Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Revived Song - Dustbowl

I wrote this in 2009 specifically to showcase my music buddies Joey Larsen on guitar (now deceased) and Polymod on keys (still kicking). I wrote it so each of them could take a turn playing to some straight forward jazz, then medium funk and finally balls to the wall rock.

I imported it from another DAW (Sonar), ditched all the FX and the midi drums it had, then recorded all new acoustic drums with my current setup and re-mixed it with my current set of FX.

No need to comment unless you just really want to, but if listening to it brings a smile across your face, then it was mission accomplished.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13900545

-
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
rncwalker

Very Good!
reminds me of Early Jeff Beck music.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Glennbo

Thanks Robert. I worked with Joey in several bands over the years before his demise. He was a phenominal guitarist.

In the 80s he was in the roster of guitar players that Matt Forger had on speed dial and he appears (uncredited) on many productions that came out of West Hollywood's Record Plant.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
nait

Cool tune.. the keyboard solo near the end is probably the best part of the song! Words I've probably never uttered before. lol
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
Cool tune.. the keyboard solo near the end is probably the best part of the song! Words I've probably never uttered before. lol
Thanks cstooch. Larry (Polymod) Benigno approached me about 20 years ago in an old school NNTP newsgroup about a song I had posted where I played a synthesizer part, which he posted back that he believed he could make the solo better, so I gave him a shot.

I figgered it might be better, but wasn't expecting the pot-o-gold smoking solo that I got back from him on that song. He's been joining in on my projects since then and we've never met face to face, but talked on the phone. About 1500 miles from each other.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Jeffsounds

Very cool! Nicely done. I could use a synth player like him on a song of mine. What does he charge for outside work?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Very cool! Nicely done. I could use a synth player like him on a song of mine. What does he charge for outside work?
Thanks Jeff. Poly doesn't play for hire that I'm aware of, but if you need your piano tuned and live near Connecticut, he's definitely your man! Dood has perfect pitch and does it by ear.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
morgon

Nice one Glennbo, a special mention for your playing on that excellent drumkit, it's a cool drumsound, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Nice one Glennbo, a special mention for your playing on that excellent drumkit, it's a cool drumsound, cheers.
Thanks Morgon. I had fun playing on it, which for me is the whole point. When I wrote this song and pitched it to Joey and Poly I told them to have fun and play stuff that was fun for them to play, not what they thought I or someone else might want to hear.

I used a new Behringer UMC1820 that I recently acquired with two overheads, kick, snare and room on this kit.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
Sambo Rouge

Glennbo,

Takes me back to my youthful jazz scene in Vancouver when I was a student.

Billy Cobham, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, Chick Corea etc.

Love the drums -- you did well to dump the midi drums. Sounds great --- the lead guitar ain't too shabby either.

Compliments to one and all.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Glennbo,

Takes me back to my youthful jazz scene in Vancouver when I was a student.

Billy Cobham, Mahavishnu, Weather Report, Chick Corea etc.
My Alma Mater! I was in the jazz band in school and decided to take lessons from a jazz guy to get more honed. He eventually asked me WTF I was doing taking lessons, and I told him I just wanted to expand my skill set. The next lesson he brought the Mahavishnu Orchestra's album Inner Mounting Flame, gave it to me and that was my last lesson with him. After that I was hooked, and went totally progressive jazz for a number of years before realizing I had written off a lot of other good music that wasn't hard to play.

Quote:
Love the drums -- you did well to dump the midi drums. Sounds great --- the lead guitar ain't too shabby either.

Compliments to one and all.
Thanks Sambo! For me, music is all about having fun with no specific rules or boundaries. Capturing performances that have emotion and project a smile is what I try to do. My friend Joey Larsen (God rest his soul) who appears on this song would sometimes chuckle as he was playing some of the most incredible riffs on guitar I've ever heard anyone play, and those are the kind of moments where I'm glad I'm recording what is happening.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #12
Timothy Lawler

It brought a smile. Nice.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
It brought a smile. Nice.
Thanks Timothy.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
prom

Damn good looking sparkle finish and color on those.
I'm not a drum tech and so was wondering about your use of 2nd Hihat? I have not seen anyone doing that before.
Bass drum looks punchy (dimensions?), I see depth of snare.
Quality drum kit..nice!
A fine recording featuring accomplished musicians.

