Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #41
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

- I thought I fixed the shadows. Maybe I just did the MCP.

- Yeah, that's the only way to make the meter backgrounds disappear - the meter has to be at least 13 pixels wide.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #42
James HE

Question:

What needs to be removed / changed to regain the Media item tinting set in preferences?

I had an odd setup 4 v4 which I liked - all my old projects have but ugly media now.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #43
James HE

looks like tinittcp is a bitmask of all these preferences.

anyone have a link to the definitions?
Old 08-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #44
ReaperMadness

This?

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #45
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
not that. this doesn't seem to be documented well, if at all.

you can load a v4 theme, make changes to the tinting options. open the reaper ini, look for the tinttcp entry, and copy the variable...

except there is another factor at play here that gives an unexpected result...
more on that later.
haven't quite figured out what white tie did to screw this up yet.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #46
James HE

You have to comment out, or delete "version 5" in the config file in order to have the tint strength options in preferences do anything - weather you comment out 'tinttcp' - or try to set it.

So basically I have to give up the very nice looking tcp coloring in order to have my media items set as I want them.

My need here is to have only selected media items tinted

This is impossible in V5 - (unless please, someone point me to the information showing me the magic numbers needed for 'tinttcp'.

I really want to curse White Tie right now, perhaps mumble some terrible things, but... I know how it is. lot's of limitations, I'm sure he just made the compromise he needed to make...

this %^&*ing stinks....
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #47
Lokasenna

I don't think White Tie's the one at fault, he just made the theme with the tools available. That said, the lack of documentation for tinttcp and peaksedges has been a big complaint since the prerelease versions.

Both of them are using binary to represent a bunch of the checkboxes in Preferences, and then converting it to an integer in the file. One user, whose English is unfortunately not the best, was able to figure out this much: http://forums.cockos.com/showpost.ph...58&postcount=9
Old 08-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #48
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I don't think White Tie's the one at fault, he just made the theme with the tools available. That said, the lack of documentation for tinttcp and peaksedges has been a big complaint since the prerelease versions.

Both of them are using binary to represent a bunch of the checkboxes in Preferences, and then converting it to an integer in the file. One user, whose English is unfortunately not the best, was able to figure out this much: http://forums.cockos.com/showpost.ph...58&postcount=9
I figured all that out already, I'm a trim carpenter, sometimes you just have to carry your board over to the wall you're going to nail it on, set it in place and mark it with a pencil - no measurements or math needed.

In your nit-picky theme, you'll notice that the tint strength does nothing.

Tint strength for item backgrounds is ignored if "version 5" is in that first line in the config file... and that's pretty much the end of the story.

*well actually, no - the story continues because I'm making my own item bg's in order to get the tint strengths I want. Really this is fine - just a bit salty that none of this is explained in any reasonable manner and it took me some number of hours just to come to the realization I have to edit an image...

Last edited by James HE; 08-25-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #49
sostenuto

Hang in there, James! As usual, many will benefit from the intellect and hard work of a select few. I know Lokasenna, you and others will sort this in fairly short order.

Appreciate the contribution.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #50
SmajjL

Yes, I knew about this new alpha through my forum lurking some time ago and then through experimenting but yes, I still think all this and all the new stuff needs to be easy4all, atleast information4all and easy2find4all and I would like to know specifics about the tinting numbers without breaking my back.

SmajjL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #51
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Hang in there, James!
I always do.

the new tinting setup is better than it's ever been. all i'm trying to do is to have it work like the old sonic foundry vegas! ( I seriously can't understand how you folks tell what is selected in v5! )

In V4 had to really hack it together via tinting options and adjusting the background fill mode, only to get 50% there.

After figuring out what is actually going on in v5, I feel like I'm 90% there.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #52
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
and I would like to know specifics about the tinting numbers without breaking my back.
just comment them out, use the preferences. But just realize that tint strength is ignored in the version 5 tinting.

If you are creating a theme that you want to share, and have the sadistic tendency of wanting to limit the user's options, ( ) You can load up a v4 theme, make the right settings, open up the reaper ini and just use the tinttcp value you see there. This is, for me at least, quicker than doing some bitshifting - even if I did know which preferences comprise which bit.

All those preferences work as they did before - except for the strength.

The tint strength is now simply determined via the alpha of your images. So if you want unselected items to have no tint, as any logical person should, you just need to make an item_bg.png that is %100 opaque.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #53
SmajjL

Removing/renaming the two item_bg's so Reaper don't find or use 'em and then using the old way should work even if you are using version 5 line in the.rtconfig and if you still want the new color thing on the tracks and stuff, and in the tweaker, the option (media item background) is not grayed out, so we can use it if we want.

Edit: heh yes, seems to me that you have figured most out already sorry you had to wrestle to get there, everything is so *beep* 'obvious easy' when you know stuff yes, as they say.

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-26-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Shit!! forgot my smiley!! omgomgomg!! :)
SmajjL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #54
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
I always do.

the new tinting setup is better than it's ever been. all i'm trying to do is to have it work like the old sonic foundry vegas! ( I seriously can't understand how you folks tell what is selected in v5! )
My tracks get auto-colored as soon as I name them, which makes selected items REALLY obvious.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #55
The Telenator
Banned

No offense intended to any/all responsible for this final v5 appearance, but this (look at track 3 below) is just a very non-pro-looking, disorganized mess. Surely, you GUI wizards can do something to make this look like a serious DAW track panel. Reminds me of Sesame Street's Which of These Things Go Together -- the answer here looks like "none".

Messy Track Panel v5.png
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #56
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
just comment them out, use the preferences. But just realize that tint strength is ignored in the version 5 tinting.

If you are creating a theme that you want to share, and have the sadistic tendency of wanting to limit the user's options, ( ) You can load up a v4 theme, make the right settings, open up the reaper ini and just use the tinttcp value you see there. This is, for me at least, quicker than doing some bitshifting - even if I did know which preferences comprise which bit.

All those preferences work as they did before - except for the strength.

The tint strength is now simply determined via the alpha of your images. So if you want unselected items to have no tint, as any logical person should, you just need to make an item_bg.png that is %100 opaque.
Is it possible to have transparent item when selected? In V4 I've set my grid settings to be under item so when I select item the grid is visible,now I can't do that (not sure if not possible or some hacking is needed),the only way is to lower the track blend but then grid is always visible thru items
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #57
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
No offense intended to any/all responsible for this final v5 appearance, but this (look at track 3 below) is just a very non-pro-looking, disorganized mess. Surely, you GUI wizards can do something to make this look like a serious DAW track panel. Reminds me of Sesame Street's Which of These Things Go Together -- the answer here looks like "none".

Attachment 25229
Right-click on the track and look for the word "Layout" - there are a bunch of different ones, with various sizes, showing various amounts of controls.

I agree that the whole "just keep spilling things over to the next line" thing is a bit ugly, but do you have any specific complaints?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #58
AVboy

This is relevant:

http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...dit_def_5.html
AVboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #59
TheWhistler

Thank you Lokasenna. I like the tinting options to be available.
I am not a themeing guy (I am glad, I have the time for making music)
But I have a question / request / suggestion.

I have a 2 monitor setup. My main display is a 27" and I have an old 19" in 4:3 for the mixer.
So everything is fine until the 3rd mixer row is introduced -> everything looks cluttered then.
So my question: Is it a lot of hassle to limit the mixer to TWO rows?

BTW: This is something that is bit annoying in almost any theme.
Fixed rows, hence one row and a lot of display waste.
Or many rows, no control and sometimes (more than 36 channels) clutter.

Thank´s for thinkin about and greetz

Whistler

Last edited by TheWhistler; 08-31-2015 at 02:30 AM.
TheWhistler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:14 AM   #60
Lokasenna

I'll look into it, but I'm pretty sure it's either one row or however many rows Reaper wants to make.

If you Ctrl+Drag a track to make it taller, can you get the mixer down to two rows and then save it as a screenset or something?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #61
TheWhistler

Quote:
I'll look into it, but I'm pretty sure it's either one row or however many rows Reaper wants to make.
Thank you for getting your head around this.

