Old 07-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Julks
Human being with feelings

Default Some tracks not playing back

Hey all,
So I have been running Reaper for a month or two now, and I like everything except for one major problem. Fairly frequently, about 75% of my tracks will stop playing, only leaving a few left that actually still work when I click play on my song. I've witnessed this happening both when I pull up the project again after it's been closed down, and just randomly while I'm working on it as well. I've made sure that nothing is muted or soloed, that the plugins are still set, ect. Basically, I don't change a thing on the track, and it just seems to randomly happen. It appears to be playing because the piano roll is scrolling, but no sound comes out.

As far as the info on my computer and the version of Reaper I'm using goes, I'm using the 64 bit Reaper with a Yamaha PSR E353 MIDI keyboard. My computer is an Asus laptop that is less than a year old, has a quad processor, Intel CORE i7, and an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 965M grafics card. The plugins that I am using are VSTs, and most of them are 64 bit I believe.

I hope this description is adequate enough to get the idea of what my issue is. Reaper is the first DAW/sequencer I've used, so I don't know much of the exact terminology for everything. So in any response, extra detail or step by step walkthroughs involving ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Julks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
slipstick

What version of the 64bit Reaper? Windows 10? What VSTs are you using? Is it always tracks with the same VST on that stop working?

You didn't mention any audio interface so what are you playing the sound through? The computer soundcard? Or back through your Yamaha keyboard? What do you have set up in Preferences/Audio/Device?

And you're saying that some tracks in a project can be playing normally, you touch nothing on them, but the next time you press play those tracks are suddenly silent while other tracks are still playing normally. And you've definitely checked that no track(s) is soloed? Very odd.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Julks

Slipstick, I am using the latest version of 64bit Reaper on Windows 10. For VSTs, I am mainly using the DSK ones, but also Orch Hit Free, and IxoxFlute_v0.2. I haven't really been able to figure out a pattern of which ones cut out, it seems to be random. The only one that never cuts out is Sonatina Choir. As far as audio interface, I am playing it through the sound card, but that shouldn't be a problem since this laptop is still very new and was one of the top of the line models when I bought it.

And to answer your last short paragraph, I am 100% certain nothing is soloed. And yes, they will play normally one minute, I touch nothing, and the next they just won't play sound. It is really strange. What makes it even more strange is the fact that I've searched the internet and these forums, and I haven't found anyone else that has had the same issue.
Julks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
slipstick

It's nothing I've seen before either. What is your audio system set up as in Preferences? On Windows, WASAPI usually seems to work best. I've heard of people having strange problems trying to use the other options but nothing exactly like yours.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
AugerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julks View Post
Hey all,
So I have been running Reaper for a month or two now, and I like everything except for one major problem. Fairly frequently, about 75% of my tracks will stop playing, only leaving a few left that actually still work when I click play on my song. I've witnessed this happening both when I pull up the project again after it's been closed down, and just randomly while I'm working on it as well. I've made sure that nothing is muted or soloed, that the plugins are still set, ect. Basically, I don't change a thing on the track, and it just seems to randomly happen. It appears to be playing because the piano roll is scrolling, but no sound comes out.

As far as the info on my computer and the version of Reaper I'm using goes, I'm using the 64 bit Reaper with a Yamaha PSR E353 MIDI keyboard. My computer is an Asus laptop that is less than a year old, has a quad processor, Intel CORE i7, and an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 965M grafics card. The plugins that I am using are VSTs, and most of them are 64 bit I believe.

I hope this description is adequate enough to get the idea of what my issue is. Reaper is the first DAW/sequencer I've used, so I don't know much of the exact terminology for everything. So in any response, extra detail or step by step walkthroughs involving ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hi. Are you sure it has nothing to do with this setting:
Options - Preferences... - Audio —
Automatically mute any track
when volume exceeds +18 dB ?
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote