Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Any LCR Fans Here?

Left/Center/Right Mixing. In otherwords, in its strictest sense, every single track must sit in one of those positions, dead center, 100% left or 100% right. No in-betweens. In the past I have taken what appeared to be very troublesome mixes I had, LCR'd them and I was somewhat amazed at the improvement. Its not a cure all by any means but I've found that occassionaly it is the perfect remedy for a mix that just doesn't sit right.

Thoughts?

Karbo
Old 02-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Coerce

I'm LCR all the way here.

I do occasionally use the pan pots just on toms to place them. Normally I'm panning by duping a track between 2 channels and using the faders to pan them.
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

I think it can be very effective just be careful with hard panned material (that appears in the track alone) as on headphones (without the speaker crosstalk) it can give the listener an uncomfortable sensation of being deaf in one ear especially when panning it over time.

I'm a big fan of hard panning but i tend to create an "ambient" version of it on the opposite side.

Another thing to try if your not bothered about about mono compatibility is slightly delaying the signal in one speaker (haas panning) to create your stereo image as this is more in step with how we actually decode sound (although speakers need clever processing to get the best approximation.)
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
sweetbutt

a quick question: is mono compatibility a must everytime?
sweetbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
musicbynumbers

depends what the final destination of the media is.

I really wish we never had to bother with it but it still is a neccessary evil for most broadcast stuff and even when it's just plain old music, a lot of people still don't have their speakers in a great place, one behind the sofa, other on a book shelf

that's where hard panning can go a bit wrong and that's when delay based panning, faked ambience based, phase shift based or frequency based (or all 4) can be much better as you tend to have at least some of the same signal in both speakers (although mono is normally a bit shot by this but if checked on mono a compromise can often be made)
Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbutt View Post
a quick question: is mono compatibility a must everytime?
Only if the only way anybody is ever going to listen is on their ipod or home stereo. If it's going to be broadcast in any way (radio, TV, a lot of PA systems, etc) mono compatibility is definitely a must. FM radio uses a M/S scheme to make stereo happen and the Side signal tends to degrade first, not to mention that a lot of radios in the wild (things like clock radios) are mono. On TV, a lot of cable stations are in mono, and a lot of TV owners only use the built-in speakers on their TVs (no, not everybody has a big screen with 5.1, there's still a lot of analog TVs out there using converter boxes). A lot of live TV broadcasting gets mixed in mono, and a lot of material edited for later playback use the channels on the recording medium as "Channel 1 and Channel 2" for a VO and a music bed, for example, rather than using them as a Left/Right stereo pair.
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
bloodorangeonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Another thing to try if your not bothered about about mono compatibility is slightly delaying the signal in one speaker (haas panning) to create your stereo image as this is more in step with how we actually decode sound (although speakers need clever processing to get the best approximation.)
This sounds interesting. Do you mean delay the signal in one speaker on the Master channel, or individual tracks?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
musicbynumbers

Per channel instead of (or as well as) volume based panning as the human ear makes more use of the difference in timing, tiny phase shifts in frequency and changes in mostly higher frequencies much more than volume.

In the real world, volume reflects distance much more than positional information since there is never much difference in volume between the left and right ear especially the lower in frequency you go (since the head's filtering effect makes less of an impact the lower you go)

I think reaper has a delay based pan effect as a js somewhere too