Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #121
airon
Human being with feelings

Hmm. Nobody's ever considered requesting that, probably because Protools always ran so slow when I had the the frames visible in the video track instead of just anonymous blocks.

Would you prefer this kind of feature to be implemented before smoother and less stutter-prone video playback ?

I would have to say no,but then I haven't contemplated the uses for actually being able to see the frames of the video in an item instead of the audio.

One of the drawbacks of the approach as it has been done so far in Protools and other DAWs, is that you have to zoom in pretty far to catch picture cuts. My preference is to have grid-snap active and just click and drag in the arrangement with the area selection-type of cursor, because the video (less)swiftly(in Reaper) follows that, and I find the scene transitions or other cuts a bit quicker that way.

If all I was going to use was a thumbnail view, I'd nervously check if I'd zoomed in enough so that I'm looking at single consecutive frames of video so I'm not accidentally placing my scene transition a frame too early or late.

So, why would you prefer thumbnail travel to video scrubbing ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #122
bharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Would you prefer this kind of feature to be implemented before smoother and less stutter-prone video playback ?

I would have to say no,but then I haven't contemplated the uses for actually being able to see the frames of the video in an item instead of the audio.

So, why would you prefer thumbnail travel to video scrubbing ?
I guess you are right with the ProTools example. There is also the trouble of having create the clips while importing it. More work for REAPER. Smooth video scrubbing will probably do the job. BUT....

My primary point being that once visual FX have been added over a video track, there are no audio cues that you can take from the video track. You have to shift frame by frame to add that "BOOM" or "BANG". This is a real pain to go through 100frames of video to find the right spot within 5 seconds of video!

If you are looking only at ADR type stuff, the audio track with smooth video scrubbing would probably suffice.
bharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #123
babag

interesting timing on this video frames request. i just posted an observation
a few days ago on the general discussion forum to a similar effect that
samplitude has dropped some of thi functionality and that the reaper devs
could take advantage of the magix teams lapse.

the way samplitude USED to work was great, i thought. across the top of the
timeline window there was a row of video frames. these, of course, varied in
which frames were displayed based on the zoom level. these frames occupied
only the space above the timeline display.

above the channel info at the left of the timeline display were two separate
frames. these corresponded to the start and end frames of a selected item.
this made for no less than three picture references on screen at any given
time. there was the large, separate video window for watching running footage,
the frames above the timeline, and lastly, the two frames above the channel
info.

having all of these made for a great workflow. scrolling the tracks did not
cause one to lose their video reference since the frames view was not a
track but was separate and above the scrolling part of the timeline window.
likewise, the two frames for item start/end viewing were also separate and
always in the window. they were small but useful for things like finding
cuts. more on that in a minute.

magix has since caved to those requesting video edit capability in their daw
in just about the worst way possible: they have removed the above described
referencing features and replaced them with the ability to put a linked
video file on the first track in the window. i wouldn't have objected until
i realized they'd removed the other capabilities. now, while it's possible
to output a video file with the mix synced, it's MUCH harder to use
samplitude for video referencing. if you have a lot of track and need to
scroll down to see something, you lose sight of the video track. this leaves
you with only the large and separate video window to find your image.
and this is cursor dependent, meaning you have to move the cursor to find
a location.

in past versions of samplitude, it was possible to place a LOT of audio
into rough position without ever moving the cursor. you could place the
cursor at a position and do a lot of work without losing that position. one
could use the frames above the timeline for general position and then either
extend item boundaries or slide an item by dragging it and the two frames
at the top left of the window would easily show where cuts or actions
started and ended.

i would LOVE to see this functionality added to reaper. it would vastly
enhance the post prod workflow in my opinion and seems very much in line
with what's being discussed at the moment.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #124
airon

I see where you're coming from.

Protools always had performance problems when you enabled the thumbnail view, even when having the video track showing up at all, so I've pretty much lived with the cursor-scrub method, and it hasn't been an inconvenience for me I have to say. The video scrub is so insanely fast in Protools that it's easy for me to zero in on detail pretty much instantly.

Reaper also gives you the choice of the video following the item start, snap marker or mouse cursor position when moving items, which just about covers most of my needs.

I'm curious how you worked with video thumbnails, because I've hardly ever seen picture editors work like that either. I find it very easy concentrating on an unmoving place where the video shows up, either on a video monitor or in a video window on a computer monitor.

The problem I've always had with video thumbnails in general, as I did use them in Vegas, was that they would inevitably hide frames from me, unless I dramatically zoomed in all the time. When I'm syncing ADR or alternate takes of dialogue, the zoom level required to get to individual frames is sometimes just right for video thumbnails to be useful, but the video scrub has always worked out to be faster, because I don't have to look for frames, I just stare at one spot.

I certainly wouldn't mind the feature. It just wouldn't get much use as it would on your end.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #125
babag

Quote:
The problem I've always had with video thumbnails in general, as I did use them in Vegas, was that they would inevitably hide frames from me, unless I dramatically zoomed in all the time. When I'm syncing ADR or alternate takes of dialogue, the zoom level required to get to individual frames is sometimes just right for video thumbnails to be useful, but the video scrub has always worked out to be faster, because I don't have to look for frames, I just stare at one spot.
this is where the two frames at the top left which referenced the item start/
end were great. while thumbnails are coarse, taking up many pixels of screen
space, an item, when dragged, moves in much finer increments. these are
visible in the two start/end frame thumbs.

much of what you describe here is for a specific part of the workflow. as you
know, post can be a very large workflow, especially for large projects like
features. i find these video tools to be very useful in some of the earlier
parts of the process where i'm roughly spotting in fx. i can do this very
quickly with these tools and with a fairly high degree of precision even
when at wide zoom levels. as i move on to refinement and mixing i might
work more in a manner like you describe.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #126
airon

I've posted a new request for metering and process functions concerning the new EBU recommendation 128 (EBU R128).

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3307

This concerns anyone who produces for broadcast. Loudness normalization is already standard in North American and it's on the way in Europe.

Time to get some functions to meter properly and save us time when delivering mixes.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #127
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I've posted a new request for metering and process functions concerning the new EBU recommendation 128 (EBU R128).

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3307

This concerns anyone who produces for broadcast. Loudness normalization is already standard in North American and it's on the way in Europe.

Time to get some functions to meter properly and save us time when delivering mixes.
Listen to him people.. he speaks the truth!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #128
babag

+1

BabaG
Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #129
Antonoff

Hi!

I don't know if this has been covered already, but could it be possible to make REAPER support media exchange formats such as .OMF, .AAF or .XMF?

-antonoff
Antonoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #130
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonoff View Post
Hi!

I don't know if this has been covered already, but could it be possible to make REAPER support media exchange formats such as .OMF, .AAF or .XMF?

-antonoff
It's been covered quite a lot
There is a free beta OMF import extension. Reaper out the box has basic Samplitude EDL & Vegas TXT import & export.

AATranslator can convert between Reaper native RPP format & OMF, Steinberg track Archive XML, Final Cut pro XML,Vegas-XML, Audition XML. PT 5 till 9 and many others inc XML based formats for Ardour & Studio1.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=post+omf

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ght=OMF+import
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #131
Antonoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lundsten View Post
It's been covered quite a lot
There is a free beta OMF import extension. Reaper out the box has basic Samplitude EDL & Vegas TXT import & export.

AATranslator can convert between Reaper native RPP format & OMF, Steinberg track Archive XML, Final Cut pro XML,Vegas-XML, Audition XML. PT 5 till 9 and many others inc XML based formats for Ardour & Studio1.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=post+omf

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ght=OMF+import
Okay, thanks. Somehow the search gave me nothing on this. Now I'm seriously thinking about turning myself into a fulltime Reaper user.
Antonoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #132
tusitala

Default video follows edits or "EDIT MODE"

as explained in this thread
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=89081

thanks!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #133
jdutaillis

I know this must be one of the top requests for all of the post guys that use REAPER and it's probably been asked for over and over again (sorry, I didn't read through the whole thread)!

