Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default UFX + Reaper config issue (SOLVED)

I haven't tried a vanilla version yet, just curious if anyone knows where I might look once I confirm portable works. Assume the following...

I need to send additional hardware stereo sends to my UFX in addition to 1/2. When I try to send to 3/4 or 5/6 from Reaper via Hardware output, neither of those 4 channels make it to TotalMix - 7/8/9/10/11/12 do work it's just 3/4/5/6 that don't.

Pulling up any other audio app infers it's within Reaper's config and smells like something I need to hack the ini for. I've got the outputs set up to the entire range FWIW.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-16-2017 at 06:07 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
drummerboy

Fellow UFX (not Plus) user here, two things come to mind:

- Are all the Software Outputs (middle row) in RME TotalMix routed to their respective Hardware Outputs?
- Are you using 3/4 5/6 as Headphone Outs in TotalMix (Check "assign" button in the lower right corner)?

Frank
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
karbomusic

Hi Frank, thanks for the help. That's the rub, it isn't making it to the software outputs from Reaper. It does if I choose those channels in other software though. Headphone assignments aren't being used.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
karbomusic

And I'm back and need help. Portable works fine, my main portable install with the config I don't want to lose doesn't. Here is the problem again...

When routing to hardware outputs, channels 3/4/5/6 are not sent from Reaper to the hardware. So looking at the list of outputs below, the bolds ones all work...

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12

Again, a fresh portable version works as expected. I looked through the ini but I can't find anything that would prevent these four channels from passing audio from Reaper to TotalMix. The thing is, I think I have had this issue for a very long time but since I didn't need more than a handful of outputs (until now), I'd always just pick a working output and put it on my list to fix later....

It's later.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
drummerboy

Really weird - no idea what gremlin you got in your reaper.

Would it work if you import the config from your main install into a fresh install?
Maybe you could use a diff program to investigate your .ini to a fresh one that works.
Could be something tiny like a space after a channel number or a line break?
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 AM   #6
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

What happens if you drop the ini from your main install into the portable one that works?
If you want to post your ini here, I'll try it on a fresh portable install with my UFX and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
What happens if you drop the ini from your main install into the portable one that works?
If you want to post your ini here, I'll try it on a fresh portable install with my UFX and see what happens.
Thanks Dave,

Importing only the "config" section using import/export config immediately breaks the vanilla portable install. If I go in and delete the entire [audioconfig] section, not the key but all of it's contents, then select the UFX et al in the "there is no audio driver setup" dialog that appears, the problem remains.

If I delete the entire ini file, the problem goes away. I simply don't know which of the more crypting ini entires are at fault here but it seems to be one somewhere because deleting reaper.ini removes the issue. I'll do a explicit copy of reaper.ini from broken to working (instead of import/export) and confirm if the result is the same.

Edit: Nope that doesn't break it, so one of the other 20 or so config files is the problem.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
karbomusic

Well FFS. It's the ini file that holds the VSTs used in Monitoring FX. So, lets uncheck/bypass them one by one... And here's the culprit....

For whatever reason (which I'm not chasing down right now) having 6 channels enabled with that VST, breaks those 4 hardware outs - I didn't enable those in dpMeter2, but possible it saw others with multiple outs and tried to do the right thing. Meaning VSTs that live before it, don't seem to do that even with multiple channels. When I either disable dpMeter2 or drop it down to two channels, the problem disappears.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Good to hear you found the culprit.

FWIW, I had some weirdness with plugin pins causing strange and random audio issues when trying to configure them (sounded like buffer streaming errors) when I was using the Ambisonic toolkit for REAPER. Since switching to Blue Ripple plugins for the vast majority of my Ambisonic requirements, I haven't had those issues.