Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 05:04 PM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default v6.78+dev0325 - March 25 2023

v6.78+dev0325 - March 25 2023
  • * Includes feature branch: configurable naming for in-project MIDI items
  • * Includes feature branch: updated Windows manifest for newer OS features
  • * Includes feature branch: always running non-bypassed FX when the UI is visible
  • * Includes feature branch: crossfade new recording with existing media items if configured
  • * Includes feature branch: video from background projects
  • * Includes feature branch: FX containers
  • * Includes feature branch: improvements to aligning takes after recording
  • * Includes feature branch: arrange view override mouse modifier sections
  • * Includes feature branch: toolbar armed/special animations
  • * Includes feature branch: pooled and unpooled ARA edits
  • * Includes feature branch: fixed lane comping
  • * Includes feature branch: shortcut import/export improvements and multiple main keyboard sections
  • * Includes feature branch: preview item selection for grouped tracks
  • * Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + API: fix return value for Take/TrackFX_GetNamedConfigParm fx_type for CLAP plugins
  • + FX: rename-FX window uses modal window positioning preference
  • + MIDI: improve MIDI device preferences pane
  • + Media item lanes: add mouse modifiers to copy comp area and media items together
  • + Notation: improve PDF export support for latin-1 characters in lyrics/etc [t=276251]
  • + ReaScript: allow renaming FX via TrackFX_SetNamedConfigParm(renamed_name), also allow querying pre-renamed name via FX_GetNamedConfigParm(original_name) [t=276873]
  • # MIDI editor: fix step recording from hardware inputs
  • # MIDI: fix latency setting for high-indexed output devices
  • # MIDI: loopback devices support output latency values
  • # Media item lanes: double-click anywhere on unsynced comp area to copy edits to a new lane and re-comp
  • # Media item lanes: fix some incorrect crossfade interaction behavior when comp areas are close to each other
  • # Media item lanes: fix some situations where comp areas unsync unnecessarily [p=2662856]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 03-25-2023, 05:05 PM   #2
_Stevie_

The new MIDI devices dialog is fantastic, thanks devs!
Old 03-25-2023, 05:14 PM   #3
Vagelis

[*]+ Media item lanes: add mouse modifiers to copy comp area and media items together

You're awesome, thanks so much for considering, works great so far and it's very useful!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 07:28 PM   #4
bolgwrad

I do believe you're boldly going where no comping system has gone before.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:52 PM   #5
Daodan

Quote:
# Media item lanes: fix some incorrect crossfade interaction behavior when comp areas are close to each other
Much better but still a bit off
Daodan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:57 AM   #6
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
I do believe you're boldly going where no comping system has gone before.
but missing big on layering. Fixed Item Position is all about comping. Layering does not make sense. I guess no one records midi in this forum section or they don't see the point of recording and layering in a single track. Drums, Instruments layers.

example: you record chords of one synth. Then you want to layer a melody. Traditionally we would do that in 2 tracks. We could do flowly in this Fixed Item Position, but everything is just so oriented for the comping, that consequently is not layering recording oriented.

unless i am missing something, which no one was able to explain, this is not subjective.

Last edited by deeb; 03-26-2023 at 01:05 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:46 AM   #7
tohubohu

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
v6.78+dev0325 - March 25 2023[*]+ Notation: improve PDF export support for latin-1 characters in lyrics/etc [t=276251]
thanks, it works.
to completely improve the PDF export, here is a summary of the 6 things to fix for it to be perfect in my opinion.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=277592
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:54 AM   #8
inthevoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
but missing big on layering. Fixed Item Position is all about comping. Layering does not make sense. I guess no one records midi in this forum section or they don't see the point of recording and layering in a single track. Drums, Instruments layers.

example: you record chords of one synth. Then you want to layer a melody. Traditionally we would do that in 2 tracks. We could do flowly in this Fixed Item Position, but everything is just so oriented for the comping, that consequently is not layering recording oriented.

unless i am missing something, which no one was able to explain, this is not subjective.
May be better suited to a feature request post?
inthevoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:15 AM   #9
inthevoid

Quote:
Seconded, thanks!
inthevoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:44 AM   #10
FeedTheCat

Quote:
# Media item lanes: double-click anywhere on unsynced comp area to copy edits to a new lane and re-comp
This does not interact well with the "Fixed lane comp area" double click modifier:

Old 03-26-2023, 03:20 AM   #11
Vagelis

Quote:
[*]# Media item lanes: double-click anywhere on unsynced comp area to copy edits to a new lane and re-comp
I think double click anywhere would be better and make more sense to unsync the area in comp lane, so we could move it without moving the item first, and to copy edits to a new lane and re-comp when double clicking on the triangle.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:40 AM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
+ ReaScript: allow renaming FX via TrackFX_SetNamedConfigParm(renamed_name), also allow querying pre-renamed name via FX_GetNamedConfigParm(original_name) [t=276873]
Absolutely awesome! Thank you so much. For those who want to know how this works:
reaper.TrackFX_SetNamedConfigParm(track, fx, 'renamed_name','New Name') will set current FX instance name to 'New Name'.
reaper.TrackFX_SetNamedConfigParm(track, fx, 'renamed_name','') will set current FX instance name to the original one.

reaper.TrackFX_GetNamedConfigParm(track, fx, 'renamed_name') will get 'New Name' and an empty string ('') for FX instances with original names.

Works as expected for any plugin type (not tested with LV2 and AU).
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:47 AM   #13
vitalker

Quote:
+ API: fix return value for Take/TrackFX_GetNamedConfigParm fx_type for CLAP plugins
Thank you. This is fixed and now 'fx_type' works for all types.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:15 AM   #14
FeedTheCat

Quote:
# Media item lanes: double-click anywhere on unsynced comp area to copy edits to a new lane and re-comp
I'd propose this instead:

Double clicking on a synced area in the comp lane, unsyncs it.

Train of thought:

Vagelis already mentioned that manually unsyncing an area will be useful once only the comp lane is visible. (In order to move/copy area contents without touching the source lane)

In the last dev version we established that unsynced areas are not affected by any item edit.
I propose we double down on that and use it to our advantage:

Let's make it so that certain item edits can affect their comp area by default, but only as long as the comp area is synced. If you want to preserve the area throughout those edits, double click to unsync it. Unsynced areas are not affected by item edits.

These are the item edits I'm alluding to:

Ferropop mentioned that he'd expect an area to stay in sync when razor deleting parts of it. I've mentioned that I'd expect item splits to also split synced comp areas.

Are there currently alternate methods to achieve the same results? Yes.

But I'd argue that this is not a matter of muscle memory, but a matter of workflow consistency with the rest of reaper. Having our "usual" toolkit (like "s" to split) keep areas synced is in our interest, as it is the desired outcome in most situations.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:18 AM   #15
_Stevie_

@devs: is there a chance we could get what Klangfarben proposed here?
That would make the dialog perfect.

https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=40
Old 03-26-2023, 04:32 AM   #16
lb0

Quote:
@devs: is there a chance we could get what Klangfarben proposed here?
That would make the dialog perfect.

https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=40
Yes yes. Would be really helpful to tailor what ends up in all midi inputs.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:03 AM   #17
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Let's make it so that certain item edits can affect their comp area by default
One of the things that still bugs me are the fades, also what i'm thinking mostly is how to find a way between synced and unsynced areas so everything is connected, i think it's the last piece of the puzzle.

Regarding fades and your quote, I think fades should be one of the things that should be shown on the sources as well. The existing behavior that changes the comp area length with fades makes it a bit complicated, especially when we drag to re-adjust that comp area. Also the area unsyncs if i drag the fade to the end of the item.
I think if fades would show up in the sources without changing the comp area length, could make it more simple. (even though for this to happen it should split the item I guess and auto heal when there's no fades)

Old 03-26-2023, 06:04 AM   #18
krahosk

Quote:
[*]+ Notation: improve PDF export support for latin-1 characters in lyrics/etc
On LINUX: Speaking of lyrics, there is this bug:
When you navigate with the insert lyrics window, lyrics are often skipped and not displayed accordingly with the cursor when moving forward.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....19#post2663219

Last edited by krahosk; 03-27-2023 at 07:53 AM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:29 AM   #19
nofish

Speaking of overhauling the MIDI devices dialog, could we maybe have enabled/disabled for the Control/OSC/web assigned devices too?
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...12&postcount=5
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:51 AM   #20
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Regarding fades and your quote, I think fades should be one of the things that should be shown on the sources as well. The existing behavior that changes the comp area length with fades makes it a bit complicated, especially when we drag to re-adjust that comp area. Also the area unsyncs if i drag the fade to the end of the item.
I think if fades would show up in the sources without changing the comp area length, could make it more simple. (even though for this to happen it should split the item I guess and auto heal when there's no fades)
Just to clarify, by "certain item edits can affect their comp area" I meant where the comp area start/ends, not modifying source lane content!