Quote:
If you Ctrl+Drag a track to make it taller, can you get the mixer down to two rows and then save it as a screenset or something?
I know that. But when you have 3 rows of channels, the space for fx (see insert + send on channel 21) ist very limited, especially when using bigger fx-chains.

What really would be cool, if one could strech the channels bigger to have only 2 rows. Two rows is my personal favorite.

And again, thank you, even if I am a bit nitpicky
Old 08-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #62
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Right-click on the track and look for the word "Layout" - there are a bunch of different ones, with various sizes, showing various amounts of controls.

I agree that the whole "just keep spilling things over to the next line" thing is a bit ugly, but do you have any specific complaints?
Layouts: yes, I'm quite familiar with the options. Nice to have so many choices, but I usually find better ones in the user-built skins. Note, just for example, that the new Default has no 'long name' options. Most of the options that are listed in 5 are ones I rarely ever use.

Specific complaints? I went into much more detail in the other thread, so I won't repeat it all here. I pointed out that, for example, Default 5 carries over the 3-D look of the pan knobs and a couple of other items; meanwhile, the newer feature designs right next to these have gone with the newer and trendy 'flat' look. It's a clash of styles and comes off looking like it was done by an amateur. And no point in starting in with the creampuff pastel colouring book look I and others have mentioned before.

I've now seen plenty of discussion about the Default 5 look, and there is clearly a significant number of us who think it needs real improvement.

Rather than post pic after pic of other skins, just take a few minutes to load and compare Default to Commala 4 Default, Commala 5 Light, the latest Janne themes, MK Fusion, and even go back to the older RADO -- Darko, 4, etc. REAPER should have used perhaps the Commala to look more pro and substantial than the current Default 5. The default look is somewhat 'toyish' and non-professional in appearance and doesn't do REAPER justice.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #63
Lokasenna

I agree with most of that, but fixing all of it is a huge amount of work for what would, in the end, be pretty much a brand new theme - well outside the scope of what I intended for Nitpicky. If you dislike SO much of the Default theme, why use it at all?

Overall, I happen to like the look of the V5 theme. There are just a number of little things, like the invisible automation button, that seem like a huge step backward for functionality and customization. That's what I'm trying to fix here.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #64
sostenuto

Where else to post this .....

Trying to put these comments to find where Pro X-tools Gold ED V2.0.5 fits ...
Respect their Theme Thread and no desire to create irritation. I made a contrib to see what it's all about. Now as undecided as ever.

Have latest Commala 5 Light, Nitpicky, and WT Imperial as my choices to work from.

Help guys! What are key points to focus on ... thru YOUR eyes & workflow

Last edited by sostenuto; 09-01-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #65
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
I agree with most of that, but fixing all of it is a huge amount of work for what would, in the end, be pretty much a brand new theme - well outside the scope of what I intended for Nitpicky. If you dislike SO much of the Default theme, why use it at all?

Overall, I happen to like the look of the V5 theme. There are just a number of little things, like the invisible automation button, that seem like a huge step backward for functionality and customization. That's what I'm trying to fix here.
I know enough about GUI design to say that the changes I'm suggesting would not be that much work at all.

I don't use the Default theme at all, since there are several user-created themes I like so much better. Sticking almost exclusively with the two Commalas I listed above. In fact, I think the wisest move might just be to 'buy' one of these more formidable themes from the maker for a reasonable price and have done with it.

Here's the thing and my entire reason for critiquing the Default 5 in the first place (as covered in great detail in the other Default 5 Theme thread): I'm concerned that any total DAW newb or some potential defector from another DAW is going to take this 'out of the box', not knowing that the appearance can be greatly changed / improved, will look at some of the plainly visible incongruences, see the starter pastel-soft look, and think, 'Yo, this is some kind of toy'. Compare REAPER to other current GUIs: look, I'm not crazy about the stock appearance of some of the other DAWs available, but I will say that most of them -- again -- right 'out of the box' look like serious kick-butt productions. I don't even like FL or DP 8 as DAWs, but I must admit they look pretty damn cool and heavy-duty.

