Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default A touch of 80s

Got to playing with the U-he free synths, mainly Zebralette, and came up with this. Everything's me screwing around except for one short guitar loop near the end.
Couldn't stand not having monitor, so I got a pair of cheap Mackies (CR3s)to tide me over until I can do better.
Forgot to mention the Drums were AD2 "Reel Drums."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78brkhamdh...rverM.wav?dl=0

Last edited by sammydix; 02-02-2019 at 07:08 AM.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Cranky Emu
Human being with feelings
 
Cranky Emu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
Got to playing with the U-he free synths, mainly Zebralette, and came up with this. Everything's me screwing around except for one short guitar loop near the end.
Couldn't stand not having monitor, so I got a pair of cheap Mackies (CR3s)to tide me over until I can do better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78brkhamdh...rverM.wav?dl=0
That's pretty cool
__________________
► C. Emu ◄
♪ DAW: Reaper/Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
Cranky Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
azimuth
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle
Posts: 178
Default

I was expecting to see MJ walking on some light up blocks when that opening synth bassline started. That's bad ass Sammy but it would slam hard with some Nile Rodgers style funkiness thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by azimuth; 02-02-2019 at 05:41 AM.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #4
smueske
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default

This is really cool, Sammy! I had a bit of a Mr. Roboto flashback, but I got over it. This is very unique and fun. Great sound and textures! I'm thinking you might want to do something a little stranger with the background vocals. Flanger? Vocoder? A modulated reverb?
__________________
Steve
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
That's pretty cool
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
I was expecting to see MJ walking on some light up blocks when that opening synth bassline started. That's bad ass Sammy but it would slam hard with some Nile Rodgers style funkiness thrown in for good measure.
Homage. The strings on my guitar were a cruddy while recording this, thus the 99% synths and the guitar loop. I've ordered a "3-pack" set from Amazon, so I suspect my next song to be the complete opposite of this one so I can break in the new strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
This is really cool, Sammy! I had a bit of a Mr. Roboto flashback, but I got over it. This is very unique and fun. Great sound and textures! I'm thinking you might want to do something a little stranger with the background vocals. Flanger? Vocoder? A modulated reverb?
Sorry about Roboto! Actually I have a flanger, phaser, and short delays on them. I just used them too lightly. I've never done the exaggerated modulation on reverb, gonna experiment with that, then you'll be sorry to see what you started, mwhahaha.
Thanks guy.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Barksy
Human being with feelings
 
Barksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Colah, Sydney, Australia
Posts: 430
Default

Not what I was expecting from you, but yeah, that was pretty cool!
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Jorgen
Human being with feelings
 
Jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 5,109
Default

This is really well done. Finished track. Playful, creative arrangement and production. Original song?

Regarding monitors -- I picked up a pair of Audio Technica phones for less than 60 bucks and they totally smoked my 20 years old AKGs. Had to make changes on the material I've been working on lately, mainly taming excessive high end. These new ones are tight with very good separation. Your track sounds great.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Cranky Emu
Human being with feelings
 
Cranky Emu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
Mackies (CR3s)
Just on the Mackies what do you think of them.
__________________
► C. Emu ◄
♪ DAW: Reaper/Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
Cranky Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksy View Post
Not what I was expecting from you, but yeah, that was pretty cool!
Gotta try something different now and then. Thanks Barksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
This is really well done. Finished track. Playful, creative arrangement and production. Original song?

Regarding monitors -- I picked up a pair of Audio Technica phones for less than 60 bucks and they totally smoked my 20 years old AKGs. Had to make changes on the material I've been working on lately, mainly taming excessive high end. These new ones are tight with very good separation. Your track sounds great.
Yes, original. I was messing around with the bass midi, then started singing melodies around it. Then just filled in the rest.
Those TEchnicas prob have a decent range. I'm just glad to be able to bounce back and forth again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
Just on the Mackies what do you think of them.
hah!
They're decent. Definitely not "flat" but they're extremely clean and clear, surprisingly so. But stress: definitely not flat. Also, they're 50watts, so they can get pretty damned loud. You most def need a sub, though.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
Timothy Lawler
Human being with feelings
 
Timothy Lawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,463
Default

Fine singing. The layering of the vocal parts gives a very expressive effect. Good mix balance.


