Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #161
KevinW
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post

I would love one extra mode though were pressing the key sends changes the CC on the knob turn different to what it is on the depressed turn. You could even just use the same CCs used for the non relative mode
LOL, you beat me by 1 minute!

I'm probably misunderstanding, because I assume you know that you do get different commands for the rotation depending on whether the encoder is pressed or not. At least that's how it works here...
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #162
Curvespace

Quote:
I've not got round to testing this yet Curvespace but I recommend making a safety copy of klinke's MCU folder in plugins so you can drop them back in if they go missing again, you could also use that for sharing
Yeah, I'll have a play around with this. See if I can figure out what might be causing it. I don't know how plugins are ID'd to load certain maps - maybe it's related to that somehow?

I'm loving the power of banks/pages/channels. I've been making some really nice maps for synths with everything organised nicely, almost as though it's a digital hardware interface (which, I guess it is really). Kinda feel like I've got a JD800 with a shed-load of different synths inside it
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #163
musicbynumbers

I will try again maybe you don't in relative mode but i might be wrong with that too! back to the drawing board! Lol
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #164
KevinW

Quote:
I will try again maybe you don't in relative mode but i might be wrong with that too! back to the drawing board! Lol
Yeah, in relative mode I just get one CC for rotation (CW=CCW), one for press and one for release. Knowing the thought that Klinke put into this, I would not be surprised to learn that there's a very good reason for this design.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #165
HotDogWater

Thanks for the quick responses. This thing is fantastic - way more powerful than what I thought it was going to be! I notice on the BCF template there are some push actions on the rotary encoders that seem to correspond to the track they sit on (e.g. "record arm"). Apologies if this is more of a Reaper action script question. I can see how you'd do that for the first 8 tracks. How would you do that for 9-16? I probably wouldn't do record arm since that one's already hard coded on a button, but it'd be great to have something like a bypass fx per track.
HotDogWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #166
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDogWater View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. This thing is fantastic - way more powerful than what I thought it was going to be! I notice on the BCF template there are some push actions on the rotary encoders that seem to correspond to the track they sit on (e.g. "record arm"). Apologies if this is more of a Reaper action script question. I can see how you'd do that for the first 8 tracks. How would you do that for 9-16? I probably wouldn't do record arm since that one's already hard coded on a button, but it'd be great to have something like a bypass fx per track.
The record arm assignment for the encoders is calling a script I wrote that either arms the track itself, or arms a midi track corresponding to the audio track that's visible in the MCP. Very useful for multi-out vsts that I use a lot, as I don't want to see the midi track in the mixer. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how else to assign those actions to control tracks beyond 1-8, as you mention. (Well, pressing "shift" would at least get you 9-16, but that's not a great solution).

A workaround would be to map them to actions that affect the selected track, then you'd just have to remember to press the "select" button first. Again, not ideal.

If your interested, here's the Python script that I used. I bet it wouldn't be terribly difficult for you to modify it to something like you're looking for.

Code:
#this script is used to arm a midi track by finding the related audio track
#in the mixer
#The specific channel is defined using the variable 'channel'

channel = 2
total = 0 
numtracks = RPR_CountTracks(0)
found = 0

for i in range(numtracks):
    track = RPR_GetTrack(0, i)
    shown = RPR_GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(track,"B_SHOWINMIXER")
    if shown == 1:
        total = total + 1
        if total == channel:
            trackidx=RPR_GetTrack(0, i)
            Track_Name = RPR_GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(trackidx, "P_NAME","", 0)[3]
            isarmed = RPR_GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(trackidx, "I_RECARM")
            if isarmed == 0:
                RPR_SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(trackidx,'I_RECARM',1)
            else:
                RPR_SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(trackidx,'I_RECARM',0)

miditrackidx=RPR_GetTrack(0, i)
    Track_Name_Midi = RPR_GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(miditrackidx, "P_NAME","", 0)[3]
    if Track_Name_Midi[:-5] == Track_Name:
        found = 1
        isarmed = RPR_GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(miditrackidx, "I_RECARM")
        if isarmed == 0:
            RPR_SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(miditrackidx,'I_RECARM',1)
        else:
            RPR_SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(miditrackidx,'I_RECARM',0)

if found == 1:
    RPR_SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(trackidx,'I_RECARM',0)
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #167
Klinke

Quote:
Sorry just saw this. When you hold plugin mode button down so that the roatary encoders allow you to choose the plug in (in sonar mode on a bcf anyway) the first encoder can be pushed and gives you "fx 0" that might not be the name, not near reaper right now. it doesn't seem to do anything or cause any harm
That's a bug. I have fixed it right now, maybe i will release an update this weekend, but as you mentioned, it doesn't harm so i see no hurry.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #168
musicbynumbers

Fine by me Klinke, you have done enough already! still just can't believe the power you squeezed in here!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #169
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvespace View Post
Has anyone had any issues with plugins not reloading the maps you've made for them? I seem to get this occasionally - I make a map, saving it as I go along. All's well. I load the plugin on a new track and it doesn't load the map. I then return to the first instance of the plugin and my mapping is no longer loaded for that either. From then on it refuses to load the map in future. The most recent time this has occurred was midway through making a mammoth map for UltraAnalog. Doh!
Form the readme: "When a FX is selected via the MCU or the name of the selected FX is changed in the Track FX dialog, a map is loaded if it's name is part of the FX name. E.g. if the FX name is "VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)" and it exist a map "ReaEQ", this map will be loaded. First the user created maps (which are stored in the directory "My Documents/MCU/PlugMaps/") are matched, if no map is found there, the installed factory maps gets also a chance. So you can modify a factory map and store it with the same name, afterwards you will always get your modified version loaded (till you delete the file from the "My Documents/MCU/PlugMaps/" folder)."

Is the mechanism clear now? It looks more complicated then necessery, but with the Reaper API i can't get the filename of the plugin, only the name that Reaper is showing in it's GUI. But it has the big advantage, that you can have different maps for the same plugins, which is important e.g. for Reaktor. I have saved my favorite Reaktor-Ensambles as fx-chains, name the (single) FX in the chain to the ensemble name. So when i add one of these chains, i get automatically loaded the correct ensemble and map.

Quote:
Also, where do we submit usermaps - I have a few that might be of use to the community.
If you want, you can send them to me and i will add them to the next release.

Best,
Klinke
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #170
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Yeah, in relative mode I just get one CC for rotation (CW=CCW), one for press and one for release. Knowing the thought that Klinke put into this, I would not be surprised to learn that there's a very good reason for this design.
Yes, the CC for rotation is the same, but the value of the 2nd byte depends on how fast you rotate the encoder and the "Normal/Pressed Speed" settings in the MCU Editor for the Action Mode. So you can select that you have finer movements while the encoder is pressed, as i have done it in the FXparm page of the default Action Mode.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #171
musicbynumbers

Default interesting... ;)

"I have saved my favorite Reaktor-Ensambles as fx-chains, name the (single) FX in the chain to the ensemble name. So when i add one of these chains, i get automatically loaded the correct ensemble and map."

So I could effectively load up a synth with assignable "morph controls" like fm8 or alchemy, name them in the synth, make a new mcu patch, name the instance of the synth the same as my new mcu patch, save it as a chain and have this per synth

that sounds fantastic!

is there a memory address limit on the amount of patches we can save or are we talking thousands?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #172
Klinke

Quote:
So I could effectively load up a synth with assignable "morph controls" like fm8 or alchemy, name them in the synth, make a new mcu patch, name the instance of the synth the same as my new mcu patch, save it as a chain and have this per synth

that sounds fantastic!

is there a memory address limit on the amount of patches we can save or are we talking thousands?
Yep, that should be possible. As long as the name doesn't collide (the name of a new map mustn't be a substring of an existing map and visavis) you can create as much maps as you like, only the filenames are stored in the memory, the maps itselfs are loaded on demand.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #173
musicbynumbers

So you couldn't have

Mega morph-1
Mega morph-2

But you could have

1-mega morph
2-mega morph

Or do you mean if your files called "mega" or "morph" any of these names will load that patch?

Also i guess you could go into your folder and rename your files to match the synth name if you wanted to rename the synth but keep your control patch.

That leads me to, i guess renaming an instance destroys the connection then unless you only append a name to what's already there?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #174
Klinke

E.g. if you have a map with the name "Mega morph" you can't save a new map with the name "Mega morph-1", because "Mega morph" is part of the new name.

See the following (theoretical) example: You have two maps, one with the name "foo" and a second one with the name "foobar", and you load a FX with the name "VST: foobar". My rule to determine the corresponding map is, that the mapname must be a part of of the FX name, but this is in this case true for "foo" and "foobar", so it's not deterministic which map is loaded.

The good news is: You mustn't track all of your map names, because my self-built Save-Dialog doesn't allow you to name a map "foobar" in the case that "foo" already exist, and it also doesn't allow to name a map "foo" in the case that "foobar" already exist. But if you rename a file by yourself, you must be really careful.

Quote:
That leads me to, i guess renaming an instance destroys the connection then unless you only append a name to what's already there?
Yep, when you rename an instance, this will be detected by the mcu extension, and it will check if there exist a map that match with the new name.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #175
Klinke

Quote:
I then return to the first instance of the plugin and my mapping is no longer loaded for that either. From then on it refuses to load the map in future. The most recent time this has occurred was midway through making a mammoth map for UltraAnalog. Doh!
It's important to understand that the mappings of plugin-instances are not cached in the memory. So if you edit a map, don't save it, select a different plugin and return to the one, where you did the changes, they are gone. So, when you start to work on a map, it's a good idea to save even an empty map and turn on the autosave option in the mapping editor (you must save the map before, so that the autosave function knows a filename). When autosave is enabled, the map will be saved automatically when you select a different plugin.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #176
Curvespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
Is the mechanism clear now?
Yes, that got it! Thanks! I suspect I'll be up till late tonight putting together a super-map for UltraAnalog...I mean, 'Ultra Analog'.

Quote:
If you want, you can send them to me and i will add them to the next release.
Cool. I've put together 20-30 maps. I'll do some more now that we've sorted out the above. I'm gonna put a few together for some De La Mancha plugs and I can send them over. PM me with your email address and I'll get them to you.

Thanks again, for everything, I'm loving this set-up
Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #177
musicbynumbers

thanks klinke

to be ultra clear if I don't put a space in can you have

reaeq

reacomp

reaverb

etc.. but can't have

rea eq

rea comp

rea verb

I might have misunderstood but it seems it could get hard to name stuff, what if too items have "eq" in them? OR is it only if the two items START with "eq" so if I had "reaeq" and "eqgraphic" it would be ok right?

lol, sorry to be a pain, I'm not near reaper to test this but I thought this would be good for new users to read through later anyway!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #178
Klinke

Space isn't handled different then other characters, so the combination of "rea eq", "rea comp" and "rea verb" is unproblematic. If the plugin is called only "rea" (or "reaeq"), none of these maps will be loaded, but if it's called "rea equaliser", "rea eq" matches, but the other two not.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #179
musicbynumbers

Default found a little "niggle" :)

Thanks for this reply Klinke only just saw it.

I have a little "semi-bug" I found which might be worth looking at for the next release.

In action mode (at least on the BCFs) when you hold the action mode button to change to a new set of actions (new bank), You have to press down the rotary encoder, but if you have an action programmed to activate on the "release" of that encoder (for the bank you have selected) then it gets activated on release which can cause some trouble.

This is in sonar mode, what's weird is I', sure I use to use the select button to choose a new action bank in the BCF's cubcase mode so this didn't happen.

I'm not sure if there is a work around though, thought I'd mention it though in case there's a way round it.

-one other thing I would love to see is the ability to have parameters on the display stay a little longer on none touch sensitive surfaces like the BCFs as they only display when we move a control now (in plug in mode) and go as soon as it stops moving making it difficult to see it.

A timer setting somewhere (don't mind where) would be great or just a tick box to make it last even 1 or 2 secs later.

thanks Klinke!

still gob smacked by how great you have made my cheapo BCFs!! lol
Old 03-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #180
Klinke

Quote:
In action mode (at least on the BCFs) when you hold the action mode button to change to a new set of actions (new bank), You have to press down the rotary encoder, but if you have an action programmed to activate on the "release" of that encoder (for the bank you have selected) then it gets activated on release which can cause some trouble.
That was easy to fix (needed only a "!" ;-) ). I don't see a workaround till i released an update (i will to this in the next days).

Quote:
-one other thing I would love to see is the ability to have parameters on the display stay a little longer on none touch sensitive surfaces like the BCFs as they only display when we move a control now (in plug in mode) and go as soon as it stops moving making it difficult to see it.

A timer setting somewhere (don't mind where) would be great or just a tick box to make it last even 1 or 2 secs later.
The faders of the BCF doesn't send any touched messages? So e.g. in the plugin mode, you get only the parameter-display for encoders (where i simulate a touch-mode, because the MCU-encoders arn't touched sensitiv)? Increasing the time for the encoders is simple, but for the faders it would need some more work.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #181
musicbynumbers

Thanks Klinke no rush.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #182
HotDogWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW
If your interested, here's the Python script that I used. I bet it wouldn't be terribly difficult for you to modify it to something like you're looking for.
Thanks for sharing your code KevinW- I don't know Python and probably can't learn it this week but that's good reference. In the meantime I think I can find some other uses for the push vPots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers
In action mode (at least on the BCFs) when you hold the action mode button to change to a new set of actions (new bank)...
You can have more than 1 bank of actions? What do you press after holding down action?

Klinke - this thing is way cool. Excellent work. Apparently this does even more than I can ascertain from the readme and this thread. Every time someone posts I find out more. This will change the way I work with Reaper (for the better).
Old 03-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #183
musicbynumbers

in sonar mode on the BCFs it's the rotary encoders, you push them down. 1-8 will choose banks one to eight.

If you hold "alt" on your real keyboard (provided you have that option ticked in device settings) you can hold alt and press the action key on the bcf or mackie and it opens up klinke's editor, same goes for plug in mode

or did I mistake what you said?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #184
HotDogWater

I think you answered my question. So for example, hold down the action mode button, press rotary encoder 2 down, and now I can assign an entire new set of actions to the rotary encoders (as well as the shifted assignable buttons) from what I had assigned in the first bank.

To get back to the first bank (the only one I've used so far) I'd get back to by holding down the action mode button and pressing rotary encoder 1 down. Right?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #185
KevinW

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your code KevinW- I don't know Python and probably can't learn it this week but that's good reference. In the meantime I think I can find some other uses for the push vPots.
Understood. But I liked your idea, so I took the liberty of modifying the code for my own use. Here it is if you ever decide to take the plunge into python (the water's very warm, btw!)

Code:
#this script is used to bypass the FX chain on the track specified 
#          shown in the mixer
#The specific channel is defined using the variable 'channel'

channel = 2
total = 0 
numtracks = RPR_CountTracks(0)
found = 0

track = RPR_GetTrack(0, i)
    shown = RPR_GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(track,"B_SHOWINMIXER")
    if shown == 1:
        total = total + 1
        if total == channel:
            trackidx=RPR_GetTrack(0, i)
            Track_Name = RPR_GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(trackidx, "P_NAME","", 0)[3]
            isFXactive = RPR_GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(trackidx, "I_FXEN")
            if isFXactive == 0:
                RPR_SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(trackidx,'I_FXEN',1)
            else:
                RPR_SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(trackidx,'I_FXEN',0)
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #186
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I think you answered my question. So for example, hold down the action mode button, press rotary encoder 2 down, and now I can assign an entire new set of actions to the rotary encoders (as well as the shifted assignable buttons) from what I had assigned in the first bank.

To get back to the first bank (the only one I've used so far) I'd get back to by holding down the action mode button and pressing rotary encoder 1 down. Right?
That's correct and you edit their names by pressing your real keyboard's alt down whilst pressing your action mode button.

you have similar banks for plug in mode too.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #187
Klinke

I just uploaded a new version (v0.6.4) to the stash. It contains the Action Bank selection bugfix (see the report from musicbynumbers some postings before) and also a fader-touch simulation for the bcf2000 (and all options added for the bcf2000 are combined to a single one).

Also Curvespace has send me a lot of new Plugmaps, e.g. for Ultra Analog. Thanks a lot.

Best,
Klinke
Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #188
Curvespace

Quote:
...and also a fader-touch simulation for the bcf2000 (and all options added for the bcf2000 are combined to a single one).
Woot! Awesome job
Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #189
BenK-msx

Quote:
fader-touch simulation for the bcf2000 (and all options added for the bcf2000 are combined to a single one).

Klinke
what does that do then?!
select track on fader move? or that and more?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #190
musicbynumbers

Thanks klinke will try it when i get a chance to on the week end.

