Old 03-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
anclark
Human being with feelings

Default Per-take FX makes no effect

Hello everyone,

I want to take some FXes for only one media take, but it seems that the FXes I added to the take make no effect, that means I cannot hear the FXes render.

Does anyone also meet this problem, or have some solutions?

AnClark
anclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Xenakios

Is it a take with MIDI?
Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
anclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Is it a take with MIDI?
Sure. But I applied VSTi to the track, not MIDI device.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
vanhaze

Although the MIDI Take is on a Track which has a VSTi on it, putting AUDIO FX on the MIDI Take won't work in this case.
Only MIDI FX will work.

If you had put the VSTi directly on the MIDI Take, instead of on the Track, then putting AUDIO FX after that VSTi will work.
You could then even place MIDI FX before the VSTi on the Take, these will then also work.

Warm Regards.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 AM   #5
anclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Although the MIDI Take is on a Track which has a VSTi on it, putting AUDIO FX on the MIDI Take won't work in this case.
Only MIDI FX will work.

If you had put the VSTi directly on the MIDI Take, instead of on the Track, then putting AUDIO FX after that VSTi will work.
You could then even place MIDI FX before the VSTi on the Take, these will then also work.

Warm Regards.
No wonder it doesn't work! But I still hope that I can directly apply audio FX on a certain take in the future versions of REAPER.

You know, some effects, like DELAY and REVERB may apply only a certain part in some songs, and other DAWs such as FL Studio and Mixcraft support this feature.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by anclark View Post
But I still hope that I can directly apply audio FX on a certain take in the future versions of REAPER
I do not quite understand what you mean by "certain take"?

You can apply any audio FX and any VSTi to any take. Of course, if there is no audio in the take, the audio FX will not have anything to do.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:

You know, some effects, like DELAY and REVERB may apply only a certain part in some songs, and other DAWs such as FL Studio and Mixcraft support this feature.
You can for example use the FX on the tracks, not on takes, and automate wet/dry or bypass.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 AM   #8
anclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I do not quite understand what you mean by "certain take"?

You can apply any audio FX and any VSTi to any take. Of course, if there is no audio in the take, the audio FX will not have anything to do.
"Certain take" means that, for example, I have three MIDI takes, but I only want to apply VST effects to the third one, not the others.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
juliansader

Quote:
"Certain take" means that, for example, I have three MIDI takes, but I only want to apply VST effects to the third one, not the others.
This is exactly what Take FX do. Each take's FX chain is separate from other takes', so if you want to apply a VST FX to only the third take, then only add it the the third take's FX chain.

If the FX is in the track FX chain, then you can still apply it to the third take during rendering, by making sure that 1) the third take is active, and 2) in item settings, "Play all takes" is OFF, so that only the third take gets played.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
karbomusic

TLDR^

Just render the midi track to a new take which will apply the VSTI to the new take as a new audio take and the take FX will then work. If you need to go back and edit the midi or VSTi params, delete that rendered to audio take, adjust midi rinse/repeat. Notwithsdanding the "certain take" part albeit you can do what I'm describing with any take in a set of takes.