with this method is that Reaper is unable to send MIDI from parent track to all child tracks. If that was possible one could just design the sounds and when arranging keep the folder closed all the time and only open when having to do a tweak to the sound of a layer. As of now you either have to duplicate the melody to all layers and when changing it replacing the MIDI on all of them or you include a track that sends MIDI to all of the other tracks.
The latter method may be a bit more elegant but it is still annoying that one has to go back and forth between parent track and child track to adjust either the mixed sound or the melody.
Really miss the"track stacks" like in Logic which allow to send MIDI to subtracks.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #13
Reflected

this could be one of the strongest parts of reaper.