Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #1281
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fripholm View Post
Benjamin, I understand that there's a controller preset for the MiniLab MKII in ReaLearn.

Two questions:
1) MKII's preset no. 1 (which is read-only) defaults to ABSOLUTE mode for all encoders except 1 and 9, so I assume that you made a copy of preset no. 1 and changed all the others to RELATIVE mode as well. If so, which mode and are there any other changes to be made (with respect to the default preset) for ReaLearn to take full advantage of the MKII?

2) When powered, the MKII always defaults to this first read-only preset with ABSOLUTE mode. Is there a way to switch to another preset when ReaLearn is instantiated so it doesn't have to be done manually?
1) This is explained in detail in the user guide: https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...a-minilab-mkii

2) Not that I know of If you find out, let me know, too ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
sure, sent an email your way yesterday. i found the issue, i think it has something to do with a toolbar/UI refresh coming from another script.

ps, your MIDI/osc converter addition is going to be outrageously useful. thank you! where were you a few years ago, when i painstakingly cobbled together something functional but stupid using Processing and Bidule
Glad someone uses that already

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrannial View Post
Sometimes when I am using 'Track: Select/unselect' with a mapping, the 'Scroll Mixer' setting which I have turned on, somehow turns itself off without me knowing why. So when I select a track using my controller, I cannot see it focus in the mixer and I have to re-enable the setting in the mapping. Could this be a bug?
Oh, you are right! Catastrophe! It's not saved! Fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Hi Helgoboss.

I think I found a bug with taget action 40157.
I've set my midi fighter twister to that target, it works as expected with press&realease option but hence makes two marker with one click. Once set to press only option, it works only once until I press my reaper shortcup for marker again.
Cheers
You need to set Invoke to "Trigger". Actions are unfortunately very diverse in how they should be invoked. If someone is bored, they could send me a big list of built-in REAPER action command IDs and how they should be invoked and I would make ReaLearn automatically choose the right invocation mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeighth View Post
I really want to make it work on more channels, but editing JSON data is frustrating for me since I'm not a programmer. Anyway, I will update it and post somewhere on forum or to reaper stash when I'm done.
By channels you mean tracks, right? I hate to tell you now that you already put a lot of effort into this but there's a much easier way to have multiple track banks, with much less mappings and only one mapping group. It's similar to conditional activation in that it also uses an internal ReaLearn parameter, so you can keep your "Bank Switch" parameter. But the rest is different: First, set the group's Active dropdown to "Always" (because we don't need any conditional activation for this). For each track-related mapping in that group, set track to "<Dynamic>". This allows you to use something like an Excel formula to determine the track. E.g. you could enter "p2 * 100" for the first track in any bank, "p2 * 100 + 1" for the second track in any bank, and so on. Have a look at the main preset "DAW control" which makes extensive use of this in order to emulate a typical Mackie-like DAW control.

Quote:
First of all - is there any way to highlight tracks that are now in a bank?
I saw this in MIDIMix for OSCII-bot config - when you switch the bank to the next one, tracks in the mixer and editor window will highlight with different colors. I'm sure it was made thanks to SWS and I want to do something like that here. But obviously don't know-how. Any thoughts? Is that even possible? If not, any other way to indicate that the bank is switched would be nice.
There's no built-in easy way to achieve this. Pretty sure this could be done by writing a Lua script that queries ReaLearn's "Bank Switch" parameter value and colorizes tracks accordingly. You could let ReaLearn trigger this script by mapping it to the same buttons like "Prev Bank" and "Next Bank" and using "Fire after timeout" with at least 1ms of timeout (to make sure the bank is switched already when the script is executed).

Quote:
Secondly, I don't know what to do with the "Send all" button =D

And lastly, well...can we do something with faders? Let me describe the situation: I moved fader 1 for track 1 in bank 1, then I've switched off to bank 2 and moved fader 1 which now controls track 9. Then I've switched back to bank 1 and moved fader 1 again. And here's the problem: when I move the fader on the device, the track's fader will jump to that position of the device's fader. What I want and need is keeping track 1 fader position and moving it only when the device's fader will get to track 1's fader position. Is that possible to do? Maybe I'm missing some option in ReaLearn?
You need to set "Jump Min" to a very small value and then choose a takeover mode that suits you.