Last edited by prom; 07-17-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Additional txt after listening to track
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Damn good looking sparkle finish and color on those.
I'm not a drum tech and so was wondering about your use of 2nd Hihat? I have not seen anyone doing that before.
Thanks Prom, the second hihat for me is the primary hihat and is the one used on this song. I have it fitted with a smaller 12" pair of Zildjian Special Recording hihats, which are the size Stewart Copland uses for all the intricate hihat work he does.

The DW5000 cable hihat pedal is as smooth as the traditional pedal, and having the hihats where a second tom would go makes it quick to get on and off. I use the other hihat with 14" Zildjian NewBeats when I'm on my side-snare. Both of them are higher pitched and sound good for tight and poppy stuff.

Quote:
Bass drum looks punchy (dimensions?), I see depth of snare.
Quality drum kit..nice!
A fine recording featuring accomplished musicians.
The kick is 16" in diameter and 14" deep. It's very punchy.

Thanks again Prom.

Here's a shot where you can see the side snare and pedals. The side snare doubles as a timbale with the snares off.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-17-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #16
prom

Was thinking about Stewart Copeland the other day,remembering early Police sound (1st two albums)It was a special time.There was something in the sound/dynamic? Anyway,it's interesting to hear/see you have been quite inventive in order to squeeze more possibilities out of percussion.

Awesome!

I did not see you had three toms there until 2nd photo (if I sat down behind that I would have to tear myself away)Kick is even smaller than I thought,I was going to guess around 20.0 x 16.0
One extra pedal at Hihat I don't understand?

Last edited by prom; 07-17-2019 at 01:56 PM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
Timothy Lawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

Here's a shot where you can see the side snare and pedals. The side snare doubles as a timbale with the snares off.

Holy crap. I could never be a drummer. I'm counting 13 things in the pic that you have to deal with while performing. It's hard enough dealing with 6 strings for me.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Was thinking about Stewart Copeland the other day,remembering early Police sound (1st two albums)It was a special time.There was something in the sound/dynamic? Anyway,it's interesting to hear/see you have been quite inventive in order to squeeze more possibilities out of percussion.

Awesome!
I frequently jam to Police songs for fun and having the remote hihat where it is allows side-stick snare and quick easy access to the hihat. I don't know for sure if Copeland used a remote hihat, but for me it sure makes copying his licks a lot easier.

Stuff like Walking on the Moon uses side-stick and a lot of fancy hihat.

Quote:
I did not see you had three toms there until 2nd photo (if I sat down behind that I would have to tear myself away)Kick is even smaller than I thought,I was going to guess around 20.0 x 16.0
One extra pedal at Hihat I don't understand?
What looks like the first tom is actually the side-snare and with the snares turned off sounds like a timbale or the rototoms like Bill Bruford used to use. With the snares on it's perfect for tight funk because it's got that popcorn/firecracker kind of sound.

The three pedals on the left, from left to right are the DW5000 remote hihat, a DW5000 standard hihat, and a DW3000 double kick pedal with the other one on the kick drum with both beaters.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Holy crap. I could never be a drummer. I'm counting 13 things in the pic that you have to deal with while performing. It's hard enough dealing with 6 strings for me.
You may have only six strings, but also four fingers and how many fret positions? That said, I do like having a lot of things near me to hit though.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #20
zeekat

Heh thought Polymod was your bandmate or something. Late Joey was killing it on guitar for sure.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Heh thought Polymod was your bandmate or something. Late Joey was killing it on guitar for sure.
Joey was my bandmate for about 20 years through three different bands. The last gig we played together was about five years ago, but he was still coming over to record in my studio up until he checked out in 2016. He was sure a great guitar player.

I've known and worked with Polymod for as long, but we've never been in the same room together, and only know each other from years of online presence. He likes my music and usually wants to play something when I send him a rough to listen to.