Old 01-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
ry_cooder
Human being with feelings

Default Plugins not loaded (randomly)

Hi,

I'm encountering a strange problem with Reaper. On a busy project I can't load some plugins and I have this error: "The following effect plugin could not be loaded... effect configuration is preserved". But I can load the same plugins in a different or smaller project.

More strange, the plugins that I can't load aren't always the same ... they're chosen randomly! Sometimes I can load an heavy VSTi like Omnisphere (because I already have an instance in the same project), but at the same time I can't load ReaComp (????)

Last edited by ry_cooder; 01-18-2017 at 12:57 PM.
ry_cooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
ivansc

Stab in the dark here, but you could (since it is happening in large projects) be running out of resources needed to load all the plugins.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
ry_cooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Stab in the dark here, but you could (since it is happening in large projects) be running out of resources needed to load all the plugins.
thanks, it could be... because I have also an other error when i'm trying to save big project: "Error writing to project file. Disk full?", even if I have more than 200gb of free disk space. Normally I have to just to wait few minutes without using Reaper then I can save my project.

Maybe the two errors are linked? It's a kind of RAM issue?
Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
ivansc

G'wan then - give us your current computer and interface spec....
Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
ry_cooder

Quote:
G'wan then - give us your current computer and interface spec....
Intel i7 3770k ivy bridge socket 1155LGA
ASrock z77 extreme 4
16 GB RAM DD3 1600 mhz dual cahannel
RME babyface pro

I generally stuck at 86% RAM and 70%cpu usage, and I also checked my paging file is 24 gb.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
ry_cooder

evermore, it's not unusual to load a big project and have an error like:"the following plugin could not be loaded" at the very beginning ... so I close the project, restart everything and load the project again and it should works
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Masonic

I have the same problem: "The following effect plugin could not be loaded... effect configuration is preserved".

This is mostly related to my ilok plugins but some other freeware plugs are also having this problem. I'm getting this message in projects that are not big at all: 15 tracks and about 15/25 plugins all together. This should not be happening.
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:24 AM   #8
ivansc

Sorry but I am having a CRAFT moment - the reason I asked about spec was because I had seen a very recent post about exactly this problem but sadly I forgot to note WHERE and cant remember.
I hate getting old.
But if you are using 86% of 16gb ram and 70% cpu you do have an awful lot of SOMETHING already going on. Hasve you tried rendering a couple of tracks that use samplers/romplers/a lot of ram to see if that helps with loading the missing plugs?

Masonic: It sort of depends on what plugins and what spec your computer is as to how well it will cope with the load.
Same advice to you regarding rendering and removing the appropriate plug(s)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
Masonic

My system has 32gigs of ram DDR4 ,Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA, all SSD drives. Win 8.1 Pro. RME audio AIO.

I'm running only two contact instruments and this should not be happening. In fact, considering Reaper's overall CPU efficiency, this shouldn't even register on my system. Also, Reaper loads some plugins and not others. And sometimes it tells me that there is something missing in my Soundtoys plugins and still loads them ( I even updated them to 5.2 last night and it is still the same)without problems but the new VSS3 plug is often having problems. Everything loads fine in Samplitude and Audition but Reaper is choking.

There is something broken in here for sure. I tried going back to 5.3, then 5.311...so far no luck.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
ivansc

Masonic: Yep - with a spec like that, assuming you did due diligence when setting the box up for audio you shouldn't be seeing any issues with that setup.

What bit depth etc are you running & what do you have your ASIO buffer set a ? Is it exactly the same setup as with the other 2 DAWs?
(I am guessing yes - just trying to narrow it down)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Masonic

Most of my projects are 24/96. I tried different buffer settings, and so far - no luck.

I'm beginning to think that there could be something faulty with my set up. It also could be that just one installed plugin creating all this havoc in Reaper. Though, all my plugins are 64bit and, for consistency sake, I disabled 32bit bridging.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
ivansc

I was thinking along the lines of maybe you have the ASIO buffer actually set too large, which can cause issues like yours on certain interface/computer hardware combinations according to what I have seen posted on here before.

Sorry none of this is helping so far. FWIW I always work in either 44.1 or 48, so my experience with 96 amount to ONE project ages ago, when I decided I didnt need the extra cpu & filesize overhead for the difference it made.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
ry_cooder

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of maybe you have the ASIO buffer actually set too large
This solved some problem, thanks.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #14
Coachz

I'm getting that error to. Doesn't matter if i'm at 64 or 128 buffer. How to fix this please ? Effect could not be loaded, effect configuration is preserved.

SOLVED: Removed c:\vsts\32; from vst path, cleared cache, rescanned, added c:\vsts\32; rescanned.

Last edited by Coachz; 01-29-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
ry_cooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I'm getting that error to. Doesn't matter if i'm at 64 or 128 buffer. How to fix this please ? Effect could not be loaded, effect configuration is preserved.

SOLVED: Removed c:\vsts\32; from vst path, cleared cache, rescanned, added c:\vsts\32; rescanned.
You had problems only with 32 plugins?
Old 07-07-2019, 03:00 AM   #16
Mr. PC

I'm getting this problem, and it seems only from 64 bit plugins.

Kontakt 32 loads, but not Kontakt 64....

(8700k, 64gb ram, lots of HD space, using ASIO4ALL, Direct Drivers, and Native Asio with various buffers.)
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 AM   #17
Mr. PC

Not sure what I did, but for some reason now the 64bit plugins don't even appear (when I try to add new VSTs. Before they would show up, but just load in an offline state).
Old 07-09-2019, 01:58 AM   #18
guycalledxan

The thread reads like it could be a couple of different issues for different people. For Mr. PC, it could be the same issue as the one I'm having?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222603

You could try the workaround at the bottom of my last post, see if that helps.

But it could just as likely be different because the Project Load Warning I got when I booted Reaper and one of the effects in the vanishing folder was reported missing was:

Quote:
The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.

Track 1: VST: some_vst (some_author)
guycalledxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:06 AM   #19
Mr. PC

The problem seemed to only exist in my portable install, so now I'm just using the regular version. Still curious what the issue was, but I'm happy just that it's working for the moment so I can get some music done before my computer fall apart again!