Old 03-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default New Song - World View

This is my latest musical adventure, and it features a long time band mate and friend of mine, Dave T. on some fun guitar solos. Especially after the surprise bit in the middle.

I'm playing the bass, drums, keys, and singing the vocals. Playing the acoustic drums to this was a trip and took a few tries.

It's titled World View at:

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13851048

Last edited by Glennbo; 03-10-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Jeffsounds

Cool tune! Nice guitar work. My only real nit is that sometimes the drums are a bit too busy for that particular part of the song. Other than that, nice job!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Cool tune! Nice guitar work. My only real nit is that sometimes the drums are a bit too busy for that particular part of the song. Other than that, nice job!
Thanks Jeff!

This was destined to be a busy drum song from the moment I sketched out the framework using lots of world percussion, especially in places like 1:43 when the "Sansa" (kalimba or thumb piano) starts clanking out a 3/4 thing after the song's been in 4/4 all along.

Also, while I played the drums mostly in a single take, I did double track them for a bit starting at 2:24 using an alternate hihat and lots of tom fills ala Trevor Horn and Seal's production of "Future Love Paradise".

It was fun getting my buddy Dave T. in on this song. He and I were rival drummers in high school, but then he started playing other instruments and became the bass player for a seven year US tour that I scored right out of high school backing up a guy who had been Conway Twitty's opening act for years. Then in the 80s he became the keyboard player in our highly successful local classic rock band and another bluegrass country band we both played in at the same time that launched Vince Gill's career. Since then he has been the guitar player in two other local bands I've played in.

I've worked professionally with Dave for about 44 years now, and he is very the person who got me to venture out into playing other instruments besides drums. I saw him do it and thought "I can do that!".
Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
Jorgen

Well performed and produced, cool song. May I ask how you processed the drum intro?
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Well performed and produced, cool song. May I ask how you processed the drum intro?
Thanks Jorgen. For the effect on the drums in the intro I copied the fill that leads into the first beat to four other tracks (the drums are stereo overhead, kick, and snare).

Then I reversed the 4 cloned drum tracks and put a plate reverb on each track at 100% wet. After that I glued each track so the reverb would be permanent and reversed them a second time to put them back the original direction, except the pure reverb tracks now precede each drum hit so they swell up backward and then hit forward.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
ginodi

I liked the change in the middle. You drum well, and Dave has a nice tone.
ginodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginodi View Post
I liked the change in the middle. You drum well, and Dave has a nice tone.
Thanks Ginodi.

I halfway wrote this one so I'd have something challenging to play the drums on. The dramatic change in the middle took me a few tries to finally play just right, but there are still plenty of other flubs in the drums elsewhere in the song.