Old 12-01-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
todoublez
Human being with feelings

Default Intel i9 9900KS

Anyone has working Reaper with i9 9900KS cpu?
How’s the performance ?

8core Base freq: 4.0Ghz / Boost: 5.0Ghz

I’m planing to get a Hackintosh ,so I can wrk on 2 platforms. (Mac / Win)

I got bad Reaper performance on my previous Mac.
My friend told me it’s becuz of the Cpu.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
nait

Are you trolling? lol

That CPU would be more than enough for Reaper / Music production... of course depending on what else you put in the PC. But that CPU is quite high end. Most people here would be working with less. You'd be hard pressed finding much better to work with than that processor or a Ryzen 9 3900X.

Of course, this is also a little subjective though, as it depends on how complex your projects get as to how much processing power you need, but either way, that CPU would perform quite well. It might be "a hand grenade for an ant-hill" approach to fixing a problem though depending on what you're doing.

I wonder what the rest of your PC looks like too, as there may be good reason to dial back the CPU a bit and use that savings to improve something else, like drive speed or memory, for example.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
Joe90

It depends what you're doing - single core speed is king for audio... once something is routed through something else, it means that it has to be processed serially (almost always on the same core), and extra cores will be little to no help. In most demanding production scenarios you will find one core is always struggling more, and once it starts buckling then it's irrelevant how many extra unused cores you've got.

If you are never using groups/busses, FX on the master bus (or even lots of FX on one track) or busy sends, then it's not as much of an issue. But most people are doing one or ALL of these. Check these links if you want a fuller understanding of this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

http://www.scanproaudio.info/tag/dawbench/

FWIW - I'm using an i9900k overclocked to 4.9Ghz, and it's a beast. It's the most efficient production PC I've ever had the pleasure of using to this day. I run large busy sessions though, with lots of live VSTi's stacked up and running through busses with lots of demanding plug-ins, and stacks of vocals again all running through long and intensive chains, into busses with their own chains. Projects will typically be between 70-150 tracks with a LOT of FX and VSTi's. If you're not doing this then you probably don't need such a powerful processor, and a high core speed i7 would probably do the job.

I'd say just as important though is an audio interface with reliable drivers. I'd recommend RME.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:35 AM   #4
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Are you trolling? lol
sry for let u feeling that way..
no,I'm not trolling,
but I must confess I'm totally noob at digital hardware world.
This is the 1st time I'm building a Hackintosh.
I'm not a technology export so I must ask b4 I bought something wrong even it is obvious or stupid quetion. lol

Quote:
You'd be hard pressed finding much better to work with than that processor or a Ryzen 9 3900X.
yes, AMD very impressed me too, it has high performance, friendly tempature and the price is really affordable if u compare it with 9900ks
,the reason why I didn't pick that one is becuz it's not compatible with Mac system.
I need them work with both system Mac&PC

Quote:
I'd say just as important though is an audio interface with reliable drivers. I'd recommend RME.
Yeah I heard so many ppl recommand me RME, I'll definitly have to give it a shot for sure ! Which series u recommand the most ?

Quote:
I wonder what the rest of your PC looks like too, as there may be good reason to dial back the CPU a bit and use that savings to improve something else, like drive speed or memory, for example.

this is what my previous Mac look like:

CPU - 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
RAM - 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU - AMD FirePro D300 2 GB
DRIVE - 1T SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
single core speed is king for audio... once something is routed through something else, it means that it has to be processed serially (almost always on the same core), and extra cores will be little to no help. In most demanding production scenarios you will find one core is always struggling more, and once it starts buckling then it's irrelevant how many extra unused cores you've got.

If you are never using groups/busses, FX on the master bus (or even lots of FX on one track) or busy sends, then it's not as much of an issue. But most people are doing one or ALL of these. Check these links if you want a fuller understanding of this subject.

Recently I just learned that audio processing is very depanding on single core CPU's performance.
So I tried my best to get a best CPU I can find in the market.
and this is what I found : i9 9900KS. (seemed a lil bit better than the 9900K)

What I'm worried the most is :

I don't really understand how the multi-core processing works in Reaper,
so even I get a SUPERPOWER CPU I wouldn't get a perfect result without knowing how to adjust a perfect configuration at the Reaper preference.

I'm a former PT user, so without changing too much of my workflow, I usually end up working with complex folder layers.
like a subfolder contained many nested folders.
and usually I do heavy processing on the foldrs like a normal buss processing in PT.

these are my main problem.
and I hope someone can guide me lil bit, I would be very appreciated.

Last edited by todoublez; 12-03-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:23 AM   #5
drummerboy

You‘ll be fine.

My Hackintosh with 8700K is flying (Geekbench 4 6000 Single, 30000 Multicore)
drummerboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post
sry for let u feeling that way..
no,I'm not trolling,
but I must confess I'm totally noob at digital hardware world.
This is the 1st time I'm building a Hackintosh.
I'm not a technology export so I must ask b4 I bought something wrong even it is obvious or stupid quetion. lol
No, I apologize.. I thought about it after that maybe you were just very inexperienced with hardware. Nothing wrong with that, and sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable asking questions. I just thought when you asked that maybe you were just messing around, just because you aimed pretty high and then asked if that would do. The answer is definitely a yes, for the majority of musicians out there. But again, it depends on what you do, and also might be a little overkill (but if you're OK with spending that much, maybe that isn't a concern).

But yeah, an i9 is on the high end of CPUs, so you won't be disappointed with that. Single-core or multi-core, that will perform very very well. My projects have never been so complicated as to need that much processing power, but that doesn't mean yours aren't. That CPU should last you a long time too. Upgrading hardware can be a bit of a rabbit hole though...

Because the i9-9900 is a different socket type / chipset than the E5, that means you'll need a new motherboard as well. Your RAM is also DDR3, so there's another upgrade required (RAM isn't too terribly priced though) - to DDR4, and a faster speed. At least you have an SSD drive, so not necessary to upgrade there, but if you had the money, you could consider an nVME SSD to complement that drive... that would be where I'd install the important stuff that needs quick access (OS, for starters, DAW, some VSTs depending on space available). This upgrade is already getting pricey as is though, so you may want to hold off on that. That's always something you can do down the road too, and this wouldn't be the top priority. One more thing, I believe this doesn't come with it's own cooler, so there's another thing to buy. Not sure what pairs best with that CPU though, as I've never had to research that.

When replacing a motherboard and CPU, I always prefer a fresh install of Windows as well. You can do it without it (not something I've done, but it can be done), but I personally think it's a good opportunity to start fresh.. so prepare for that possibility (which means, find your Windows CD/DVD/key). I'm not sure how it works with Mac OS though.

Hopefully this hasn't discouraged you at all from making an upgrade. There's more to it than it sounds, on the surface, but it'll be worth it in the long run. You will be well ahead of the game with that i9-9900KS.

You may also be able to recover a little cost parting out your older PC parts.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-03-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
todoublez

Quote:
No, I apologize.. I thought about it after that maybe you were just very inexperienced with hardware. Nothing wrong with that, and sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable asking questions. I just thought when you asked that maybe you were just messing around, just because you aimed pretty high and then asked if that would do. The answer is definitely a yes, for the majority of musicians out there. But again, it depends on what you do, and also might be a little overkill (but if you're OK with spending that much, maybe that isn't a concern).
Thank u ! I feel much safer. at least the CPU choice isn’t wrong.
Reason why I wanna get a high-end Hackintosh is becuz I’m a lazy guy lol,
I wish I can have a long-lasting computer, at least won’t have to get another
new computer in short term just becuz it’s not powerful enough anymore.

Quote:
Upgrading hardware can be a bit of a rabbit hole though...
Yeah I can smell it, just like upgrading my outboard gears, it never ends.

Quote:
Because the i9-9900 is a different socket type / chipset than the E5, that means you'll need a new motherboard as well. Your RAM is also DDR3, so there's another upgrade required (RAM isn't too terribly priced though) - to DDR4, and a faster speed. At least you have an SSD drive, so not necessary to upgrade there, but if you had the money, you could consider an nVME SSD to complement that drive... that would be where I'd install the important stuff that needs quick access (OS, for starters, DAW, some VSTs depending on space available). This upgrade is already getting pricey as is though, so you may want to hold off on that. That's always something you can do down the road too, and this wouldn't be the top priority. One more thing, I believe this doesn't come with it's own cooler, so there's another thing to buy. Not sure what pairs best with that CPU though, as I've never had to research that.
After research
I chose

Motherboard : Z390
Radeon RX 570 8G VRAM
Cooler : Noctua NH-D15
Case : Fracal Design Define R5

Did some research on the cooler, seeemed 9900ks ‘s temperature is freaking hot.
And I heard rumors saying tat watercooling system has chance to leak?
(never had a watercooling experience anyway..)Can’t let that happen..so I skipped that option.
Seems Noctua isn’t a bad choice though...at least the reviews on internet aren’t bad .

