Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
kero
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper update problem with internal mic

I updated Reaper today,
I can't record anymore.

If I click the default system device, then the internal mic doesn't work, the mic only works when its clicked on to internal mic, but then theres no output, coz only one can be ticked.

the only way it will work is if I have the legacy option (not recommended)

what should I do please!?

should I re install Reaper?
It works fine on my other laptop, with identical settings, but not an updated Reaper!

I am on mac. its been fine till I updated Reaper to version 5.22

*UPDATE, I downloaded version 5.111 32 bit, works fine, there must be a problem with 5.22

Last edited by kero; 07-31-2016 at 04:12 PM.
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:28 AM   #2
kero

HAS THIS BUG BEEN REPORTED?
Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 AM   #3
cyrano

For a bug report, you need some data. Nobody will report this "bug", without knowing at least:

- OSX version. I'm on Mavericks 10.9.5
- Reaper version. I'm on v5.22/64 build 582373 (july 14 2016)
- Audio device used: internal audio/built-in mic.

And I can confirm your "bug". Reaper records, but there's no input, despite the meters showing input. Strange.

However: here's a fix:

Click on routing. Select an output device. I selected "spare 1 and 2", just as test. And Reaper records fine now.

I don't consider this a bug, it's probably more of an upgrade problem. I didn't check if it also happens with a new project, which is, in general, the first thing you should check if you encounter a problem. Projects do corrupt, in rare cases.

If you can't fix the problem, it can be interesting to attach the project file (not the media!) here. It's a text file that shows us what you're using and could shed some light.

EDIT: As I presumed, doesn't happen with a new project...
Old 08-01-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
kero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
For a bug report, you need some data. Nobody will report this "bug", without knowing at least:

- OSX version. I'm on Mavericks 10.9.5
- Reaper version. I'm on v5.22/64 build 582373 (july 14 2016)
- Audio device used: internal audio/built-in mic.

And I can confirm your "bug". Reaper records, but there's no input, despite the meters showing input. Strange.

However: here's a fix:

Click on routing. Select an output device. I selected "spare 1 and 2", just as test. And Reaper records fine now.

I don't consider this a bug, it's probably more of an upgrade problem. I didn't check if it also happens with a new project, which is, in general, the first thing you should check if you encounter a problem. Projects do corrupt, in rare cases.

If you can't fix the problem, it can be interesting to attach the project file (not the media!) here. It's a text file that shows us what you're using and could shed some light.

EDIT: As I presumed, doesn't happen with a new project...
Thanks cyrano, it doesn't work with a new project, same problem
1. where is routing?

Last edited by kero; 08-01-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

We changed the behavior of <default audio device> handling in 5.2, where it will not default to using differing input and output devices automatically.

The best thing to do here is to create an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup (which includes your built-in output and built-in microphone), and set REAPER to use that device.

If you prefer not to create an aggregate device, you can enable the option "use separate input and output devices" and select them in REAPER, but the aggregate device option will give you the best performance.

See also: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177035
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
kero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
We changed the behavior of <default audio device> handling in 5.2, where it will not default to using differing input and output devices automatically.

The best thing to do here is to create an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup (which includes your built-in output and built-in microphone), and set REAPER to use that device.

If you prefer not to create an aggregate device, you can enable the option "use separate input and output devices" and select them in REAPER, but the aggregate device option will give you the best performance.

See also: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177035
Many thanks Justin,
I was baffled, I know I am a rare case that uses the built in mic!
Cheers