Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
edoubled
Human being with feelings

Default Help! How do I edit a midi file (v 4.731)

I'm new to reaper and unfortunately cannot seem to open up the midi editor suite to program drums for a new midi track with a vst that I downloaded. All of the online tutorials are for previous versions and are all accessed by double clicking on a new track but v 4.731 is different and cannot be just simply opened with a double click.

After getting the manual out I still cannot open the edit screen to program the drums.

These are the instructions that I have tried to follow but still no luck.

12.5 Accessing the MIDI Editor
The MIDI Editor needs to be opened from an existing item. If you wish to open it with a “clean sheet” then you must first create a new empty MIDI item. To do this, select the required track and (optionally) make your time selection to define the length of the item. Then choose Insert, New MIDI Item from the main menu. By default, MIDI items created in this way are loop enabled. You can change this for an individual items within its Media Item Properties dialog box, or globally on the Project, Media Item Defaults page of your Preferences settings. To open the MIDI Editor with a single MIDI item (either already recorded or created empty), you can use either of these methods:

- Unless you have changed your default mouse modifier preferences, double-click on the MIDI item in Arrange view, or (I have tried to change in mouse modifier but can't do it for some reason)

- Select the item and press the default keyboard shortcut Ctrl Alt E, or (this does nothing)

- Right-click on the item and choose Open Items in Editor, then Open Items with
Built-in MIDI Editor from the menu. (when pressing this nothing happens i.e. no editing screen/suite opens up)

This is driving me mad! It's blatantly me being a high level newb which is probably the most frustrating part of it. Can someone help/put me out of my misery.
edoubled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
edkilp

Hi there and welcome aboard. Are you adding a MIDI item to your track? What are you trying to double-click? You must have a MIDI item present before you can edit it in the MIDI editor. I use ctrl-left click-drag to add an item. Or you can use Insert > New MIDI Item. After that, you most definitely should be able to double-click the item and see the MIDI editor.

I've used Reaper for quite some time now, and to my knowledge this has always been the way it works. 4.731 is not different in this respect. What VST are you using for your drums? What happens when you double-click the item?

Hang in there, and you will find the answers you're looking for.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
martifingers

Hi edoubled and welcome. edkilp is spot on and you should get result with that but I guess you could also simply record some MIDI thus creating a MIDI item and then double-click that. Not what you want of course that would at least check that the installation is working.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
edoubled

Hey,

Thanks for the speedy and welcoming response guys

Here is what I have been doing so far and perhaps you can see where I am being a rookie...

Open Reaper
Click insert - New MIDI Item
Click on FX to add the VST
Select VSTi
Select VSTi which just so happens to be GTG DPC 3 (Mikael Sybrandt) - Drum VST
This then brings up the little virtual drum kit
Come out by closing that window
Double click on track
Aaaand then instead of opening the editing interface it opens the media item properties page.

I've even tried right clicking on the track and selecting "open in built-in MIDI editor" - Again nothing!

I am hoping that you're laughing at how much of a newb I've been and can tell me the easy solution to the problem....

Any ideas....?
edoubled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Paul99

You write: "Double click on track".
Try in stead double clicking the created midi item.
Et volia, there is your midi-editor.

If still not working, click right mouse on your midi item, select "Open In Built-In Midi Editor".

Reaper is very user friendly when you remember: always right mouse click or just double click and see what happens!
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
You write: "Double click on track".
Try in stead double clicking the created midi item.
Naw... OP is saying "track" when he means "MIDI item". Otherwise, he wouldn't be getting "open in built-in MIDI editor"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoubled View Post
I've even tried right clicking on the track and selecting "open in built-in MIDI editor" - Again nothing!
When you say "nothing".... you mean, literally, nothing happens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
If still not working, click right mouse on your midi item, select "Open In Built-In Midi Editor".
Something tells me that's not going to work....
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
edkilp

You don't want to add a VSTi from the FX button. You want to right-click in the track area and select Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track. Or Insert>Virtual instrument on new track. After you do that, you can then either record your midi data, or create your midi item. Then it definitely should open in the midi editor.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
You don't want to add a VSTi from the FX button. You want to right-click in the track area and select Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track. Or Insert>Virtual instrument on new track.
Something tells me that's not going to work either.... why would the method of adding a VSTi have any bearing on whether the MIDI editor opens?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Something tells me that's not going to work either.... why would the method of adding a VSTi have any bearing on whether the MIDI editor opens?
Why don't you offer a suggestion instead of shooting down everyone else's attempts to help?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
Why don't you offer a suggestion instead of shooting down everyone else's attempts to help?
Well, that wasn't quite my intention.... for all I know, it might be the case that there really is a known problem with opening the MIDI editor which can be solved by opening a VSTi differently. I would find that very interesting indeed. Hence my question. If you would prefer not to answer it, that's fine.

The reason I haven't offered a suggestion is, I don't have one yet. There is something familiar about the problem, though....
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Fex

Anyway, I'm running v 4.731, and the MIDI editor opens on double click, as it always has, regardless of how the track was created or any VSTs loaded. This leads me to suspect that it's a problem with the specific project, or the installation. My first suggestion, then is to see if the behaviour is consistent across projects. If it is, then my next suggestion is that fairly dramatic but reliable stalwart....

Start menu > All Programs > REAPER > REAPER (reset configuration to factory defaults)