Old 10-01-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
miketheman
Human being with feelings

Default Transport Controls in Reaper

Hi everyone

Tried in newbieland and got only views but unfortunately no answers/thoughts:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=166985

Is it possible to set the transport controls in Reaper to react to MIDI system real-time messages (start/stop/continue)?

I haven´t managed to get it functional, maybe jx or reascript are the way to go regarding that function?

Thanks in advance!
/Mike
miketheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
LugNut

Hi,

Have you set reaper to listen to midi clock/spp? Right click on the play button and select the midi port the hardware is connected to.

If that doesn't work, there could be a way using the control surface support, but try the above first.

And lastly, if both of those don't cut it, you could use midi translator to convert the sysex to a midi command reaper can learn.

Hth

Guido
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Mikewillstew

Hello fellow Mike,
How about that. I have just posted an answer to your original post and then noticed this one. I see you did seek elsewhere... to this section. Very sensible. Here is what I wrote:-
Quote:
Apologies for not answering sooner. I have been off doing other stuff recently and you have probably gone off somewhere else in search of a result. Anyway, for the sake of completion and in case others need to know I can say that REAPER does recognise MMC out of the box. It is so transparent though that the manual does not even mention it.
I have my ancient M-Audio Oxygen8 v2 happily controlling the transport with MMC commands. Just make sure that your controller is enabled as a control input in the MIDI devices section of the Preferences. The standard transport controls of REAPER cover only a subset of the commands and there is no Loop Play/Repeat command in MMC so you have to toggle that using a CC message.
You say that you have not been able to get timing signals going from your controller to REAPER. In general it is better to use the DAW as the timing source to keep the stream of timing and incoming note/control messages separate as, ironically, the former can disrupt the timing of the latter.

Controller Out:MMC commands/Notes/CCs/Pitch Bend=>DAW In
DAW Out: Clock messages=>Controller In

BTW, the advantage of using MMC over CCs is that MMC is system common so does not care which MIDI channels the DAW is listening to.
Hope this helps somebody.
/Another Mike
Not new to REAPER nor MIDI sequencers (MOTU Performer V4, anyone) nor audio recording nor reading manuals. Only to the forum. 2010 MacBook, 8Gb/512Gb Crucial SSD, latest OS; iPad mini2, Latest OS, TouchOSC. I intend only to post when I know the answer.
Mikewillstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:15 AM   #4
ChuckkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewillstew View Post
Hello fellow Mike,
How about that. I have just posted an answer to your original post and then noticed this one. I see you did seek elsewhere... to this section. Very sensible. Here is what I wrote:-
Just want to point out that "MIDI system real time messages" are not the same as MMC.
MMC is sysex.
The MIDI System Real Time "Start" command, e.g., is 250. Just 250, or FA.
The MMC "start" command would be something like:
F0 7F 7F 06 02 F7

I can also get Reaper to follow MMC, but not MIDI System Real Time Messages. In fact, it won't follow any of these.
ChuckkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
Richard Foss

Default Reaper not responding to Stop/Pause transport command

I'm controlling Reaper transport with transport commands from my own program. Play, Pause and Stop have worked fine on older versions of Reaper, but for the version 6.67 that I am currently using, only Play is responded to. My commands in the action list are:

MIDI Chan 1 CC 117 Transport: Play
MIDI Chan 1 CC 116 Transport: Stop
MIDI Chan 1 CC 112 Transport: Pause

Using MIDI Monitor, I can see that all messages are being transmitted onto the internal IAC Driver Bus 1, but Reaper only responds to Play.

Has anyone else experienced this from a MIDI controller?
Richard Foss is offline   Reply With Quote