Could we PLEASE have a real search function in the Media Explorer?

It is the biggest workflow killer trying to find SFX without one!

It would be amazing if it had the option to select which folders/drives to search. And was able to search/display metadata as well.

Please Devs, please! It would be the best christmas present ever
jdutaillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #134
Raja

Default k

i feel forward and rewind button near the playback button is the must.
i struggled forwarding and rewinding while recording a dubbing session with background music for a short film.

i personally feel its the very must for post production work. every time i zoomed in to place the cursor to the desired place. if we have forward and rewind button we can jog well.
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #135
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutaillis View Post
I know this must be one of the top requests for all of the post guys that use REAPER and it's probably been asked for over and over again (sorry, I didn't read through the whole thread)!

Could we PLEASE have a real search function in the Media Explorer?

It is the biggest workflow killer trying to find SFX without one!

It would be amazing if it had the option to select which folders/drives to search. And was able to search/display metadata as well.

Please Devs, please! It would be the best christmas present ever

Expanding the media explorer has been discussed quite a bit amongst the users, including having it build an indexed database per drive or folders.

I would not count on the developers giving this priority right now. You're much better off checking out all the audio management software already out there.

Remember that you can use the project bay and the other bays to collect and manage some of your media as well. It's not ideal, I know, but it's a big help when you're just collecting ideas to try out in your session.

Audio management programs with preview capability and search functions are:

Audiofinder (OSX)

Soundminer HD(Windows/OSX), HD Plus(Windows/OSX), v4(OSX only) and v4 Pro(OSX only)

Basehead (Windows/OSX)

All three can be demo'ed, though you need an iLok or HASP key for the Soundminer demo. The most used application in post production work is Soundminer as far as I could ever tell. Basehead is very popular as well now, and Audiofinder is the simplest of them all and more geared towards musicians from what I understand but I've only read their website so don't take my word there.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #136
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
i struggled forwarding and rewinding while recording a dubbing session with background music for a short film.

i personally feel its the very must for post production work. every time i zoomed in to place the cursor to the desired place. if we have forward and rewind button we can jog well.
You can actually change the transport section to look however you want it to. The layout of it is defined with the WALTER description language.

Check out the REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets forum section and put up a request for help. Maybe someone has the same desire to do this as you do.

At the very least, the folks frequencting that section can help you make your own Transport section layout.

The Reaper Default v4 theme includes two transport layouts already. You can change between them using the Screensets/Layout window, Layout tab. Double-click on the empty area next to the line that starts with "Transport". The extra layout is small though, so you'll still need to make your own, even if it's just swapping the order of the buttons around.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #137
jdutaillis

Quote:

Expanding the media explorer has been discussed quite a bit amongst the users, including having it build an indexed database per drive or folders.

I would not count on the developers giving this priority right now. You're much better off checking out all the audio management software already out there.

Remember that you can use the project bay and the other bays to collect and manage some of your media as well. It's not ideal, I know, but it's a big help when you're just collecting ideas to try out in your session.

Audio management programs with preview capability and search functions are:

Audiofinder (OSX)

Soundminer HD(Windows/OSX), HD Plus(Windows/OSX), v4(OSX only) and v4 Pro(OSX only)

Basehead (Windows/OSX)

All three can be demo'ed, though you need an iLok or HASP key for the Soundminer demo. The most used application in post production work is Soundminer as far as I could ever tell. Basehead is very popular as well now, and Audiofinder is the simplest of them all and more geared towards musicians from what I understand but I've only read their website so don't take my word there.
Cheers for the advice Airon, as always, a beautifully detailed post

Unfortunately most of those programs are out of my budget at the moment and being on Win7 the options are far more limited than on OSX from what I've found after a lot of research!

