Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
DrFrankencopter
Human being with feelings

Default Can channel trim be assigned as a control in TCP?

Wondering if there is a way to get the Channel trim control available as a knob in the TCP track view. Or is the envelope view the only way to access it?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
JonLinnarson

No, it's unfortunately not possible. There has been a couple of requests about it, both for having a trim (or pre-FX volume rather) knob in the TCP and in the MCP. It would be really nice to be able to assign whatever envelope you want to a simple knob, just like the FX parameters.

If you want this for gain staging reasons, I would suggest using SWS Loudness function to set all tracks to -23 LUFS. But since you are asking about channel trim, I guess you want it for something else?
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
DrFrankencopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
No, it's unfortunately not possible. There has been a couple of requests about it, both for having a trim (or pre-FX volume rather) knob in the TCP and in the MCP. It would be really nice to be able to assign whatever envelope you want to a simple knob, just like the FX parameters.

If you want this for gain staging reasons, I would suggest using SWS Loudness function to set all tracks to -23 LUFS. But since you are asking about channel trim, I guess you want it for something else?
I'm looking for that functionality for workflow reasons...in a sense it's a sort of gain staging. What I'm looking to is to start my mixes with all faders around 0dB and set rough 'static' balances with the trim. This way the faders are working in their most sensitive/responsive range, and the 0dB marking actually means something; it's the variation in volume level from the nominal setting.

This could also be done with a simple gain plugin being the last item in the FX chain on each plugin...but sadly Reaper doesn't have a way to pin a plugin to the bottom of a chain; nor does it have other plugin 'slots'.

Perhaps I'll take a look and see if something can be done via Reaper's extension API...maybe a plugin that can bias the Trim envelope, and then pin that parameter to the TCP? Would be a total Kludge, however as it would have to be inserted as a plugin that actually doesn't process audio, and instead talks to envelopes. Or, maybe there is some other way to get a script control into the TCP.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:03 AM   #4
JonLinnarson

Thats pretty much the same reason I wanted this.

Like I said, there has been quite a lot of discussions about this mainly on the request feature subforum, but there is no way to get a envelope control knob in either the TCP or MCP :/

The only way would be to have the trim volume envelope shown beneath the track and use that volume knob, but it gets really messy in larger projects. The only way to "pin" plug-ins to different placements in the chain is probably this workaround (that really isn't a workaround): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RDUFxsz0Q

The best alternative I've found to having my faders roughly at 0dB is to gainstage with the item volume, either manually or through SWS Loudness, and then making sure that I don't let plug-ins that don't have automatic gain compensation increasing or decreasing my levels.

If you are using a lot of plug-ins that don't have AGC, you can use something like TBProaudio's automatic gain staging JSFX. It consists of one instance that you place first in the FX chain, and another instance that you place last. This will automatically compensate for any changes in level that any plug-in inbetween makes. There are other paid-for solutions like this as well, but the TBProaudio one is free.

None of these solutions are as clean as the trim knob in Cubase i.e, but there's not much else to do unless the Reaper devs decide to either add controls for the envelopes directly into the TCP/MCP or make it possible for scripts to add these controls.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #5
JonLinnarson

You could ofc have a volume/trim plug-in inserted on all tracks and have it shown as a parameter in the TCP. To do this you just check off the "UI" box in the Track Envelopes/Automation window for the parameter you want to be shown. I don't really like having (for example) a JS:Volume/Pan Adjustment instance inserted on every track though. My OCD won't let me hahah.