Quote:
P.S: I really can't make the solo button work as "press & hold". I wrote about it before - I want to press and hold the solo button and then press mute buttons while holding the solo button to solo tracks. But it's not working. Pressing the solo button toggles the parameter, but pressing mute buttons while holding solo does nothing. I guess it's a device's problem.
If you want "press & hold" (= momentary) instead of "press 1 = on & press 2 = off" (toggle), you need to set mode to "Normal" in the "Solo Toggler" mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookhinton View Post
Howdy Helgoboss and all. Another voice on the aforementioned send-feedback-on-VST-preset-change issue.
I just got an Electra One and it is, so far, a DREAM coupled with Realearn.. but since it is absolute only (albeit with 256 value per rev accelerated encoders and adjustable res up to 14-bit and a feedback screen, so still a huge advance), it unfortunately makes a previous problem mentioned several posts ago even more maddening - that with certain VSTs (including, alas, almost ALL of those I use), changing the VST preset does not trigger feedback from Realearn back to the controller, making this ALMOST THERE solution still not usable live for synths like Zebra that invite patches with sometimes a couple of hundred of params you want to adjust in performance.
I do note, though, that the "Send feedback now" command in the ctrl-click header menu DOES update everything.
If we could control that "send feedback now" command with a midi message... maybe a temporary workaround could be hacked together in some cases? Would require some muscle memory for the performer to remember to tap a footswitch/pad/whatever when changing VST presets, but its bette than nothing, and would make the dream reality - a bit clunkier than the ideal, but still a reality!
As Regisfofo mentions, ReaLearn offers a REAPER action named "ReaLearn: Send feedback for all instances". I want to see how I can improve the situation with Zebra and Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deseipel View Post
Disregard, I needed to upgrade to the latest

Hi there when I try to use relearn to toggle the volume between two decibel levels I find that it only works when you use the sliders in the min and Max sections if you put your cursor in the text box and enter a value manually it does not work. Can someone please confirm
Okay, assuming this has been solved by upgrading to latest version.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #1282
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
I loaded up the CSI extension, and somehow this extension does manage to get a refresh on preset change, even for plugins which don't otherwise support it (e.g. Native Instruments). It seems possible in theory - hopefully not due to some timer polling endlessly.
@TabbyCat Any chance you can send me that CSI template? Want to test it on Zebra.

**EDIT:** Not necessary anymore, thanks. See one of my posts further down.

Last edited by helgoboss; 05-11-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #1283
Regisfofo

Quote:
You need to set Invoke to "Trigger". Actions are unfortunately very diverse in how they should be invoked. If someone is bored, they could send me a big list of built-in REAPER action command IDs and how they should be invoked and I would make ReaLearn automatically choose the right invocation mode.
Ah thank you, next time, I'll know where to look at...
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #1284
pyrannial

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Oh, you are right! Catastrophe! It's not saved! Fixing.
Haha.. Thank you. And again, I am not sure why the whole Reaper community is not on this thread - what an amazing piece of software!
pyrannial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #1285
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.9.0 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes (since v2.8.2):
- #349 Added possibility to seek within currently visible viewport (by not checking any "Use ..." checkbox in the project seek target)
- #356 Added feedback-only "Track peak" target to turn your controller into a simple VU meter
- #329 Added macOS aarch64 build (ARM64), also updated WDL and other used libraries
- #342 Improved reliability by reducing probability of audio dropouts in certain situations (by deferring all deallocations from real-time threads to main thread; allocations were done in main thread before already)
- #340 Improved usability by sorting compartment presets by name (independent from file name)
- Improved maintainability by doing an internal target refactoring (shouldn't cause any changes, just for protocol)
- #352 Fixed some disappeared tuning options for "Note number" source and all press-only button characters
- Fixed action invocation mode "Absolute" (broken in some cases since 2.8.0 because upgrade to 14-bit resolution went a bit wrong ...)
- #360 Fixed bug that caused target option "Scroll mixer" to not be restored correctly
- #361 Fixed bug that caused "Prevent echo feedback" to not work correctly anymore since v2.8.x
Old 05-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #1286
fripholm

Quote:
2) Not that I know of If you find out, let me know, too ;-)
I've found it! By browsing through the MIDI console output of Arturia's Control Center...

This sysex string sets the active memory remotely where 'xx' is a number from 01-08 which corresponds to the desired memory location.

Code:
F0 00 20 6B 7F 42 05 xx F7
When you set the preset from the MKII itself, it sends the following string where 'yy' is a number from 00-07 which correspond to presets 1 through 8. This is not a typo...

Code:
F0 00 20 6B 7F 42 1B yy F7
Now I need to find a way to tell Reaper to send a sysex string to the MiniLab on startup. Anyone?
fripholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #1287
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fripholm View Post
I've found it! By browsing through the MIDI console output of Arturia's Control Center...

This sysex string sets the active memory remotely where 'xx' is a number from 01-08 which corresponds to the desired memory location.

Code:
F0 00 20 6B 7F 42 05 xx F7
When you set the preset from the MKII itself, it sends the following string where 'yy' is a number from 00-07 which correspond to presets 1 through 8. This is not a typo...

Code:
F0 00 20 6B 7F 42 1B yy F7
Now I need to find a way to tell Reaper to send a sysex string to the MiniLab on startup. Anyone?
Awesome!

Either you use ReaLearn itself by using the "on_activate" feature of an arbitrary always-active mapping (which would make the most sense I guess since you can make it part of the controller preset): https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...anced-settings.

Or you use the ReaControlMIDI Sysex field.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #1288
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
I loaded up the CSI extension, and somehow this extension does manage to get a refresh on preset change, even for plugins which don't otherwise support it (e.g. Native Instruments). It seems possible in theory - hopefully not due to some timer polling endlessly.
Okay, I debugged it. Indeed, CSI makes it work by simply polling every 30ms or so. It seems to use polling for almost everything and makes only little usage of REAPER's built-in notification callbacks ... surprises me a bit and makes me wonder about potential performance issues. But it could very well be that the performance drawback of polling is neglectable in these cases, I never measured it. Ultimately depends on the number of action mappings I guess.

I think I will equip ReaLearn with an option to also use polling for the few targets that don't work reliably with REAPER's "notification system":

- FX: Set parameter value (doesn't work with REAPER's own notification system if it's a monitoring FX or when switching presets within some plug-in GUIs)
- Track: Enable/disable FX
- Track: Show/hide
- FX: Enable/disable
- Send: Mute/unmute
Old 05-12-2021, 12:38 AM   #1289
fripholm

Quote:
use ReaLearn itself by using the "on_activate" feature of an arbitrary always-active mapping...
This is what I did and it works. Vielen Dank!
fripholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #1290
Hartley Mays

Default Track Names for ID?

Congratulations on all the progress with new features!

I would like to use the track name option (with string wildcards) for identifying tracks so the mappings can be easily shared across projects. Does this method cause any significant overhead compared to the alternatives? Are the track names scanned only at startup or frequently? (I want to use a large orchestral project template with over 1,000 tracks to facilitate using it without change on different projects.)

If track name changes are made while the project is running, will the mappings be updated if necessary?
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #1291
pyrannial

If I put an FX offline (in order to save CPU) and then re-enable it later, I don't think ReaLearn is able control it any more when I have a mapping which refers to the FX 'By name'. Therefore for each mapping, I need to type the name of the effect again, for the mapping to become active. Is there a way round this?

EDIT: Sorry I don't think this is true, I have tried it again and it works. So perhaps I'll keep an eye on it. Please ignore for now.

Last edited by pyrannial; 05-12-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #1292
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Mays View Post
Congratulations on all the progress with new features!

I would like to use the track name option (with string wildcards) for identifying tracks so the mappings can be easily shared across projects. Does this method cause any significant overhead compared to the alternatives? Are the track names scanned only at startup or frequently? (I want to use a large orchestral project template with over 1,000 tracks to facilitate using it without change on different projects.)

If track name changes are made while the project is running, will the mappings be updated if necessary?
With that many tracks there could be issues with things becoming slower but not because of the wildcard matching, that shouldn't make a noticable difference even with many tracks. And it's only done on certain events, e.g. project load, track list changes and track selection changes.

I rarely test projects with that many tracks. I know that some things can turn a bit slower when the ReaLearn GUI is open. So if you feel something gets slower, first try to close the GUI ... Without GUI you will just pay for the raw ReaLearn processing logic which is optimized for performance.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #1293
Hartley Mays

Default multiple tracks by name?

Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply. I've been working with Realearn while developing the large template all along, and not noticed any performance problems.

Just to be completely clear, does the concern about the GUI refer to the VST screen or the companion app or both? The VST wouldn't seem to be a problem since it doesn't need to be open while using the app for music.

And while we're pushing boundaries, would you consider an enhancement request to handle duplicate (wildcard based) tracknames to be treated as a group just like multiple selected tracks are rather than using the first one that matches?
Old 05-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #1294
helgoboss

Quote:
Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply. I've been working with Realearn while developing the large template all along, and not noticed any performance problems.