Fades could maybe show like this when not overlapping with another area, not sure if possible:

Old 03-26-2023, 07:00 AM   #21
Vagelis

Quote:
Just to clarify, by "certain item edits can affect their comp area" I meant where the comp area start/ends, not modifying source lane content!

Fades could maybe show like this when not overlapping with another area, not sure if possible:

This looks nice, predictable and doesn't change anything else other than what we adjust.

Maybe the fades could show up in the comp area source when adjusting the item in comp lane so it could stay in sync? And remove fades from the source comp area when there's crossfade in comp lane.

EDIT: In general every other daw that allows flexible editing, everything stays always in sync because some edits are reflected to the sources. I think we should find which those edits are and compromise. For me fades are one of those, but instead of reflecting straight to the source, the could be reflected to their comp area.
And as i see it, the other option would be to always reflect edits to the sources and everything stay in sync, but with an action to toggle this behavior.

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-26-2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:24 AM   #22
Funkybot

Quote:
[list] [*]+ MIDI: improve MIDI device preferences pane

I think there are two related issues with the MIDI Devices:

1. If I "Forget Device" under MIDI inputs, the device lingers on the Output Devices

Expected Result: Forgetting a device should remove it from both lists. I want to forget the entire device.

2. For most Output devices, the "Forget Device" option doesn't appear in the right-click menu at all. In fact, for most output devices on my system, there's no Forget Device option, but some do include it.

Expected Result: if it's intended we forget devices separately for inputs and outputs, then the option should appear in the above example.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:09 AM   #23
vsthem

Are there still kinks to work out with the video from background projects feature? I tested it out, and it seems to do exactly what's needed. I'd love to see it released outside of the pre-releases.

Also, appreciate all of you testing these awesome looking new features and giving your feedback. The new comping system looks like it's gonna be great
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:17 AM   #24
ovnis

Is it a bug?

If after moving a comp item, I create a new item, the first comp item is croped!

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:31 AM   #25
Denys

Thank you for working on the MIDI window!

1. One thing that I find frustrating is the impossiblity to resize the window, both horizontally and vertically. Status can be long and "ERROR NOT FOU..." isn't very elegant. But more than the horizontal side, I find vertical navigation a little tedious considering the number of MIDI devices I have been using.

2. Another useful improvement would be a little visual feedback next to a device name when a MIDI message is received or sent by Reaper. I think something as simple as a colour dot in the Status column could help check easily if all devices are working properly even if no MIDI track has been created.

3. It would be nice if we could move the separation between the two lists, in order to show more of one side over another.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:01 AM   #26
Infrabass

Quote:
[*]+ ReaScript: allow renaming FX via TrackFX_SetNamedConfigParm(renamed_name), also allow querying pre-renamed name via FX_GetNamedConfigParm(original_name) [t=276873]
Thanks so much Cockos!
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:15 AM   #27
Thonex

@ FeedTheCat, @ Vagelis,

I see you guys are mentioning fade behavior with synced vs unsynced Comps. By the way you are describing it, maybe "Synced" comps mean something different to me... how would you guys describe/explain synced and unsynced with the way it is currently with Reaper Comps? I.e., what exactly makes a comp or item unsynced?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 03-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #28
EpicSounds

something in recent dev builds has broken ReaLearn2 extension
Old 03-26-2023, 11:46 AM   #29
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
how would you guys describe/explain synced and unsynced with the way it is currently with Reaper Comps? I.e., what exactly makes a comp or item unsynced?
I'd say it's a comp area that has no counterpart in a source lane (i.e. the ones with the triangle).

This usually means that the comp and source don't match, but in what way exactly and if it only means that is still up for debate I guess.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 03-26-2023 at 12:30 PM.
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:13 PM   #30
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
something in recent dev builds has broken ReaLearn2 extension
Might be handled already?
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=101
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:43 PM   #31
Thonex

Quote:
I think double click anywhere would be better and make more sense to unsync the area in comp lane, so we could move it without moving the item first, and to copy edits to a new lane and re-comp when double clicking on the triangle.
Can't that be done with Razor Drag+Copy ?
Old 03-26-2023, 01:53 PM   #32
Thonex

Quote:
One of the things that still bugs me are the fades, also what i'm thinking mostly is how to find a way between synced and unsynced areas so everything is connected, i think it's the last piece of the puzzle.
As far as I can tell, you can avoid unsynced comps by doing the following:

1) Only move stuff in the Fixed lanes
2) Make sure you do not drag Comp lanes outside of the referenced fixed-lane item's source boundaries.

As long as I've followed these rules, I haven't seen any weird fades. I think you can use the Comp Lane to adjust x-fades, as long as you are aware of the referenced item's source boundaries (otherwise you get that unsynced ∆).

