Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
Unleash The Fury
Human being with feelings

Default How to punch in on same track without overwriting?

hey all im in a situation where my metal band is currently recording in the studio and our other guitarist quit yesterday! (i am the other guitarist).

long story short the engineer wants me to send him a DI track stem so he can re-amp it later. Ive never done this before and its a headache trying to learn about everything in a week.

I have a focusrite solo, and i already know basics about recording, i know how to mic an amp and record that into reaper and such.

Since I am human and mess up somewhere along the entire 5 minute song I am going to punch in each part. I want to do this all on one track, I dont want 5 different tracks just for one guitar.

TL;DR

My question is, how do i set it up so that I hit the record button, and it starts playing the previous several seconds so that I can come in on time with where I set the new recording to start without over-writing those first few seconds? I cannot set the track to record those several seconds sooner because it would then overwrite the tail end of that last section. I hope this makes sense!

Thanks for your help. I have to meet this deadline so I can send this stem in!
Unleash The Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi.
As usual Kenny's videos on the subject are definitive:
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#I1Il-LhyMs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjb8G6jnkUo

This recent thread also covers this issue I think. Serr in particular has a different view about how best to approach the technique and he is always worth paying attention to.

Good luck with the deadline.

Last edited by martifingers; 02-13-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Dissed Kenny by not using upper case for his name!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
martifingers

Whoops! I forgot the link to the forum thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216879
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

It won't overwrite anything unless you've changed settings to do so. It'll split the audio item where you start recording and a take to the item you recorded over. You can then adjust that split point and even crossfade in order to get a good smooth transition. Don't bother with punch in or preroll or any of that nonsense. Just record it (including the extra measure or so at either end) and then fix the transition points.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Unleash The Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Whoops! I forgot the link to the forum thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216879
Thanks for trying to help....I think you did but indirectly. I think "pre-roll is the word i was looking for! Now i can research pre-roll and see if that was it. Because it sounds like it.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Unleash The Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
It won't overwrite anything unless you've changed settings to do so. It'll split the audio item where you start recording and a take to the item you recorded over. You can then adjust that split point and even crossfade in order to get a good smooth transition. Don't bother with punch in or preroll or any of that nonsense. Just record it (including the extra measure or so at either end) and then fix the transition points.
This sounds easy enough thanks. But why is preroll nonsense?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Coachz

I use actions to set me up for punching time and item selections. I create a time selection and run the Punch in Time Selection action or just run the Punch in Item Selection for items. I made toolbar buttons to make it easy to pick.

Custom: Punch in Time Selection
Go to start of loop
SWS/BR: Save edit cursor position, slot 01
Time selection: Set start point
Go to end of loop
Time selection: Set end point
Go to end of time selection
Move edit cursor forward one beat
Loop points: Set end point
SWS/BR: Restore edit cursor position, slot 01
Move edit cursor back one measure
Loop points: Set start point
SWS: Set transport repeat state
Record: Set record mode to time selection auto-punch

Custom: Punch in Item Selection
Time selection: Set time selection to items
Loop points: Set loop points to items
Go to start of loop
SWS/BR: Save edit cursor position, slot 01
Time selection: Set start point
Go to end of loop
Time selection: Set end point
Go to end of time selection
Move edit cursor forward one beat
Loop points: Set end point
SWS/BR: Restore edit cursor position, slot 01
Move edit cursor back one measure
Loop points: Set start point
SWS: Set transport repeat state
Record: Set record mode to selected item auto-punch
Old 02-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
serr

Just in case you didn't consider it:

You can "punch" DAW style. Just slice out the parts you want to redo. Record new takes at will into a new track. Edit those bits into the final keeper track as you get them. Using a track as a "recording bin" and sliding keeper parts into a "final arrangement" track is straightforward. You can plop the play head down however soon before the bit you're trying to get for a "pre roll". There aren't limited tracks here like with a tape deck. You don't need to set a "pre roll" and set the punch in/out edit points and do all that on the fly while trying to record the part anymore.

If you specifically WANT the analog workflow experience, those features are available. Some people like that. Some old analog guys will argue that they like the restrictions for creativity and finality of the decision making. If you want that, carry on and you'll get lots of advice and tips.

But if you just want to record and end up with good takes to comp together, you can just record DAW style and leave 'punch' features to the past.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleash The Fury View Post
But why is preroll nonsense?
Because preroll is the same as just hitting record a little earlier. If you actually care about the result, you're still going to adjust the transitions.

If you go over the same section multiple times (more than twice), be careful to start and stop recording at the same time. Maybe create a time selection and loop it, but don't bother with the autopunch stuff. Just hit record at a sensible point.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
JeffreyET

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Because preroll is the same as just hitting record a little earlier. If you actually care about the result, you're still going to adjust the transitions.

If you go over the same section multiple times (more than twice), be careful to start and stop recording at the same time. Maybe create a time selection and loop it, but don't bother with the autopunch stuff. Just hit record at a sensible point.
+1 Ashcat's way is the easiest, quickest, most sensible.
The only thing I do different is new tracks, instead of takes - just personal preference.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
Unleash The Fury

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try these things tonight when i get a chance.....but i was just thinking, couldnt i start new tracks to record the parts, then drag all those takes into the first track and line them up like that? If that would work then that would seem like an easy alternative.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
Coachz

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I will try these things tonight when i get a chance.....but i was just thinking, couldnt i start new tracks to record the parts, then drag all those takes into the first track and line them up like that? If that would work then that would seem like an easy alternative.
For me a huge part of Reaper's power is in doing takes and comps all on the same track. It great to allow a musician to loop over a section to punch in and after practicing for a while, drop into record and get about 5 takes and be able to cut the best from each take and make one take. The actions I posted above allow me to easily have a pre-roll and post-roll too so the musician can hear context going into and out of the recording. I have a takes document you might like. Try different ways and find what works best for you and make tons of music !

I also set the mouse modifier in Ruler / Left Click so Shift & Left Click has behavior "Extend Loop Points". This allows a quick adjustment of preroll and postroll too.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hj...9EAEjtEcAfTC4N

Kenny's Takes and Comping video
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ilX2FOyu_Ts
Old 02-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
martifingers

Quote:
Thanks for trying to help....I think you did but indirectly.
The story of my life I guess... but hope you get something working for you from all the wise words here.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
serr

Quote:
That's what I was suggesting.

If you make a single recording track, the new takes you record will stack up in lanes. Drag the parts you like into the track you are building. The 2 and 8 number keys are default for moving items up or down tracks FYI.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote