Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
emmpe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Default Spontaneous tempo changes

Hello. I've been playing with Reaper for most of the trial period now, learning by doing, harvesting knowledge from this forum and slowly coming to grips with all the issues a newbie encounters. Great program at a really decent price and with outstanding user support. Nevertheless here's something that I can't figure out for the life of me:
I've downloaded some midi files to have something to practice on. A couple of these turn up in Reaper with bizarre tempo changes added, changes that definitely weren't there before. The files have been edited by me in a notation program, in which no tempo changes occurred anyway. One of them was saved as a project, thoroughly purged from odd stuff, and when reopened there were new changes, twenty in a row, step by step slowing the tune down to almost a halt. What may be the cause of this?
emmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Fex
Human being with feelings
 
Fex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 3,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmpe View Post
I've downloaded some midi files to have something to practice on. A couple of these turn up in Reaper with bizarre tempo changes added, changes that definitely weren't there before.
Can you post a link, so we can replicate your results?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
emmpe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Default

I'm afraid I don't easily recall where I found the file, but I can upload it if that's all right. I suppose you want the original midi file and this one is the worst instance.
Attached Files
File Type: mid AfterTheBattleOfAughrim.mid (24.1 KB, 42 views)
emmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Fex
Human being with feelings
 
Fex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 3,370
Default

I haven't found anything wrong with that file. There's one tempo marker, setting the tempo to 220 BPM from 1.1.00, and the track does play consistently at that tempo throughout. Did you experience problems with this before you started editing?

Can we get a look at a suspect project?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
emmpe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Default

I donīt remember having any problems (except what to do with the song per se, but thatīs another story). The issue arised when I put it into Reaper. Reloading the project this morning I couldnīt reproduce the issue, so hereīs the very first version, with just the basic edited file inserted and a VSTi for sound. That's how the project was started. The tempo changes are there sure enough though it should be 190 BPM from beginning to end. For completeness I attach the edited midi file as well. Nothing strange in that one either, as far as I can see.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Aughrim1.RPP (194.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: mid Aughrim1.mid (31.5 KB, 42 views)
emmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
Fex
Human being with feelings
 
Fex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 3,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmpe View Post
For completeness I attach the edited midi file as well. Nothing strange in that one either, as far as I can see.
In fact, both the edited MIDI file and the project have thirty or so tempo markers from position 78.3.333799. I presume that removing them would solve any problem.

As for how they got there.... I guess the main suspect has to be the notation program you're using (the MIDI file is annoted as "Generated by NoteWorthy Compose"), but the evaluation version doesn't allow saving, so I can't test this. Maybe it's inserting some code which REAPER then interprets as tempo data?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
emmpe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Default

This is funny. It never happened in Cubase, in the days when I had access to it. As for NWC, if it's the culprit it doesn't do it every time, and the tempo markers in this file don't show. Oh well, as you say, removing the markers solves it, and it's no big deal anyway. Just curious. Thanks a lot for your time and interest.
emmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.