Old 11-29-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
fairfam
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Default Track rates problem

Something I did caused the rates of all of my project's tracks to change suddenly and slightly, and I'm not sure what caused it.

By looking at the track descriptions just above each track, I can tell that the track rates have changed. Normally, when I expand an individual track, the description above the track reads as: the "track take number" and then the "track name" (e.g., "Take 4/5: TrackName-04.wav"). But recently, in the middle of editing a project, somehow the rate of all of the project's tracks were changed slightly. The track descriptions now read as: "the changed rate", "track take number", and then "the track name" (e.g., "[Rate 0.986] Take 4/5: TrackName-04.wav"). Even though the tracks' rates are slightly reduced, the rate on the Playback Rate Bar is still at "1.0".

The tracks don't sound normal anymore. Now they sound like they have a slight "swirling/phasing" effect, even though I haven't added any effects or plugins. I'm guessing that this changed sound is caused by the slightly changed rate.

I'm new to Reaper (using version 5.93). It's possible that I accidentally pressed a key that caused the tracks' rates to change. How can I fix this problem? Could it be possible that the problem is being caused by a bug?
fairfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #2
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 9,388
Default

Hi and welcome to REAPER forums,

since you say the rate of all items in the project changed my first guess is that you (accidently) changed the project tempo/BPM (depending on the set timebase this can automatically change the playrate of audio items).
Could that be the case?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
fairfam
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks

After figuring out what Project BPM was originally set, I found out that the Project BPM did somehow change. It changed from 120 bpm to 118 bpm at the same time that the track rates were reduced. I changed the Project BPM back to 120, but "[Rate 0.986]" is still in the track description and the tracks still have a "swirling/phasing" sound. How would you suggest getting the tracks to sound normal again?
fairfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:12 AM   #4
domzy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfam View Post
How would you suggest getting the tracks to sound normal again?
select all the items with the altered playrate, press f2 and set the playback rate to 1.00000 (in the box in the middle of the window)
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
fairfam
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks! That solved the rate problem.

But now all of the tracks are out of alignment. I tried selecting all of the tracks, right clicking, and going to Item Processing to "move the items to source preferred position (BWF)". That fixed the alignment of some tracks, but it moved other tracks even more out of line with each other. How can I get all of the tracks to be aligned the way they were before I fixed the rate problem?
fairfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
fairfam
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Default

One more question: does anyone have any idea on how the rate problem started in the first place?

A few of my projects have that same problem, and I'm still not sure why. I probably accidentally caused it by pressing a button or key that I shouldn't have. It would be great if I knew how to avoid having that problem happen again.

Also, if anyone has any advice on how to reverse the rate problem while still keeping the tracks aligned, then that would be greatly appreciated.
fairfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
domzy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfam View Post
One more question: does anyone have any idea on how the rate problem started in the first place?
you changed the BPM of the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfam View Post
Also, if anyone has any advice on how to reverse the rate problem while still keeping the tracks aligned, then that would be greatly appreciated.
changing the tempo back to what it was previously should reverse it, depending on whether you have altered stuff in the interim etc.

You might be advised to get acquainted with the timebase settings (in project settings or item properties) - these dictate the positional behaviour of audio files when changing tempo.

Last edited by domzy; 12-11-2019 at 06:02 AM.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.