Maybe the Devs could put hard limits on swiping and dragging a comp area or x-fade at the referenced items' source boundaries. Otherwise, the user has to be responsible for their own actions... no?

Last edited by Thonex; 03-26-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:56 PM   #33
Thonex

Quote:
I'd say it's a comp area that has no counterpart in a source lane (i.e. the ones with the triangle).

This usually means that the comp and source don't match, but in what way exactly and if it only means that is still up for debate I guess.
Thanks mate!
Old 03-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #34
souk21

Quote:
+ MIDI: improve MIDI device preferences pane
Thanks for the improvement!

Sorting only works for the first two columns (Device name and status) but doesn't work for the "enable" "control" or "ID" columns. Clicking the header move lines around but they're not sorted. (on OSX)

Ha and btw, the help text for the "Add virtual MIDI..." button still says "Creates a new joystick-MIDI device", no mention of loopback.
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:21 PM   #35
Vagelis

Quote:
Can't that be done with Razor Drag+Copy ?
It could unsync with any edit but that's not the point. It should unsync when we want it, without changing anything else and in a more sophisticated way that feels connected with this feature. In previous pres we could click on it and unsync. Now some other edit has to be done to unsync it, which is not the case when we don't want to make any changes to unsync.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, you can avoid unsynced comps by doing the following:

1) Only move stuff in the Fixed lanes
2) Make sure you do not drag Comp lanes outside of the referenced fixed-lane item's source boundaries.

As long as I've followed these rules, I haven't seen any weird fades. I think you can use the Comp Lane to adjust x-fades, as long as you are aware of the referenced item's source boundaries (otherwise you get that unsynced ∆).

Maybe the Devs could put hard limits on swiping and dragging a comp area or x-fade at the referenced items' source boundaries. Otherwise, the user has to be responsible for their own actions... no?
Of course I'm only editing in fixed lanes, it's where i find the strength of this system.
But that doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement in comp lane behavior so it becomes a complete system. Also most of the users as i see it, prefer to edit in the comp lane, so that's why I think we should focus on that part in the current stage and make it as much connected with fixed lanes.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:23 PM   #36
mschnell

Quote:
I did not check yet .

Does it allow for "optional" Midi devices that can be switched off without permanently repeating an error message ?

Does it resolve the problem Windows imposes by renaming certain devices when plugging them to a different socket ?
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:45 PM   #37
Thonex

Quote:
It could unsync with any edit but that's not the point. It should unsync when we want it, without changing anything else and in a more sophisticated way that feels connected with this feature.
I'm curious, what benefit does unsyncing provide and when would we "want it"? To me, granted, this is coming from Nuendo etc., unsynced meant something went wrong... like your multiple tracks are not 100% sample-accurate with the edits. I'm just trying to understand why unsyncing is a good thing or useful.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:57 PM   #38
AZpercussion

Default Сrossfade new recording with existing media items if configured

When both options fades and crossfades enabled it should follow crossfade one on split to have smooth transition between sounds and between sound and silence. That's have the most sense.

For now it looks like:

AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:43 PM   #39
bolgwrad

Quote:
I'm curious, what benefit does unsyncing provide and when would we "want it"? To me, granted, this is coming from Nuendo etc., unsynced meant something went wrong... like your multiple tracks are not 100% sample-accurate with the edits. I'm just trying to understand why unsyncing is a good thing or useful.

Thanks.
My 2c worth would be that an 'unsync' means that you have made a change: a fade, split or other edit, whether in the comp or the source, that you decide to commit to or else undo. That's why the double-click to sync (I still prefer just the glyph) is useful; it means you have done an item/comp edit and are moving along a stage.

It might be that you want to undo a whole sequence in retrospect, which is why the duplicate+sync is worth having.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:21 PM   #40
FeedTheCat

Quote:

Thanks.
Unsynced comp areas are not desirable, but if we want to leave source lanes untouched and have multiple comp lanes, we can't avoid them. That's why imo we should do our best to embrace them and use them to our advantage where we can.

What I was suggesting above is that you could deliberately unsync an area in order to edit its items without affecting the area. At the moment this is only item edges:

You usually want comp areas to move with edges, but if you don't, this could be handy tool to have. I argued that the same applies to item splits and razor cuts. You usually want them to affect the area because otherwise you'd end up with (undesirable) unsynced areas, but we'd need access to both behaviors.

Vagelis is already thinking about editing when only the comp lane is visible. There it also would be a handy tool to have, so that we can quickly move/copy comp areas without editing the source lane: