Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-09-2024, 04:35 AM   #1
Hermetech Mastering
Human being with feelings

Default Question About FX & FX Chain Oversampling

I always work at 96k. Recently I've been experimenting with oversampling FX and FX Chains with Reaper's built in OS, rather than using the plugins' individual OS (if they have it).

The anomaly is, I'm presented with the option of, "Oversample up to 88.2k/96k", even though I'm already working at 96k. Does this mean the effect will be the same as when I select "No oversampling"? Or does it actually mean oversample x2 the current sample rate? In which case, the labelling of the options is not accurate, and I feel it would make more sense for the options to be "OS x2 current sample rate", x3, x4 etc., instead of using actual kHz figures.

Am confused, please enlighten!

Latest Reaper release on Windows 11.
Hermetech Mastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 07:09 AM   #2
elcalen

The wording should be quite literal. If it says oversample to 96k and you're already at 96k, then it should not do anything, as far as I understand it.

I think noting it as a multiplier could potentially be more confusing, because project sample rates can change. This way the sample rate for the plugin remains the same even if you later decide to change the overall sample rate. Say for example you're working on a project in 48k, but you think a certain plugin works better at 96k. If you later decide to increase the overall sample rate to 96k, it wouldn't make sense to have that one plugin's oversampling jump to 192k, that would be redundant...
Old 06-09-2024, 07:21 AM   #3
Hermetech Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcalen View Post
The wording should be quite literal. If it says oversample to 96k and you're already at 96k, then it should not do anything, as far as I understand it.

I think noting it as a multiplier could potentially be more confusing, because project sample rates can change. This way the sample rate for the plugin remains the same even if you later decide to change the overall sample rate. Say for example you're working on a project in 48k, but you think a certain plugin works better at 96k. If you later decide to increase the overall sample rate to 96k, it wouldn't make sense to have that one plugin's oversampling jump to 192k, that would be redundant...
Thanks, agree and agree!

It SHOULD be quite literal, I'm just wondering if it is. If it says OS to 88/96 and it's actually OSing to 192, then that's a problem that needs sorting.

I see what you mean about displaying actual project sample rates, which may be clearer in some circumstances (not mine, as I said, I always work at 96k), but then Reaper should know what sample rate it's currently set to, and give you the correct options. IMO there shouldn't be an option to OS to a rate that you are currently at, along with "No oversampling", as it just adds confusion, hence this post.

I guess ideally it would display OS multiplier AND OS sample rate, correctly.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:31 AM   #4
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
IMO there shouldn't be an option to OS to a rate that you are currently at, along with "No oversampling", as it just adds confusion, hence this post.

I guess ideally it would display OS multiplier AND OS sample rate, correctly.
Well, in theory one could set it to the current sample rate and then if they later lower the project sample rate, the oversampling would kick in and keep that plugin at the original rate. I don't think that's a common scenario, but theoretically possible

I personally don't find it confusing, because it's worded in literal terms. But you're right, ideally it would probably display both the target sample rate and the current effective multiplier.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:33 AM   #5
ScuzzyEye

It is literal.

If you are working at or above the requested oversampling rate, Reaper does nothing. You're setting the minimum rate you want the plug-in to run at, and Reaper will up-sample to make sure it is at least that rate. Though, it may already be higher depending on the project rate, the chain oversampling, or the individual FX oversampling.

The FX window title bar does show the current multiplier. If you have an FX set to 96k, and you're working at 96k, it shows nothing. But if you then set the oversampling to 192k, it'll show [2x] in the title bar.
ScuzzyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 07:43 AM   #6
Hermetech Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzyEye View Post
It is literal.

If you are working at or above the requested oversampling rate, Reaper does nothing. You're setting the minimum rate you want the plug-in to run at, and Reaper will up-sample to make sure it is at least that rate. Though, it may already be higher depending on the project rate, the chain oversampling, or the individual FX oversampling.

The FX window title bar does show the current multiplier. If you have an FX set to 96k, and you're working at 96k, it shows nothing. But if you then set the oversampling to 192k, it'll show [2x] in the title bar.
Brilliant, thanks, that's all I wanted to know! I want to oversample the FX Chain at 96k x 2, so I'll set the oversampling to 192. Hadn't noticed the title bar thing either, so thanks for that too.

I still think it should automatically remove the option that does nothing (same as your current sample rate), when you already have the "No oversampling" option, but at least now I trust that when I set it to 192k, it really is.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:14 AM   #7
Hermetech Mastering

Another maybe strange thing. As expected, if you click the Chain "+" box to the right of the preset select, or right click on the Chain header, and set your Chain Oversampling, restart playback, the header does show 2x, or whatever, great.

But, if you right click the blank area to the left where the FX chain is listed as separate plugins, and then select Chain Oversampling there, when you select 2x or whatever, press stop and restart, the 2x doesn't appear in the header, it appears in the info area below the FX list. Just wondering why that is. Are the two oversampling options doing different things? One is Track based, the other is Chain based or Container based?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (240.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Hermetech Mastering; 06-09-2024 at 08:23 AM.