Hopefully one day we'll see a detailed search function in REAPER.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #138
airon

Locate32 is a file database that is very quick. It prescans your drives and you can update it any time.

There are a couple of more file indexers of this kind, but you'll need to look around a bit.

If you use a very fast program to play the files by default, you can preview stuff fairly quickly.

Another method is to use Itunes or similar tools. They all have search functions.

Foobar2000 may have what you need.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #139
jdutaillis

I just had a play with Foobar2000. It's not bad but still not what I'm after, unfortunately.

Do you know if there are any programs that can playback at 96kHz?

Currently, if I have my REAPER session working at 96kHz I can't playback through my Orpheus because Windows requires it to be set to 48kHz for any other programs.

This makes most programs useless to me!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #140
airon

Foobar2000 can in fact play at 96kHz.

Test it with ASIO output. If Reaper doesn't let you, simply have Reaper release the device when it is not in focus(and not playing).

AFAIK, Windows 7 can run its audio at 96kHz as well.

Your drivers would need to support multiple clients. That's how it works for my RME device. Hope you make it work.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #141
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
here's a long term feature request i'd like to hear discussed by those more
familiar with programming than i am: modular application design.

one thing i like about reaper is its lack of bloat. unfortunately, coming
from a film/video post perspective, it looks like the reaper community is
primarily comprised of midi musicians, and they're all making a lot of
midi feature requests that, from my multimedia post perspective, looks
like it could easily turn reaper into the bloatware i'm trying to get away
from before i ever get the features that make it generally useful to me.

if that's the case, i'd love to see an application design which allowed
users to opt in/out of general areas of the application. midi people could
opt out of video functionality, i could opt out of midi, others could opt
out of installing a score editor if they ever wind up putting that in.

what's the practicality of such a concept?
thanks,
BabaG
Perfectly practical concept if an application is designed to work like that. You can do it with dll's or assemblies for instance. If present, the program can incorporate the functionality they provide.

Is bloat the word your really looking for? I'm guessing you mean too many features rather. Well, if there's no midi tracks in a project I don't see how it's going to bother anybody too much at all. Having separate track types for audio and midi could have made a big difference in that respect. You would have seen no midi references in your tracks at all.

Menu customization is pretty good, though there are some menus we cant edit as yet but we can certainly eliminate many midi references.

If you did mean bloat, well from a user standpoint that's mostly longer dl's and slower load times, neither so relevant in today's times.

As for the reaper community being primarily comprised of midi musicians, I'd be surprised. The midi in Reaper isn't that enticing. Honest. Reaper is just so much better at audio. I would have thought that you audio guys would be the larger user base by far.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #142
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post

Raja, the fwd and rwd buttons. Would you hear the audio going past as you used them and would they be slowed up so you can hear your position sort of? Is that what you call jogging?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #143
Amazed

Quote:
Locate32 is a file database that is very quick. It prescans your drives and you can update it any time.

There are a couple of more file indexers of this kind, but you'll need to look around a bit.

If you use a very fast program to play the files by default, you can preview stuff fairly quickly.

Another method is to use Itunes or similar tools. They all have search functions.

Foobar2000 may have what you need.
Is there some kind of metadata standard in the pro audio field?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #144
airon

No, this is all about the filename or ID3 tags.

The professional stuff uses either the BWAV data chunk to store description, library, create data and so on, as well as custom chunks(Soundminer v3 and Soundminer v4 chunks). All of this is in WAV files.

It's unfortunately quite true that you get what you pay for when it comes to sound databases. Soundminer starts at $200, all the way up to $1000. Basehead is $300. Total steal for pros who have thousands upon thousands of sounds and need project management features. Not all that necessary for musicians, usually.

Foobar2000(Windows only) has a database component called Album List. That's all i've ever tried, and there might be more in this regard. You can drag'n'drop from Foobar2000 directly in to Reaper or its bays, which makes its playlist feature quite useful. And it's about as customizable as Reaper is.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #145
Amazed

Quote:
No, this is all about the filename or ID3 tags.