Ben, it should make it easier to see parameters on the bcfview without them disappearing to quickly.
Sounds like it should also allow us poor bcf guys to do touch automation with out fader wrestling! lol
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #191
Klinke

Quote:
Sounds like it should also allow us poor bcf guys to do touch automation with out fader wrestling! lol
Give it a try, i'm not sure right now (without looking at the code) that the simulated fader touches will be also send to Reaper, but i fear that this is not the case.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #192
BenK-msx

ah i see - thanks.

i've chosen (for the time being) to stick with my simpler, less awesome setup on bcf, as for one i never really got on with bcfview when used before and i like having buttons 'free' to do whatever whenever, and not too many of them either.( i guess just relying on memory really for speed, maybe i need a better memory!)
e.g the 'adjust last touched param with cc' feature coming soon is getting good use here with just one controller (and will get more when minor niggles are sorted)
but of course this is indeed a great development and klinke deserves much praise for the hard work involved.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #193
KevinW

Quote:
I'm afraid if the fader is moving, it still takes quite a bit of effort to override (even with the latest Klinke plugin).

Klinke, I noticed that the real MCU with Cubase overlay has a button for 'Motor Override'. I wonder if that feature could be accessed somehow.

Regardless, the plugin is fantastic. Thanks once again.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #194
Klinke

Quote:
I'm afraid if the fader is moving, it still takes quite a bit of effort to override (even with the latest Klinke plugin).
Have you tried it with a higher "Control surface display update frequency"? Maybe this could help.

Quote:
Klinke, I noticed that the real MCU with Cubase overlay has a button for 'Motor Override'. I wonder if that feature could be accessed somehow.
I only see a button called "Motors" that disable the fader motors. Do you mean this? Such a feature doesn't exist in the CSurf at the moment.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #195
KevinW

Quote:
Have you tried it with a higher "Control surface display update frequency"? Maybe this could help.

I only see a button called "Motors" that disable the fader motors. Do you mean this? Such a feature doesn't exist in the CSurf at the moment.
The update frequency doesn't seem to help.
The button you refer to is what I was talking about. Too bad that feature doesn't exist, as it would be a workaround for the BCF touch mode.

Like I said, I'm very satisfied with the plugin as it stands. I can live with the lack of touch automation. I've become used to editing envelopes manually anyway.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #196
pixeltarian

first I wan't to apologize if I ever came off as rude or inconsiderate. I didn't mean to come across that way, it was more my frustration at owning a mac and not getting all the nice goodies everyone else gets.

that being said, I was wondering what the estimated difficulty in compiling this on a mac would be. I would be more than willing to try and learn how.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #197
musicbynumbers

I have a momentary pedal set up to toggle touch mode when i press it connected directly to the bcf as it sends out a cc to actions window, we really need a toggle for latch and write mode though.
For mac users..Think klinke said he doesn't mind if another programmer has the software to convert but his reply is in this thread somewhere and it's safer to find that then take my word.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #198
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
that being said, I was wondering what the estimated difficulty in compiling this on a mac would be. I would be more than willing to try and learn how.
The biggest estimated difficulty is that i expect that alot of problems will arise that i'm not aware of at the moment. That is maybe the most important lession i have learned from programming ;-)

The tasks that must be done and that i'm aware of are:
- Download and build the BOOST library
- Download and build the JUCE library
- Download and install the Reaper API
- Create an XCode project with the settings needed for Reaper, throw all my files into it, add BOOST/JUCE/Reaper API to include/link dirs.
- Create a resource for the Settings dialog
- I think also the dialog handling/main functions etc. exist only as Windows-Code must get an OSX version (but maybe some part of the Cockos-Library will solve this)
- Find a replacement of GetAsyncKeystate, which i use for detected the state of the Keyboard-modifier, because JUCE didn't provided a platform-independent solution

Best,
Klinke
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #199
pixeltarian

well that all sounds real complicated. So I started a bounty for it:
http://www.reaperbounty.tooshka.com/...ic.php?40.post
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #200
Coerce

I finally had time to take the plunge and check this way out of using the bcf.

Before I couldn't get it to work in mackie mode but found out all bcf ins and outs have to be disabled in midi devices panel

Everything works great, simple and easy to set up. One thing I miss from my normal bc mode set up is the ability to have my bcfs mapped to different channels. I'd have one set to channels 1-8 whilst the other would be set to 41-48 for controlling a separate mix for whoever I'm recording. Is there anyway to do this with this set up?

Instead of using one as the control and one as the extended I've used them both as the control as this lets me use the functions on either unit.

Also is there anyway to control hardware outputs as well as sends and returns? This would be killer as I like to use a bit of outboard when i'm mixing and tracking.
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote