Old 09-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
herg67
Human being with feelings

Default Icon QCon Pro G2 and Reaper

After watching reviews I have found that I am leaning heavily towards the Icon QCon Pro G2 for using with Reaper. Its aesthetically nice as I do not like the look of the X-Touch. Can anyone who has actual experience with this tell me how well it works with Reaper, are there limitations e.g, effect automation.

Thanks.
herg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
uksnowy

I have one and it works about 80% with the standard MMC setup. But if you use the CSI interface you can completely customise how the controller works is Reaper. Steep learning curve but worth it.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
I have one and it works about 80% with the standard MMC setup. But if you use the CSI interface you can completely customise how the controller works is Reaper. Steep learning curve but worth it.
That's good to know but it baffles me why all controllers that pretty much do the same thing (fade/record/mute/solo etc etc) don't speak the same language. Why is Reaper always the DAW that seems to be on a different planet ?

having said that, I just want it for the basic controls (faders/sends/play/stop etc) as I like the aesthetics so have now ordered it.

Last edited by herg67; 09-09-2020 at 10:56 AM.
herg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #4
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herg67 View Post
That's good to know but it baffles me why all controllers that pretty much do the same thing (fade/record/mute/solo etc etc) don't speak the same language. Why is Reaper always the DAW that seems to be on a different planet ?

having said that, I just want it for the basic controls (faders/sends/play/stop etc) as I like the aesthetics so have now ordered it.
Then you will have no problems. I ran it on the standard Mackie MC profile and it worked ok. But I soon was missing some thins like jog etc.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #5
Zabelle_be

Hello,

For my part, I have the Icon Platform M +, B + and D2.
Everything works with Driven By Moss which has done a very good job of integration.
The only thing you need to know: you must use the Overlay, provided by Icon, from Bitwig and not that from Reaper.
Zabelle_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
poetnprophet

I have the Icon prox, that I bought mostly for aesthetics only because of that beautiful meter bridge that still mesmerizes me lol (there weren't a lot of reviews at the time). I personally wish I hadn't done that. Just saying, that's usually the wrong reason to buy equipment. Try to get your hands on it and feel what its like.

If you just want faders and transport, basic stuff, the stock MCU protocol, or Klinkes plugin are all that's needed and give you full basic controls. I don't know why everyone says things don't work in reaper, I have used at least 5-8 different controllers with Reaper in 3 different protocols, they all work without any issues. The hardest one to get working is CSI, but is also the most powerful, flexible, customizable, useful.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
Asaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
What are you meaning by the "CSI interface"?

Are you using a hybrid of the Reaper MCU panel with additional programmed buttons? Or did you start from scratch?
Asaph is offline   Reply With Quote