Just to be completely clear, does the concern about the GUI refer to the VST screen or the companion app or both? The VST wouldn't seem to be a problem since it doesn't need to be open while using the app for music.

And while we're pushing boundaries, would you consider an enhancement request to handle duplicate (wildcard based) tracknames to be treated as a group just like multiple selected tracks are rather than using the first one that matches?
The concern about the GUI refers to the VST window only, mostly the mapping panel. The companion app is fine because this stuff is done in a dedicated thread.

Yes, please create a FR on GitHub. It's easy to implement. Just a word of caution: This can easily run into performance issues, e.g. if you use just the * wildcard with 1000 tracks Wouldn't do that.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #1295
Hartley Mays

Default #363

Opened Issue #363 on Github for the wildcard multiple selection.

I'm not clear on exactly what your precaution related to "1000 tracks" refers to. Is the concern the number of tracks in the project whose names would need to be parsed, the number that might satisfy the wild card, or something else?
Old 05-12-2021, 10:53 PM   #1296
helgoboss

Quote:
Opened Issue #363 on Github for the wildcard multiple selection.

I'm not clear on exactly what your precaution related to "1000 tracks" refers to. Is the concern the number of tracks in the project whose names would need to be parsed, the number that might satisfy the wild card, or something else?
If you enter just "*", it would resolve to all 1000 tracks in the project. This resolve step would be still fast I guess. But if you then adjust e.g. the volume of 1000 tracks at once, that's likely to be rather slow.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:54 AM   #1297
mozart999uk

Anyone used a lightpad block with realearn to control plugins, filter sweeps etc?

Just got mine and although at the moment I can't get the dashboard to recognise it, I'm hoping that once I do, I can press it into service as a interesting controller....
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #1298
pyrannial

Wow, double click functionality! Now I can have even more uses for my buttons: short click, long click and double click! :-)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:49 AM   #1299
Cedic.cambon

Hi.
A light sequencer (MagicQ) sends osc messages on local host (track volume and play_region1 for example).
"play_region_n": I did it with an action cycle and assign an OSC shortcut.
"Track n volume_n": I use the wonderfull Realearn.

But I can't receive message in OSC Control input (realearn) and in control suface/OSC/Webcontrol (reaper préférence) at the same time because they have the same port (only one port in my sequencer) and they are 2 separate device

I found a solution by mapping my osc play message to the action cycle with realearn (instead of a direct shortcut)
Could Realearn select the control surface/osc/Webcontrol device (from préférence menu) as control input? (like the midi control input)?
It would be great.
Thank's a lot for the job.
Cedic.cambon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #1300
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedic.cambon View Post
Hi.
A light sequencer (MagicQ) sends osc messages on local host (track volume and play_region1 for example).
"play_region_n": I did it with an action cycle and assign an OSC shortcut.
"Track n volume_n": I use the wonderfull Realearn.

But I can't receive message in OSC Control input (realearn) and in control suface/OSC/Webcontrol (reaper préférence) at the same time because they have the same port (only one port in my sequencer) and they are 2 separate device

I found a solution by mapping my osc play message to the action cycle with realearn (instead of a direct shortcut)
Could Realearn select the control surface/osc/Webcontrol device (from préférence menu) as control input? (like the midi control input)?
It would be great.
Thank's a lot for the job.
That's unfortunately not possible at the moment. REAPER doesn't expose the received control surface OSC messages to plug-ins, at least not that I know of.

You could try to use OSCII-bot to resend incoming OSC messages both to REAPER's control surface OSC device and to ReaLearn. And vice versa if you need feedback.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #1301
foxAsteria

Did clips quietly get fully implemented? I thought the record function said not to use or something before...I mean I couldn't get it to work, just wondering if it's supposed to yet.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #1302
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Did clips quietly get fully implemented? I thought the record function said not to use or something before...I mean I couldn't get it to work, just wondering if it's supposed to yet.
Working on it. If things run smoothly, clips in ReaLearn will have a bright future. But at the moment highly experimental. Record will still take a while.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #1303
brookhinton

Since my few posts in this topic have been requests rather than praise, I feel obligated to mention: I have found Realearn absolutely revolutionary. If it was able to do what it does outside of Reaper as well, I think it would become a must-have for everyone who records and/or performs live while controlling plug-ins via midi, and it has made my dream of replicating the hands-on, real-time, intuition-friendly functionality of hardware control in the context of virtual tools a reality. Going to donate as soon as I can, because holy crap, especially as of V2 this has become absolutely central to the way I work and has improved workflow and quality beyond what I can calculate.
brookhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #1304
Cedic.cambon

Quote:
That's unfortunately not possible at the moment. REAPER doesn't expose the received control surface OSC messages to plug-ins, at least not that I know of.

