Old 07-13-2018, 05:40 AM   #1
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default ReaRack Envelope Multi-Tool

ReaRack has been missing a multi-stage envelope generator, a complex waveform LFO and a step sequencer. I have combined all three in one module, the Envelope Multi-Tool, here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34071/ReaR...dularSynth.zip

The Multi-tool used as an ADSR envelope generator -

The Multi-tool used as a step sequencer -

This FX can provide envelopes with 1 to 16 stages. The output can be either MIDI CC or MIDI Note-on/off messages. If 16 stages is not enough, up to 16 envelopes can be chained together, providing up to 256 stages. The envelope can be looped, which provides the mechanism for creating an LFO or a recursive sequencer. A chain of envelopes can also be looped.

There are multiple trigger modes available, including loop modes (if chaining envelopes, the 'Triggered single pass - no sustain' method is recommended).

There are various methods for controlling stage lengths (using either seconds or beats as the time base) and note lengths and velocity, if outputting MIDI notes.

If outputting MIDI notes, you can specify a root note. Note values are displayed as MIDI note value and, in brackets, the note value based on the root note.

There is a control to set the minimum stage length. This control is mainly for the click reduction method used by the ReaRack Amplifier module. The default value is 0.25 milliseconds. If you want a fast attack followed by a fast decay the recommended method is to use a step curve for the first stage and set the stage length to the minimum stage length. This will allow the amplifier to reach full volume before progressing to the decay stage. The startup default envelope, a standard ADSR envelope, is set up this way. If you want a slow attack, change the curve type to Bezier and increase the stage length.

There is a control for the sustain level, as well as the ability to adjust the sustain level in the graphics area. The sustain level control is provided mainly as a handle for modulation.

All controls can be modulated, except for Root Note and Minimum Stage Length. As most of the heavy calculation for this module is performed in the GFX section, modulation is not particularly smooth, as it is updated only 15 to 30 times per second. Only one control method for each function (stage length, note length or velocity) can be modulated. However, this still provides for up to 49 possible modulations at any one time.

The curve for each stage can be either a Bezier curve or a step. You can combine both Bezier curve and step stages in one envelope.

Two new 'Class' types have been added to provide the method for chaining envelopes together. Choose the class 'Chain Link' to link to other instances of the Envelope Multi-Tool. Use the 'Class Group or Chain Position' slider to designate the position in the chain. Select the 'Chain Looper' class for the last link in the chain, if you want the chain to loop.

The GUI is a combination of standard JSFX sliders and an interactive graphics area. The sliders should be self explanatory. The graphic UI is divided into three areas. The envelope definition area is where you choose the number of stages. The stage definition area is where you define the curve for each stage. The Envelope output area shows the final envelope shape. The graphical controls are operated as follows:

In the envelope definition area:
Click and drag the grey tag on the right hand end to change the number of stages.
If adding stages, hold down the shift key while dragging the tag to give all new stages the same curve type as the initial end stage.

In either the envelope definition or the envelope output areas:
Click in a stage box to make it the active stage.

In either the envelope definition, the envelope output areas, or the stage definition area:
Double click in the active stage box to toggle between curve and step modes.

In the stage definition area:
Click and drag the red, green, grey or yellow control points to control the shape of the envelope stage curve.
Double click a red curve end point to make it the sustain point (except in a loop trigger mode or single pass).
Double click the green middle control point to straighten the curve.
Hold down the ctrl/command key for fine movement of control points.

At some point I will update the ReaRack collection and the Manual. In the meantime, please provide feedback and bug reports if you get a chance to try out this module.

Last edited by Time Waster; 01-28-2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Fixed the link to the Multi-tool location.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you for sharing!
You do cool stuff but use one on Reaper is really unhandy, unfortunately.
Did you think about do something like MPL's ReaSamplomatic5000 manager to adjust all ReaRack on nice window?

Last edited by Ivannn Bennnettt; 07-13-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Time Waster

It has never been the intention to have ReaRack exist in one window. ReaRack is not a handy synth that you plug in to the DAW. The intention is that, with ReaRack, the DAW IS the synth.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
mschnell

Maybe it makes sense to combine ReaRack with one of the Scripts That create a GUI for a Track's FX chain ? (I never tested one of those...)

BTW.: Thank you for this obviously awesome extension to ReaRack !

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Ivannn Bennnettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe it makes sense to combine ReaRack with one of the Scripts That create a GUI for a Track's FX chain ? (I never tested one of those...)

BTW.: Thank you for this obviously awesome extension to ReaRack !

-Michael
Do you mean LBX Stripper?
Old 07-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
mschnell

AFAIK, there are several of those, appearing in multiple FR Threads.

-Michael
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
Time Waster

I haven't tried an FX strip either, so I don't know what the advantage would be. I'll have to look into it. I suspect that there are potentially too many controls to make a single window a practical solution.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
mschnell

In some FR thread we have been discussing macro parameters. I don't know whether this has been implemented, nor if this makes much sense with ReaRack.

-Michael
Old 07-16-2018, 01:57 AM   #9
Time Waster

Back on the envelope multi-tool itself, MIDI note output has two options, ablolute and relative note value output. The absolute option outputs notes according to the height of the envelope. If using a Bezier curve the note value output will be rounded down to the nearest integer. As the value is incremented, a note off message will be sent followed by a note on for the new note. Relative output is as per the above, except that the note value will be raised or lowered by the difference between the trigger note value and the start value of the envelope. Notes that fall outside the range of 0 to 127 will be raised or lowered by one octave until it is within range.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
Time Waster

Don't forget that ReaRack modules are not exclusive to ReaRack. This envelope tool can be used indepenently anywhere you want to create a control envelope or as a note sequencer for any other synth that accepts MIDI note input.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #11
Ozman

Really, Reaper just needs a good nodal view for fx on a track.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
Ivannn Bennnettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Really, Reaper just needs a good nodal view for fx on a track.
It's a pain
Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
Nixon

Mschnell can you post some links to the fr threads maybe we can remind the devs how awesome this would be. Some macro for fxchains maybe with a scriptable gui would push user made instruments on pair with racks in ableton etc.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
mschnell

Even though, IMHO, the method provided by Reaper out of the box is absolutely decent, and on top of this, Scripts can be provided by those who feel like doing so, to "beautify" the FX Chain Routing (e.g. in a kind of "Container" paradigm) - and at best combine this with macro parameters to do "Morphing"....

Maybe here:
-> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=125949
-> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=11441
-> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=192648&

There certainly is much more, but i did not test any of it.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-16-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #15
Time Waster

Doesn't ReaRack's master/slave functionality help with some of this? Most of the modules allow one module to control many of the same.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #16
mschnell

The stuff I mentioned is not about the technical aspects of (or enabling) the "pin" (and Midi) routing within an FX chain, but about providing a "user friendly" (graphical) way to manage it.

-Michael
Old 07-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #17
Time Waster

Default Moved to ReaRack Collection

The Envelope Multi-Tool JSFX has been moved to the ReaRack collection and is no longer available as a separate download. A bug was fixed concerning the 'Minimum Stage Length' control.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #18
dupont

Is it possible to trigger a different stage of the envelope for each midi note ?
I tried to play around this plugin but the only way I found to modulate a midi controler was in loop mode.

I can't figure out how the other modes work.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #19
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
Is it possible to trigger a different stage of the envelope for each midi note ?
I tried to play around this plugin but the only way I found to modulate a midi controler was in loop mode.

I can't figure out how the other modes work.
Have you read the manual?

It's not possible to step through each stage, if thats what you mean? I could maybe add that in though, as another trigger mode.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:00 AM   #20
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Have you read the manual?

It's not possible to step through each stage, if thats what you mean? I could maybe add that in though, as another trigger mode.
I red the manual but honestly after tweaking the parameters for 1 hour, i did not understand everything.
My idea is to trig a different envelop segment for each note stroke in order to make subtle plugin instrument changes.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #21
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
My idea is to trig a different envelop segment for each note stroke in order to make subtle plugin instrument changes.
I can see how that could be useful. I will add it to my list of things to do, but it won't happen overnight
Old 10-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
dupont

Quote:
I can see how that could be useful. I will add it to my list of things to do, but it won't happen overnight
Thanks
Old 10-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #23
Time Waster

If you have any questions about anything that is not explained in the manual, please post them here and I will attempt to answer them.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #24
Time Waster

@dupont, I have modified the ReaRack3 version of the Envelope Multi-tool by adding two more trigger modes. The first, Single Stage - sequential, allows the envelope to be advanced to the next stage on each note received. The second, Single Stage - chromatic, will trigger a single stage based on the chromatic position of the note relative to the root note as set by the root note control. With this second option, the number of stages that can be triggered is limited to 12.

The ReaRack3 beta version collection is here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34071/ReaR...dularSynth.zip

I intend to add these updates to the ReaRack 2 version at some point.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #25
dupont

Quote:
@dupont, I have modified the ReaRack3 version of the Envelope Multi-tool by adding two more trigger modes. The first, Single Stage - sequential, allows the envelope to be advanced to the next stage on each note received. The second, Single Stage - chromatic, will trigger a single stage based on the chromatic position of the note relative to the root note as set by the root note control. With this second option, the number of stages that can be triggered is limited to 12.

The ReaRack3 beta version collection is here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34071/ReaR...dularSynth.zip

I intend to add these updates to the ReaRack 2 version at some point.
Thanks for you effort but I still can't understand out how it works !
I assigned modulation wheel to filter cutoff in Tyrell N6.
modulation wheel is also assign to enveloppe multi tool output.

result : If I play a note, only the 1st enveloppe segment is triggered, I can't hear any change of tyrell N3 filter cutoff.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m4...-U4ETQg7kikzie
Old 11-12-2018, 04:06 AM   #26
Time Waster

I'm not in front of my computer right now, otherwise I would attempt to reproduce your example, but you might want to set the velocity sensitivity to zero, because that is reducing the level of your output. You could also use an instance of ReaControlMIDI to log the output from the Envelope Multi-tool to make sure you are actually getting some output.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #27
Time Waster

Ok, back on my computer now I can see that your stage lengths are very short (0.026 beats). Depending on what you are trying to do, you might want to increase that. The stage length setting is determined by the control unit (which you have set to 1/16 beats) multiplied by the control multiplier (yours set to 0.424).

If you are not modulating anything, best set the control input to 'off'.

However, I'm not sure why it's not advancing to the next stage on each note. I'm testing it here with the same stage lengths you are using and it's advancing OK.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #28
dupont

I set longer envelopes time and reduced velocity sensibility.
I inserted a reacontrolmidi before Tyrell N6.
As you can see on the video :
envelope segments are still not advancing and no modulation wheel data are received inside reacontrolmidi log, only notes on/off.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M4...jI_2Iss7TlqjJG
Old 11-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #29
Time Waster

I tried to view your movie, but Google says it is in the bin?
Later: OK I was able to view the movie. Everything looks OK, so I don't understand why it's not advancing or producing any output. The only thing I notice is that you have the MIDI channel output set to 'All', which I don't recommend because it will spit out large amounts of data. However that shouldn't be stopping it from working. I've tested this on Windows and Linux, but not MacOS. Can't see why the operating system would be an issue though.

Last edited by Time Waster; 11-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #30
Time Waster

In this example I am triggering the envelope from a MIDI item:

Old 11-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #31
Time Waster

Can someone else try this out and give a report please?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 AM   #32
dupont

I gave it another try this morning after updating to last reaper to 5,961 + dev 1112/64.
It now works as expected !
The modulation wheel controler assigned to Tyrell N6 now moved according to the envelope segment triggered.
That's a usefull tool for adding expression and evolving sounds.
Great job.

Note : if midi output is set to all, the envelope is laggy. I set to channel 1 as your advice.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bx...418U1H2ExKVhAH
Old 11-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #33
Time Waster

Great, I'm glad it's working for you. Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me which version of reaper you were using previously?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #34
dupont

Quote:
Great, I'm glad it's working for you. Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me which version of reaper you were using previously?
It was 5.961 + dev 1103.
Another question : is it posible to make each segment values independant from each other ?
Currently, the envelope end value of the previous segment is linked to the start of the next segment.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #35
Time Waster

The only way to do that is to use step mode, but then you won't get the output varying across the stage. However, there are many options for further modulating the output, or for mixing the output signal with another control signal.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #36
dupont

Quote:
The only way to do that is to use step mode, but then you won't get the output varying across the stage. However, there are many options for further modulating the output, or for mixing the output signal with another control signal.
OK, Where can i find the manual ?

I noticed this behavior this afternoon which could explain the triggering issue. To reproduce :
reaper is stopped, single stage sequential mode is selected
If I press a note on the midi keyboard => normal behavior enveloppe is triggered
If I select another trigger mode, for exemple re-trigger from start value and switch back to single stage sequential mode => result envelope is no more triggered
insert a midi clip with some notes inside and Reaper in mode play => result single stage sequential mode is back OK
Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #37
dupont

Also noticed if I move the control modulation range slider, the change input field changes at the same time.
If I select CC74, CC71 is set.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #38
Time Waster

@dupont, thanks again for the feedback, I will look into those issues.

The manual is for ReaRack2 only, but the principle is the same for ReaRack3. The manual can be found either in the ReaRack2 zip file in the stash or separately here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28621/ReaRack_Manual.pdf
Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #39
Time Waster

I've found and fixed one of the bugs, which was causing the input slider to change immediately after selecting a new stage, if another slider was moved (updated version in the stash).

I haven't had a chance to look at the trigger bug yet. @dupont, are you using an external keyboard or MIDI controller?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #40
dupont

Quote:
I've found and fixed one of the bugs, which was causing the input slider to change immediately after selecting a new stage, if another slider was moved (updated version in the stash).

I haven't had a chance to look at the trigger bug yet. @dupont, are you using an external keyboard or MIDI controller?
Yes, i'm using an external keyboard with MIDI controllers.
Also is there a way to retrigger the envelope at the first stage or a the beginning of a midi clip ?

I'll try the new version this evening and report for the slider issue.