Old 06-10-2024, 08:02 AM   #1
jbraner
Human being with feelings

Default SONG: Then There's That

Hi,

I've got a new song out. It's called "Then There's That" - you can check it out here:
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14796486

It features all the usual suspects:
Superior Drums
MODO Bass
Real guitars (mostly my new Paoletti)
various synths and/or Kontakt noises

Made in Reaper, of course

Have a listen if you're interested, and all comments are welcome.
Thanks.
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:29 PM   #2
eq1

Some interesting moments in this one... It's kind of funny - I listen to quite a bit of DIY material, mostly around here, and I think I'm starting to actually like the more raw and 'unrefined' mixes. I'd say yours is pretty much like that.

You might get more mileage out of this composition if you bring the drums out a little more in the mix (mainly kick and snare), maybe add a touch of ambiance on lead guitar, and possibly try to spread the frequency range of instruments out a little wider - right now they seem pretty mid-range focused. I guess in general, yeah, I realize guitar is the focus, but as-is it seems a little too focused, like it needs to blend a little more with other stuff, needs to feel more supported by other instruments. The above suggestions might achieve some of that, I think.

Thanks for posting your work.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM   #3
jbraner

Hi eq1 - thanks a lot for listening and for your comments.
I think there are some good ones there.
I'm never sure how much to bring the drums out. One day the snare is way too loud and annoying and the next day, the exact same snare is OK

There certainly is a guitar focus - but I'll have to think about how to work with that.
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM   #4
JMTee

I liked it, some nice guitar work, and interesting drum time signatures, I like the synth parts as well, great work!
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #5
jbraner

Hi JMTee - well, thanks for taking the time to have a listen!

A lot of the synth parts are Minimal Audio Current - I like this synth.
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #6
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
...I'm never sure how much to bring the drums out. One day the snare is way too loud and annoying and the next day, the exact same snare is OK. There certainly is a guitar focus - but I'll have to think about how to work with that.
I listened again and this time couldn't say that the drums, "mainly kick and snare," needed to come out a little more, exactly. Sometimes they were quite prominent, like in the beginning. In any event, I recorded your stream and made a master FX chain for it (see attached), in Reaper, using just a few stock plugins, like EQ. I think this gets it closer to what I was envisioning the mix needed. Try it out and see if it does anything for you.

In the end it was mainly cutting around 360Hz, a lot between about 1k and 4.5k, and boosting yet somewhat better controlling the low-end. I'm not great with compression and didn't spend too much time with that. I stuck a limiter at the end of chain. There's also a really low frequency synth pad in places, like beginning, that has some serious rumble, and that might not be controlled very well, I didn't bother switching over to headphones that have better low-end (I did these FX mostly with HD650 headphones, briefly tested on some 5" monitors).

If nothing else, this FX chain will give you a different perspective on your mix/master, and should help. It really just beefs it up a little, makes it sound more full and has more power, yet at the same time I'm pretty sure nothing is lost, like detail. Try doing an A-B comparison with your original, flip back and forth... There's things I would do to the mix at the track level that I couldn't achieve with master FX. In general, the main/lead guitar alone probably needs some EQ tweaking, cutting some mids/low-mids. Probably some instrument-level compression and/or volume adjustments with other instruments in places...

edit: Oh yeah, one more thing. I added a volume adjustment at end of chain that should bring the level close to original, so when you compare you just hear mix-differences not volume difference. But, you could turn that off and make it 2.5db louder... Not sure if I had that ON or OFF when I saved the attached chain.

Last edited by eq1; Yesterday at 03:10 PM.
Old Today, 05:49 AM   #7
jbraner

Hi eq1,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to play around with this.
Our listening environments must be very different though - because this mix just doesn't sound very good over here. It's the eq. Over here, there's more bottom, but it's all very muddy and congested.
As soon as I lose the eq plugin, I can hear my space between instruments

Otherwise the other plugins aren't really doing a lot. Well, the limiter is, but I've already run this through a limiter (the very nice "El Juan" by Korneff audio).

So, I don't know what to say, but something is getting lost in translation.
Thanks for your interest though - I like being able to sanity check things
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #8
eq1

hmm, could be monitoring environments. I've checked on HD650s, AKG371s, and 5" Presonus at modest volume. I'm pretty sure the overall tonality and soundstage of your mix is off in the directions my FX try to help. My FX are still too boomy, low mids are a little cluttered, but the general direction clearly seems right to me. Your mix is boxy/mid-rangey, fairly narrow, and the space lacks a certain coherence, like if I compare to reference tracks. Have you compared to reference tracks?

I have a hard time believing that, say, if you did an A-B comparison between your mix and practically any off-the-shelf commercial mix you wouldn't walk away saying, 'My mix lacks low-end, is too mid-rangey, and too narrow.' Of course it's your song/mix and you can do it any way you want. I'm just saying... Might be worth a second look.