Looping it, I enjoyed playing guitar lines along with this. E minor is a beautiful thing when it's done well, like here.
__________________
Website
Youtube page
Timothy Lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Fine singing. The layering of the vocal parts gives a very expressive effect. Good mix balance.


Looping it, I enjoyed playing guitar lines along with this. E minor is a beautiful thing when it's done well, like here.
Send me those lines and I'll put 'em in.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:19 AM   #12
ReaDave
Human being with feelings
 
ReaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Posts: 5,374
Default

Nice one! This is pretty cool. Peter Gabriel meets Kraftwerk.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:07 AM   #13
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,501
Default

Nice!
Great work on the harmonies! Love it!
~2:50 there was a guitar? (funky picking), I would used more of.
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 16GB, Focurite 18i8, Schecter Telecaster, Fender Japan Squire Stratocaster, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #14
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Nice one! This is pretty cool. Peter Gabriel meets Kraftwerk.
I pulled from all over the place on this one, and Kraftwerk was definitely in mind with the drums. But I didn't think of Gabriel...until now, and I hear him in some of the melodies, esp the chorus with "Videos, press, and clubs where you make the rounds...". Thanks RDave.

Last edited by sammydix; 02-03-2019 at 07:49 AM.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #15
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Nice!
Great work on the harmonies! Love it!
~2:50 there was a guitar? (funky picking), I would used more of.
Yeah, definitely guitar light on this one. I think I'll have to make up for it.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #16
camerondye
Human being with feelings
 
camerondye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,263
Default

It's got a creepy vibe to it, you rock Sammy...very different than your past outings. I would have liked some other instruments but still liked it.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #17
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default Hey Cam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
It's got a creepy vibe to it, you rock Sammy...very different than your past outings. I would have liked some other instruments but still liked it.
What else might you have added?
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
Sambo Rouge
Human being with feelings
 
Sambo Rouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
What else might you have added?


How about a kazoo and a triangle? ---- Just kidding.

Nice mix and arrangement Sammy. Love the vocal harmonies.

I hear all the work you've done ---- respect.
__________________
BREXIT SCHMEXIT !!
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #19
Dimaension X
Human being with feelings
 
Dimaension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 861
Default

It does kind of has a Peter Gabriel/David Bowie vibe to it. I'm waiting for the Robert Fripp atonal solo to kick in, kind of like in Bowie's "Scary Monsters". I'm loving the synths, so I'll have to check out U-he VSTs.

This style seems to be making it's way back, and I like it. So now you have to do the clay-mation video to go with it and post it on the YouTube!
__________________
ThanX, Dimaension X
Dimaension X At YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCP...hp2XlawPUHmH-w
Free music downloads available in Contact Info
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #20
sammydix
Human being with feelings
 
sammydix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
How about a kazoo and a triangle? ---- Just kidding.

Nice mix and arrangement Sammy. Love the vocal harmonies.

I hear all the work you've done ---- respect.
Don't give me any ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
It does kind of has a Peter Gabriel/David Bowie vibe to it. I'm waiting for the Robert Fripp atonal solo to kick in, kind of like in Bowie's "Scary Monsters". I'm loving the synths, so I'll have to check out U-he VSTs.

This style seems to be making it's way back, and I like it. So now you have to do the clay-mation video to go with it and post it on the YouTube!
Scary Monsters is prob my top favorite Bowie CD, so that was really cool to hear.
The U-he's I have are Tyrell, Zebralette, Triple Cheese, and Ace--the only paid one, but I tend to use Zebralette more. I like the sounds and they're simple enough for me to use. Other synths sort of overwhelm me. The only "sound designing" I do is with a base preset with all their fx turned off, then I use my own instead (chor, verb, saturation, delay, etc).
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.