You could try to use OSCII-bot to resend incoming OSC messages both to REAPER's control surface OSC device and to ReaLearn. And vice versa if you need feedback.
Ok thank you very much, i will map all incoming messages with Realearn.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #1305
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookhinton View Post
it has made my dream of replicating the hands-on, real-time, intuition-friendly functionality of hardware control in the context of virtual tools a reality
Same here. Cannot be overstated.

I'm glad I didn't overlook ReaLearn this time. I had a lot of problems with the first version and really never expected it would turn into such a tremendously powerful tool.

Thanks, helgo!!!
Old 05-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #1306
RCJacH

A quick question regarding midi assignments for VSTi (rather than hardware controller), is it more performant to assign MIDI controller in ReaLearn or within the VSTi itself?

I would like to use ReaLearn to make all parameters controlled by MIDI CC, and it would be used on less than a hundred tracks.

I only did a quick assignment (about 12 assignments) with SWAM violin and I can't see much of a difference, has anyone else done any related comparison?
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:24 AM   #1307
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
A quick question regarding midi assignments for VSTi (rather than hardware controller), is it more performant to assign MIDI controller in ReaLearn or within the VSTi itself?

I would like to use ReaLearn to make all parameters controlled by MIDI CC, and it would be used on less than a hundred tracks.

I only did a quick assignment (about 12 assignments) with SWAM violin and I can't see much of a difference, has anyone else done any related comparison?
Shouldn't make a noticable difference.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:28 AM   #1308
pyrannial

For a "Send: Set Volume" target with "Track: <Selected>", is the expected behaviour in the companion web application, to be able to show the value change as different tracks are selected because it doesn't seem to do that for me?
Old 05-15-2021, 03:54 AM   #1309
helgoboss

Quote:
For a "Send: Set Volume" target with "Track: <Selected>", is the expected behaviour in the companion web application, to be able to show the value change as different tracks are selected because it doesn't seem to do that for me?
Yes, that's the expected behavior. Works here. Don't you see the value indication at all or doesn't it change when the targeted send changes? How are you addressing the send. By position, ID, ...?
Old 05-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #1310
pyrannial

Quote:
Don't you see the value indication at all or doesn't it change when the targeted send changes? How are you addressing the send. By position, ID, ...?
The track is selected with a mapping using "Project: Navigate between tracks" and once selected another mapping uses "Send: Set volume" with "Track: <Selected>" and "Send: By name". The send volume does change but the companion web application doesn't indicate this.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:32 AM   #1311
helgoboss

Quote:
The track is selected with a mapping using "Project: Navigate between tracks" and once selected another mapping uses "Send: Set volume" with "Track: <Selected>" and "Send: By name". The send volume does change but the companion web application doesn't indicate this.
Please send a RPP.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:45 AM   #1312
Cedic.cambon

Hi. Controlling a track volume by OSC is ok but if it's a parent track lead volume, the child volumes are not affected by parent track volume.
in a few words track grouping is disabled by OSC mapping (I didn't try MIDI mapping)....

Edit: Sorry you have already found this issue (#335 on Github)

Last edited by Cedic.cambon; 05-16-2021 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:25 AM   #1313
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedic.cambon View Post
Hi. Controlling a track volume by OSC is ok but if it's a parent track lead volume, the child volumes are not affected by parent track volume.
in a few words track grouping is disabled by OSC mapping (I didn't try MIDI mapping)....

Edit: Sorry you have already found this issue (#335 on Github)
I think #45 is what you want, not #335.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:27 AM   #1314
Shallan

Default Cannot create layout - no controls

When I press the pen tool to create my layout, there are no controls to be seen/selected (both on Android App Companion + Chrome browser on PC). I am able to see the grid (zoom in + out etc) but on the right panel its blank (no controls). Is anyone else getting this issue or is it just me? **See the attachment
Attached Images
File Type: gif noControls.gif (16.5 KB, 89 views)
Shallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:30 AM   #1315
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallan View Post
When I press the pen tool to create my layout, there are no controls to be seen/selected (both on Android App Companion + Chrome browser on PC). I am able to see the grid (zoom in + out etc) but on the right panel its blank (no controls). Is anyone else getting this issue or is it just me? **See the attachment
That means you have not created any controller mappings yet in the controller compartment or not saved them into the controller preset.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:30 AM   #1316
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
It's not guaranteed that a plugin reacts on a parameter change via "DAW parameter" in the same way as it would when it comes in via Midi. there might be differences regarding smoothing, alializing etc. Hence it might be worth trying both ways with a specific plugin.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:34 AM   #1317
Cedic.cambon

Quote:
I think #45 is what you want, not #335.
Maybe...
Finally I send all the tracks I want to a "sub-master" track and control this track and it's ok. I don't use track grouping.

