Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
XITE-1/4LIVE
Human being with feelings

Default Modified ADA8200

Anyone recording with Revive or Black Lion Audio modified ADA8200s?
Mostly concerned with XLR in to ADAT out.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
drumphil

I'd want to see at the very least a Right Mark Audio Analyzer loopback test comparing the original to the modded version before doing anything.

If they can't precisely quantify what the difference will be before you buy, then be very suspicious.

Mostly, it's pretty pointless buying the cheapest ADA mic pre rack that exists, and then giving it to someone to tweak it by hand. There are no magic shortcuts that make this process give you better results for less money than just getting something better in the first place.

Discussions have gone round and round for years over at Gearslutz, with people who spent the money claiming they can hear a difference, but not one single one of them ever manages to get around to performing a test that would quantify the difference in audio specification terms, beyond how they feel after investing their money... hmmmm... I smell snake oil.

People who haven't got one would love to see those results and would be happy to run the test themselves if they could. The people who own one either won't test, or have tested and are unwilling to tell everyone what the actual results were....

The real question is, why don't Black Lion Audio and the other mobs just quantify exactly what the differences in audio specifications are? If it was a big improvement, wouldn't they be shouting the figures from the rooftop?

Last edited by drumphil; 07-26-2017 at 07:53 PM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
The real question is, why don't Black Lion Audio and the other mobs just quantify exactly what the differences in audio specifications are? If it was a big improvement, wouldn't they be shouting the figures from the rooftop?
Yup

Or cables, or mic preamps or tonewoods
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

What are you intending to do with them? I have two ADA8200s running into my Fireface UFX and they sound decent unmodded. I don't use them for high gain with mics but rather as an extra 16 line inputs for my synth rig. The line inputs still run through the mic pre's at lower gain though and I am pretty fussy with sound quality. I have no issues with their analog or digital circuitry.

They may not be in Dan Lavry territory but they are no slouches either and they don't sound cheap. They sound quite transparent actually.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
cyrano

I had a Black Lion modded ADA8000 next to my own ADA8000 for a couple of weeks once. Tried very hard to find a difference, but couldn't hear one.

And measurements were so close that the only thing that came out of them was that the BL modded has less difference between channels. But we're talking about half a dB there, so it won't ruin your day
Old 07-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
XITE-1/4LIVE

Actually bought a pair for the sake of DC Coupled outputs.
Plus with a Mutec clock I can loop the units for bi directional use of ADAT or XLR.
For example I want to use a pair of TC Fireworx via ADAT, without sacrificing 4 left over I/Os.
Using a WC and looping TC units and ADA8200s I'll get 12 drum mics and 2 x FX units that send 16 I/Os via ADAT into my DSP Rack.
When not using them for live work I can use the DC outs to MIDI via Expert Sleepers.
Finally just decent mic pres for recording drums, etc.

I like the Midas Mic Pres. Bought a Midas M32 and they sounded as good as my FMR-RNPs.
But figured the ADA8200s used different signal path.

I really didn't notice a difference from our drummers unmodded ADA8200.
But did notice a big difference from the ADA8000 to the ADA8200.

I'm pretty happy with the coupled outputs too.
Converting 24bit audio to MIDI actually works really well.
Modules accepting audio as a modulation source allows the usual 0-128 go to 0-16,000.
Suddenly your Filter Sweeps are glitch free, wimpy Portamento now sounds like each Oscillator glides at slightly different rates.

The only other units with this flexibility cost 1,000 to 1,500 dollars.
So 900 bucks for a pair of these is pretty sweet.

So now I have 2 x ADA8200s and an ancient SonicCore A16 Ultra with 2 x FireWire ports.
32 ins and outs of my DSP Rack where all mixing takes place.
2 x AUX channels are automated TC Fireworx, the other 4 AUXs use the DSP FX.

After 8 years of owning the DSP Rack and never utilizing its excessive I/Os I'm glad they all work.
I even use the AES/EBU Ports for Solaris digital output.

This is basically a spare to my Midas M32 now.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
Dannii

DC coupled outputs on the ADA8200? Are you sure? I haven't experimented with that yet but as far as I know they are AC coupled. I'd love to be wrong about that.
I've been running REAPER metronome into one of my ADA8200s and then into pulse shapers and into my analog step sequencers for Berlin School electronic stuff and it is rock solid. Much tighter than MIDI timing.

I just purchased an Expert Sleepers ES3 Mk3 to use with Reaktor 6 Blocks and Silent Way plugins. I'll be running it into my Roland and Moog analog gear. Got a really good deal on the ES3 second hand.

Edit - Nevermind my questions on the DC outputs. Upon re-reading your post, I see you're talking about modded units.

Last edited by Dannii; 07-28-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
XITE-1/4LIVE

I'm still learning but using a Custom Modular Synth app my resolution has gone from 0-128 to 100,000...!!
I will be controlling the new Roland SE-02 using the Silentway Suite and Modular Synth app. via my Solaris synth. Joystick, 28 inch Ribbon aft and exp.

I still don't have my head wrapped around what these guys refer to as 32bit MIDI, but on modules accepting audio as a modulation source the difference is noticeable immediately.
These guys are using Ableton and Max 4 Live.
I'll be using Reaper/Bidule and Silentway Suite.
I love learning new techniques, especially when it sounds great.

If you have a Softsynth that excepts audio as a modulation source, give it a try using Silentway.
I wish Zebra accepted audio as Modulation.
Those Diva Filters swept by an LFO would be impressive...
Not to mention their dual glide portamento.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
XITE-1/4LIVE

BTW I really appreciate your themes.
Most admirable....
Old 07-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #10
Dannii

Thanks heaps for the feedback on my theme. I put a LOT of time in it and have fine tuned it much over the last few years. I made it primarily to suit my everyday workflow.

Have you got your SE02 yet? That looks like a really nice collaboration between SE and Roland and I've been impressed with what I've heard of it so far. True analog from two synth masters. If I didn't have my Moog Voyager, I'd be very interested in purchasing an SE02.
I have two other Roland Boutiques (two JP08s) and while they are not discreet analog, the ACB technology they use gets VERY close to the original sound of the Jupiter 8. The only area they could improve would be to simulate the slight inaccuracies between the oscillator tuning in the original Jupiter. Still, these little boutiques sound VERY good.

I haven't looked into which of the VSTi synths I have are capable of audio as a mod source but I will do now that I have Silent Way. Reaktor Blocks can probably do it. It is capable of using the Expert Sleepers ES3 as a hardware CV output.