Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
sammydix
Human being with feelings

Default Dreamin of the Past

Another song collaboration with my Australian buddy Peter Bowen. He's entering this one in an Australian songwriter competition. Hope we have a chance. At least the song itself is great despite my mix.

Peter Bowen: Composer, vocals, guitar, bass
Me: added samples and mix.

https://app.box.com/s/jad11r5xqoix6vbb3ucyuwcf9obi6nxy
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
mschuster

Pretty song. Liked it. Nice arrangement! Nice mix! Good luck to him in the contest!
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
benf

Makes me think of Simon and Garfunkel. I like very much the ambiance. I've been a little disturbed with the voice at the beginning, and the very dry bass sound. Needs a little bit time to habituate. After that, everything seems ok. Very nice work. Congratulations to both.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post
Pretty song. Liked it. Nice arrangement! Nice mix! Good luck to him in the contest!
Thanks for the well wish. If Peter's not at least in the "top ten," I'd sure like the hear what was. He's gonna keep me posted on the results, but it's months off yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Makes me think of Simon and Garfunkel. I like very much the ambiance. I've been a little disturbed with the voice at the beginning, and the very dry bass sound. Needs a little bit time to habituate. After that, everything seems ok. Very nice work. Congratulations to both.
I never put verb on the bass except maybe a bit of "room," which is about the only type reverb I like, well, plates are nice within reason. Maybe I can try a tiny, tiny amount in future mixes, or perhaps a bit of delay. I was trying to emulate that dry-ish J. Taylor Sweet Baby James or N. Young Harvest sound which prob sound a bit weird in this age.

Last edited by sammydix; 06-02-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
Dream Of Sleeping

The song is decent enough if a bit forgettable but I was very impressed with the production and instrumention. Everything blends very nicely and comes in at just the right time and plays just the right thing! I'm actually working on a similar song at the moment so you've given me some ideas.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
The song is decent enough if a bit forgettable but I was very impressed with the production and instrumention. Everything blends very nicely and comes in at just the right time and plays just the right thing! I'm actually working on a similar song at the moment so you've given me some ideas.
Peter sort of allows me to be his "arranger/mixer/'producer'" on the songs we do together. Then I check in with him for suggested changes or anything. I like that because with each song, I get to try something a little different mix-wise, and I think it helps me become just a little bit better. Of course, that happens with every mix, his or or my own. But because he's more acoustic oriented, you can't "hide" anything, so I'm forced to mix the elements just a little bit better, and that translates over to other general mixes.

Glad to be a bit of an inspiration for your next tune. I'll be watching for it.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
sammydix

Added a tiny bit more room verb to the whole. Same link.