The professional stuff uses either the BWAV data chunk to store description, library, create data and so on, as well as custom chunks(Soundminer v3 and Soundminer v4 chunks). All of this is in WAV files.

It's unfortunately quite true that you get what you pay for when it comes to sound databases. Soundminer starts at $200, all the way up to $1000. Basehead is $300. Total steal for pros who have thousands upon thousands of sounds and need project management features. Not all that necessary for musicians, usually.

Foobar2000(Windows only) has a database component called Album List. That's all i've ever tried, and there might be more in this regard. You can drag'n'drop from Foobar2000 directly in to Reaper or its bays, which makes its playlist feature quite useful. And it's about as customizable as Reaper is.
Right. So id3 tags are in mp3's and wav files have those Riff Info chunks and in fact I remember Cooledit as being able to add Riff Info to wav files. I'll look at Foobar though. Thanks Airon.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #146
jdutaillis

Quote:
Foobar2000 can in fact play at 96kHz.

Test it with ASIO output. If Reaper doesn't let you, simply have Reaper release the device when it is not in focus(and not playing).

AFAIK, Windows 7 can run its audio at 96kHz as well.

Your drivers would need to support multiple clients. That's how it works for my RME device. Hope you make it work.
You probably don't know the specifics for the Prism Orpheus, but how would I go about:

a) "have Reaper release the device when it is not in focus(and not playing)"? Is it in prefs somewhere?

and

b) running windows 7 at 96kHz?

Thanks again for being awesome, Airon
Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #147
jdutaillis

Cancel that request!

Just updated my Orpheus drivers and control panel and now it all works!

So happy right now!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #148
eepyikes

Default Film Music feature requests

Hello all,

I have a few feature requests that apply to post, but most especially film music. So this may or may not be the proper thread. And some of the requests may already be out there but frankly I don't have time to wade through years of posts, I've got music to make. Here we go:

Video settings all in one place (ie Options-->Video Settings):
In this hypothetical menu, we have all of the video settings for the *project* all conveniently located in one place, not scattered across the program.
Video info, or info button (listing framerate, size, codec, etc)
Video Framerate setting
The starting timecode printed on your video is: xx:xx:xx:xx (this is so important!)
Set bar xx to be timecode xx:xx:xx:xx (this too!)

I don't really understand the shortening of SMPTE timecode in Reaper. I've been looking at SMPTE for years, it's just plain confusing to see missing digits. For those who don't understand SMPTE, its hidden by default so why this truncating nonsense?

Need both bars/beats and full smpte viewable simultaneously in the rulers. We are, after all, dealing with both musical and SMPTE time when film scoring and occasionally in post.

Other items, swiped right from Logic...I honestly am not a fan of Logic but they got video right so I'm listing some helpful features:
Markers List (showing all markers, their timecode, adjustable)
Time Signature list
Tempo list, with drag-able values (this allows you to see your bars/beats line up with hit points in the timeline as you change them. Very helpful!)

Thanks for your time. Would love to see some of this in Reaper so that I can move over permanently from Logic. I've been a Reaper user for a few years but can't use it for scoring. At the very least, professional scoring is tricky without proper SMPTE display and the ability to set your video start time and bar 1 time. Easily half the videos that come to me have a start time of, say, 00:59:20:22 This currently can't be set up in Reaper to align with Reaper's timecode.

Last edited by eepyikes; 01-23-2012 at 11:28 PM.
eepyikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #149
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepyikes View Post
Hello all,

I have a few feature requests that apply to post, but most especially film music. So this may or may not be the proper thread. And some of the requests may already be out there but frankly I don't have time to wade through years of posts, I've got music to make. Here we go:

Video settings all in one place (ie Options-->Video Settings):
In this hypothetical menu, we have all of the video settings for the *project* all conveniently located in one place, not scattered across the program.
Video info, or info button (listing framerate, size, codec, etc)
Video Framerate setting
All application-wide settings are in video page of the preferences(almost at the bottom).