Thanks again, Realearn is a wonderfull tool for me.
I use MagicQ and Reaper to play cue-based light and sound for theater and with Realearn combined to cycle actions it's possible.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #1318
grnprplOrngyllw

Default Cannot figure out exclusive solo

I posted this on ReaLearn forum on Github as well.

Hello! I need help, please.

I have a drumset on 10 tracks and 1 reference track with a song. I soloed snare. Good. Now, I want to listen ONLY to my reference track. Good, I can do it thanks to exclusive solo. Now I want to go back to snare solo. I unsolo the reference track and my problem: all the drumset tracks get soloed, when I only need to solo the snare track.

I really dont ever need to listen to my reference track together with other tracks. NEVER. But sometimes I am working on a soloed guitar, and I want to easily jump back and forth a reference track and the soloed guitar. I appreciate any tips.

I tried press only, but I dont know. it doesnt do what i need. Please help!

Maybe this could work with mutes/mute groups, or SWS mute/solo recall? I dont know.
grnprplOrngyllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #1319
grnprplOrngyllw

Default a more organized ReaLearn thread/topic thing

I just want to suggest an exclusive ReaLearn thread with its own sub topics/questions. It would be easier to navigate through that than through 34 pages of all kinds of questions.
Just thinking outloud. Good day!
grnprplOrngyllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #1320
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnprplOrngyllw View Post
I posted this on ReaLearn forum on Github as well.

Hello! I need help, please.

I have a drumset on 10 tracks and 1 reference track with a song. I soloed snare. Good. Now, I want to listen ONLY to my reference track. Good, I can do it thanks to exclusive solo. Now I want to go back to snare solo. I unsolo the reference track and my problem: all the drumset tracks get soloed, when I only need to solo the snare track.

I really dont ever need to listen to my reference track together with other tracks. NEVER. But sometimes I am working on a soloed guitar, and I want to easily jump back and forth a reference track and the soloed guitar. I appreciate any tips.

I tried press only, but I dont know. it doesnt do what i need. Please help!

Maybe this could work with mutes/mute groups, or SWS mute/solo recall? I dont know.
Which of the two do you want (or something entirely else?):

a)
- Button A that toggles between snare solo and reference track solo.
- Button B that toggles between guitar solo and reference track solo.

b)
- Button A that soloes the snare track (exclusively).
- Button B that soloes the guitar track (exclusively).
- Button C that soloes the reference track (exclusively).

Scenario (b) is super easy and is what the "Track exclusivity" feature was made for. Make all buttons have mode "Normal" and "Press only" and you are done.

Scenario (a) (toggling) actually doesn't need exclusivity. You create 2 mappings for button A and 2 mappings for button B, all set "Toggle buttons" mode - and set the initial solo state in REAPER so that toggling essentially always switches between one pair.

With more complicated scenarios where you recall a very particular set of solo states at the press of one button, you are better off using the "Project: Invoke REAPER action" target with a custom ReaScript or SWS snapshot actions. Or, as soon as #45 ("Support VCA and track grouping parameters") is implemented, you can use track grouping with solo lead and follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnprplOrngyllw View Post
I just want to suggest an exclusive ReaLearn thread with its own sub topics/questions. It would be easier to navigate through that than through 34 pages of all kinds of questions.
Just thinking outloud. Good day!
You are right ... I think a forum such as this one is in general not the best way to find accurate and up-to-date answers to questions - it's more a place for social exchange. Not sure though if a subforum will improve things much. AFAIK it's also not common to have subforums in the REAPER forum for specific 3rd-party products.

The only reason I use this is because it's what many REAPER users are familiar with and they already have an account. The best thing would be a Q&A site (such as Stackoverflow in the programming world). The "Discussions" tab on GitHub actually has similar features. People can upvote answers, which is very helpful. The only problem I see is that people have to register at yet another service ... many programmers have GitHub accounts already but normal users usually don't. Not sure yet where this will go.