Quote:
Hopefully this hasn't discouraged you at all from making an upgrade. There's more to it than it sounds, on the surface, but it'll be worth it in the long run. You will be well ahead of the game with that i9-9900KS.
No no not at all, as I said, I’m really appreciate yo info!
Lesson learned !
Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
nait

Don't forget you need new RAM too, as mentioned! Outside of that, and the case, which I didn't look at, everything you are considering should work great. You will have a PC to last several years. I always say that, and it seldom seems true, but I am certain you will. I am envious of your set up I have you beat on some parts, but not on the CPU/motherboard.. not by a long shot!

As far as water cooling, I've been working with computers since I was 13 (which would be 32-ish years). I have been oddly intimidated by water cooling and just avoided that. lol That CPU does run hot though, from what I've also heard, so yeah, you want something good for that. Looks like what you picked out is a very good choice of air cooling too.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
nait

I didn't check out the case you picked out, and I kind of glossed over it, but there is some importance in case choice too. Some fans offer better cooling than others.. so I like a case that allows me to install top fans, fans on both sides, and front and back. All your bases covered! And they're not going to break the bank or anything.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:56 AM   #10
todoublez

Quote:
I have you beat on some parts, but not on the CPU/motherboard.. not by a long shot!
Do u have anyother choice of the motherboard ?
Z390 is quite compatible with both platform.
after all i need a motherboard :
can work with both plateform.

High quality
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #11
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post
Do u have anyother choice of the motherboard ?
Z390 is quite compatible with both platform.
after all i need a motherboard :
can work with both plateform.

High quality
To be clear, in case you misunderstood, I was saying that some of the specs on my computer are better than what you have, but your motherboard and CPU are clearly both much better than what I have.

Anyways, a Z390 chipset based motherboard is the right choice. But note too that "Z390" describes the chipset. There are many different Z390 motherboards. Once you've narrowed down socket+chipset (as you have), which motherboard you choose tends to come down to things like: how much you want to spend, form factor (size to match your case size), and generally what components/features you need on it (i.e. expandability, max ram speed and such). Then you have unnecessary cosmetic differences (lighting and look, for example) and there may be overclocking differences (but I don't overclock).

I bought my motherboard quite a bit longer ago, so I have an older chipset (Z270, to be specific) and haven't really been bothered to look at any newer motherboards yet. Plus, my PC is for more than making audio, so I'd prefer to defer your motherboard selection to some other expert in that area. A Z390 chipset is the way to go though, just not sure which of the many Z390 boards you'd want. Some of the more finicky audiophiles here prefer boards that are very stripped down/basic compared to what I personally prefer.

Last edited by nait; 12-04-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
todoublez

Quote:
To be clear, in case you misunderstood, I was saying that some of the specs on my computer are better than what you have, but your motherboard and CPU are clearly both much better than what I have.

Anyways, a Z390 chipset based motherboard is the right choice. But note too that "Z390" describes the chipset. There are many different Z390 motherboards. Once you've narrowed down socket+chipset (as you have), which motherboard you choose tends to come down to things like: how much you want to spend, form factor (size to match your case size), and generally what components/features you need on it (i.e. expandability, max ram speed and such). Then you have unnecessary cosmetic differences (lighting and look, for example) and there may be overclocking differences (but I don't overclock).

I bought my motherboard quite a bit longer ago, so I have an older chipset (Z270, to be specific) and haven't really been bothered to look at any newer motherboards yet. Plus, my PC is for more than making audio, so I'd prefer to defer your motherboard selection to some other expert in that area. A Z390 chipset is the way to go though, just not sure which of the many Z390 boards you'd want. Some of the more finicky audiophiles here prefer boards that are very stripped down/basic compared to what I personally prefer.
thank u so much.
I was misunderstood.
I'm still improving my english skill.

I'm very appreciate yo info !
it really helps !
Old 12-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #13
nait

No problem, happy to help. You are going to have a very nice, high-end PC for music production! All you will need now are the music producing skills to match
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
todoublez

Quote:
No problem, happy to help. You are going to have a very nice, high-end PC for music production! All you will need now are the music producing skills to match
yahhhhhh rock on !!!!