The project settings do have the frame rate setting for the SMPTE timecode. The video information can only come from the items themselves, and you cannot lock this down per project. You can toss pretty much anything on to the timeline, and it's up to you to set the correct frame rate for the timecode display.

CTRL+F2 is the default shortcut for item source properties, where such things are displayed, including what engine is being used to decode the video.

Quote:
The starting timecode printed on your video is: xx:xx:xx:xx (this is so important!)
Set bar xx to be timecode xx:xx:xx:xx (this too!)
Now this is interesting. Bars & Beats and SMPTE timecode, ion addition to Bars & Beats and Time. You'll need to make a feature request in the issue tracker for this.
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?projectid=2 Pick a feature issue, not a bug issue.

Quote:
I don't really understand the shortening of SMPTE timecode in Reaper. I've been looking at SMPTE for years, it's just plain confusing to see missing digits. For those who don't understand SMPTE, its hidden by default so why this truncating nonsense?
Is Hours : Minutes : Seconds : Frames not full SMPTE timecode ? Are you asking for subframe display ?

Quote:
Need both bars/beats and full smpte viewable simultaneously in the rulers. We are, after all, dealing with both musical and SMPTE time when film scoring and occasionally in post.

Other items, swiped right from Logic...I honestly am not a fan of Logic but they got video right so I'm listing some helpful features:
Markers List (showing all markers, their timecode, adjustable)
Time Signature list
Tempo list, with drag-able values (this allows you to see your bars/beats line up with hit points in the timeline as you change them. Very helpful!)
Marker List is incoming in 4.16, after the SWS extension has had it for years. It'll be part of the region manager. The SWS Marker list(includes regions) has some features that Region Mananger does now have. You might want to check that out. They live side by side quite well.

You might want to ask around in the General forum about the Time Signature list. Perhaps something like that already exists. It's something I don't deal with.

The draggable tempo of tempo markers is another feature request. All your FRs ought to be discussed in detail in their own thread, because you'll have far more people wandering in interested in that particular feature, rather than making a musical request in a post production thread.

Quote:
Thanks for your time. Would love to see some of this in Reaper so that I can move over permanently from Logic. I've been a Reaper user for a few years but can't use it for scoring. At the very least, professional scoring is tricky without proper SMPTE display and the ability to set your video start time and bar 1 time. Easily half the videos that come to me have a start time of, say, 00:59:20:22 This currently can't be set up in Reaper to align with Reaper's timecode.
So you'll need a separete offset for the Bars and Beats portion of your other requested B&B + SMPTE timeruler ?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #150
eepyikes

It seems I wasnt quite clear...what I proposed first was to have all video settings in one convenient place, not scattered across the ctrl-F2 menu/project settings menu/xyzpdq --that's definitely a post related thing. But I'll put that in it's own thread as well as the other feature requests.

What I was saying about the truncated timecode is that Reaper displays it as 0:00:00:00 instead of 00:00:00:00. That's 7 digits instead of 8. I don't really understand the reasoning, other than aesthetics. And frankly, I could argue that 8 digits is better in that case too, because it's symmetrical! But even if you want to get into "there's never a movie 10 hours long" debate, the fact is, every other program has 8 digits. The burned in timecode on the video will have 8 digits. So why make things confusing by using 7 digits? Is it supposed to be clever or something?

Anyways, thanks for responding. I'll submit the multiple feature request threads but it looks like I'm out of luck for at least a year or two until Reaper gets up to speed with video stuff.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #151
Joystick

Its very strange, I love Reaper for video work, I'm regularly scoring for animations, logos and films with REAPER. Maybe its not your cup of tea :-)
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #152
eepyikes

Actually, it is my cup of tea and has been for several years (for non-video) but thanks for chiming in.

A more helpful approach might be explaining exactly how you make bar one start at 01:03:26:12, with 2 bars of click beforehand. With Reaper's timecode aligning perfectly with the printed timecode of the video (which happens to start at 00:59:33:45.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #153
airon

That should be your first request. It's something you need for your work that's obvious and will help a lot of folks composing to picture.

Be precise and assume that they no nothing about your work.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #154
Joystick

I see, I fully agree with Airon, best thing to do is to assume that they know nothing, this will make you be specific and precise. I can see your point now. Thanks for the heads up, this is a pretty useful feature. If you post a request, drop a line here so I could vote for it, thanks!
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #155
eepyikes

Ok thanks guys, here are my individual feature requests (which I think I've done correctly?). I have my doubts about these things getting voted above other feature requests but hopefully some post guys will see a need for these items (really there's no reason not to, if you're doing your job, which involves timecode for crying out loud!) :~)

SMPTE Offsets
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3920

Proper 8-digit SMPTE display
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3921

One convenient video settings/info page
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3922

Last edited by eepyikes; 02-01-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #156
airon

The proposed video settings page in the project prefs would be a neat idea for me as well.

All the video items could be listed here with frame sizes, fps, codec and decoder used. A context menu could present options like "Use video attributes for FFMPEG export settings."

The SMPTE offset could live here too, since it is used in conjunction with video work most of the time. I think the tape machine times are almost over.

Voted for all of them.

Btw, would you mind linking back to your post here from those feature requests ? That way anyone wishing to join the discussion will do it in the right place, since discusssions are not permitted in the issue tracker threads themselves.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #157
jdutaillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepyikes View Post
Ok thanks guys, here are my individual feature requests (which I think I've done correctly?). I have my doubts about these things getting voted above other feature requests but hopefully some post guys will see a need for these items (really there's no reason not to, if you're doing your job, which involves timecode for crying out loud!) :~)

SMPTE Offsets
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3920

Proper 8-digit SMPTE display
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3921

One convenient video settings/info page
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3922
Voted for all!

I use REAPER for all my post work and these would be quite handy
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #158
benmrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutaillis View Post
Voted for all!

I use REAPER for all my post work and these would be quite handy
+1

Really trying to move ALL my work over to Reaper now. It's what happens when you make a kick-ass DAW. I say, either get the TC settings to be 'standard' (as in, the way practically every other DAW does it), or stop making the program so damn enticing!!

Now that we have 64bit rewire (only available if BOTH the master/slave are 64bit), it might be an option to use Logic as the main host, and use Reaper in Rewire mode. Might create some nasty pitfalls though. More than that, once DP goes 64bit (later this year) maybe we can do the same, but use all of DP's slick scoring features.

If anyone reading this is so inclined to respond, I also put a thread in the FR section for adding Streamers/visual clicks natively to Reaper. Again, a pretty nice feature for working to picture: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95627
benmrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #159
djjedidiah

Has anyone suggested an "extract silence" feature in dynamic split for doing backfill? This was always cool in my shameful pre-reaper daw Pro Tools.
Attached Images
File Type: png strip_silence_pt8.png (20.6 KB, 301 views)
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #160
eepyikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmrx View Post
+1

Really trying to move ALL my work over to Reaper now. It's what happens when you make a kick-ass DAW. I say, either get the TC settings to be 'standard' (as in, the way practically every other DAW does it), or stop making the program so damn enticing!!

Now that we have 64bit rewire (only available if BOTH the master/slave are 64bit), it might be an option to use Logic as the main host, and use Reaper in Rewire mode. Might create some nasty pitfalls though. More than that, once DP goes 64bit (later this year) maybe we can do the same, but use all of DP's slick scoring features.

If anyone reading this is so inclined to respond, I also put a thread in the FR section for adding Streamers/visual clicks natively to Reaper. Again, a pretty nice feature for working to picture: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95627
Make a new feature request and I'll vote for it for sure!