I'd hate for someone new to REAPER to pass her up, based at least in part because the Default look just doesn't convey the same ball-busting default look.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:20 AM   #66
Lokasenna

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/v5img/ss.png

Looks fairly professional to me.

Re: the specific things you mentioned in your previous post:

- The pan knobs are only a little more 3D than the buttons below them (notice that the buttons have gradients and shadows too). In fact, nothing in the UI is actually "flat". To me, the faders and the monitoring button are the only elements that really stick out in that sense.

- Um... pastel colouring? I have no idea what you're talking about, seriously. The V5 meters are yucky, we all know that, but items and tracks look pretty decent. I'd like to include alternative TCP/MCP panels in Nitpicky where the main panel doesn't get colored, but it would make the layout menu absolutely gigantic unless I scrap the colored panels entirely.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 09-02-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #67
+NRG

Quote:
I agree... I'm really digging the Default V5 theme and the ability to customize it to my liking (rearrange / remove elements and make small tweaks to the images and colors). I've used just about every theme out there but keep coming back to the Default V5 theme. It's just easier on the eyes for me and cleaner / clearer than any other I've used. The flatter appearance of the background elements and the more pronounced appearance of the more important elements works for me. I like that the faders jump out and the knobs and buttons have a little shadow / depth. Heck, I even like the green meters (but even happier now to have control over them).

*I downloaded your Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition and loved most of the changes you've made! So much so, that I decided to start over (tweaking the Default V5 theme to my preferences) using your theme as the starting point.

Good job and many thanks to you and anyone who helped!!!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:52 AM   #68
Marcostenik

How can I change wmetter colour in preference?
Marcostenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #69
bobobo

Press ?
(or 'show action list' in Actions menu)
search for "theme con"
doubleklick on "Theme Development: Show theme tweak/configuration window"

and there you have to find the setting for coloring the vu meters

Set VU meter top middle bottom . it will take effect when changed.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 AM   #70
Marcostenik

Thankyou
Marcostenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #71
BobF

Thanks for doing this, Lokasenna. For me, the V5 default is the first theme I didn't want to immediately find a replacement for.

Your tweaks are making it even better. Bravo.

One small request. Please put the date with the version info in the top post. This makes it really easy to see if there is something new.

Thanks again.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #72
Lokasenna

Done.

If you're a good boy, I might have a small update later tonight.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #73
BobF

Quote:
Done.

If you're a good boy, I might have a small update later tonight.
Awesome. I'll let you know what she says ...
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:13 AM   #74
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Awesome. I'll let you know what she says ...
Nevermind, you weren't good enough. This afternoon then.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #75
sostenuto

"Tick tock ...tick tock" ___ Hannibal Leckter
Old 09-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #76
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
"Tick tock ...tick tock" ___ Hannibal Leckter
It uploads a new version of its theme, or else it gets the hose again?

v4 is now up. Nothing huge, but the new minimal TCP layout lets me do this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l%20layout.png, which I thought was pretty sexy.

I'm still not happy with the MIDI editor, mostly because the color scheme looks like Ableton Live, but at least it matches the arrange view now. Suggestions are welcome.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #77
sostenuto

Lookin' good! Dang nice Theme now and lots of work to gain Nitpicky improvements .........
Old 09-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #78
Kooljohn74

Nice work. Loving this tweak.
Kooljohn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #79
JHughes
Banned

Hello Lokasenna,

I have a nitpick for your consideration: In dual pan mode, the left channel is red and the right is green. I believe it should be the opposite.

This has been talked about elsewhere but, no matter the explanation, it still strikes me as wrong.

Thanks for the theme.

PS Nitpick 2 What does it take to change the "Phase" button to read Polarity?
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #80
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post

I have a nitpick for your consideration: In dual pan mode, the left channel is red and the right is green. I believe it should be the opposite.

nope. its port = left = red and starboard = right = green.

[/know-it-better-modus off]
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote