Old 03-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
fuzzball
Human being with feelings

Default Green screen help?

I've been making a few music videos with some friends that have turned out quite well. We make them in front of my fireplace, which looks pretty good in general, but when splitting up the screen into multiple tracks/takes then it looks REALLY busy because of the bookshelf and bricks being replicated. So I've decided to pick up a green screen of some sort and delve into that.

My question is regarding how to then process the video to substitute the green screen background with another background. I'm nearly certain that Reaper has no such functionality.

So.... what is the order in which we do this? Create the video in Reaper, which I already do, (but with addition of green screen background) and then process that video through some other software? What software are people using for that?

Any suggestions to workflow and software needed would be greatly appreciated.
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
karbomusic

There are a couple of chromakey presets in the video processor FX which should allow you to place the background below the green screen track and get close to what you want (though I haven't used it).

For more advanced chromakey I use Davinci Resolve but it does require a video card with 4-8 GB memory minimum. Others may have more suggestions.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
fuzzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There are a couple of chromakey presets in the video processor FX which should allow you to place the background below the green screen track and get close to what you want (though I haven't used it).

For more advanced chromakey I use Davinci Resolve but it does require a video card with 4-8 GB memory minimum. Others may have more suggestions.
Son of a gun... that appears to work. At least with a test video and a test background file.

I put a MP4 video of a person dancing in front of a green screen as the first track. I put a JPG image of a background scene as track two.

When I added the default Chroma-key (YUV version) as an FX on the first track it then showed the person dancing against the background image in track two.

Thank you so much for the help. It gives me something to latch on to for starters.
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
karbomusic

Nice, glad you got at least some of it working.