Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default Depersonalization

https://soundcloud.com/dreamofsleepi...ersonalization

I am happy with the mix, and the way it conveys the emotional I am after, however it is far too dynamic, and far too quiet. I'm already limiting this pretty hard. I need to some how get the quiet parts louder without ruining it. If anyone has any tips please let me know.

Last edited by Dream Of Sleeping; 02-09-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Jorgen
Human being with feelings
 
Jorgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 5,111
Default

Cool, interesting. You got your own thing going. I hear no technical shortfalls. You tune the guitars in a non-standard mode, or does it just sound that way?

If I had to label the music I'd call it alternative folk-prog.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Cool, interesting. You got your own thing going. I hear no technical shortfalls. You tune the guitars in a non-standard mode, or does it just sound that way?

If I had to label the music I'd call it alternative folk-prog.
Thank you. Just standard tuning. I think I may have used a capo though.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #4
aftercutrecords
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15
Default Volume?

Well, it's pretty dynamic.
Don't cringe here, but...
If you want just a little more volume, I suggest the following:

1) Carve out a little more between 100 and 500hz. Your mix sounds great but because of that warmth, you're not going to get a ton of volume out of it. Those frequencies tend to obfuscate the mix more when the compression or limiting is pumping.
2) High pass a little bit. Yeah, this just cleans up the low end energy that won't be heard. It can be gentle, just as long as you're cleaning up that stuff that won't add to the sound, and will inevitably be creating movement with comp or limiting.
3) Clip the mix gently. Something like KCLIP 3 has a smooth, tube, or tape style clipper. This will shave some peaks but bring up overall volume.
4) Stack limiters. If you're currently doing 3db of gain reduction with one limiter, try 1db of limiting with a limiter and then 2db with another limiter. Stacking it changes the way each limiter reacts, allowing you to (again) shave some peaks and THEN bring up more volume with gentle interaction between the two.

Yes, you can get really loud mixes. But sometimes, dynamic and not loud just sounds better. Do as you see fit!
aftercutrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:52 AM   #5
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercutrecords View Post
Well, it's pretty dynamic.
Don't cringe here, but...
If you want just a little more volume, I suggest the following:

1) Carve out a little more between 100 and 500hz. Your mix sounds great but because of that warmth, you're not going to get a ton of volume out of it. Those frequencies tend to obfuscate the mix more when the compression or limiting is pumping.
2) High pass a little bit. Yeah, this just cleans up the low end energy that won't be heard. It can be gentle, just as long as you're cleaning up that stuff that won't add to the sound, and will inevitably be creating movement with comp or limiting.
3) Clip the mix gently. Something like KCLIP 3 has a smooth, tube, or tape style clipper. This will shave some peaks but bring up overall volume.
4) Stack limiters. If you're currently doing 3db of gain reduction with one limiter, try 1db of limiting with a limiter and then 2db with another limiter. Stacking it changes the way each limiter reacts, allowing you to (again) shave some peaks and THEN bring up more volume with gentle interaction between the two.

Yes, you can get really loud mixes. But sometimes, dynamic and not loud just sounds better. Do as you see fit!
Thank you very much. I will try all those suggestions. I can always go back if I ruin it. Also I think I can get away with automating the volume to make those early verses louder.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 AM   #6
RobertP
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 760
Default

Very nice to my ears, liked it a lot. I want your voice...

Just a personal view, I am no engineer, but I thought your vocals were not too quiet in the beginning, at least up to 2:25 but your voice seemed to me to get a bit lost from 2:25 on. It may not be loudness you need but some separation as I think is described above.

I am no expert by any means but if this were my song, once I had got the tones as I want, I would bring all the levels down to zero, bring up the level of your vocals to where you want as the starting point, then bring up guitar etc to suit.

If you change it do please post again
__________________
Windows 7 Pro. Intel i7 3400ghz. 16GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Reaper 64.

suleiman: "WTF r u ppl on abt ?"
RobertP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:24 AM   #7
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Very nice to my ears, liked it a lot. I want your voice...

Just a personal view, I am no engineer, but I thought your vocals were not too quiet in the beginning, at least up to 2:25 but your voice seemed to me to get a bit lost from 2:25 on. It may not be loudness you need but some separation as I think is described above.

I am no expert by any means but if this were my song, once I had got the tones as I want, I would bring all the levels down to zero, bring up the level of your vocals to where you want as the starting point, then bring up guitar etc to suit.

If you change it do please post again
Thank you. The vocals do kind of get lost there. I agree.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,501
Default

I really liked this!
Nice mix, lovely guitar, but the voice gets a bit burried in the mix in when it gets more intense.
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 16GB, Focurite 18i8, Schecter Telecaster, Fender Japan Squire Stratocaster, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I really liked this!
Nice mix, lovely guitar, but the voice gets a bit burried in the mix in when it gets more intense.
Thanks man. I'm working on that right now. I want it to kind of get buried a little, but in this mix i think it just pushes that too far. I knew it when I finished as well, but I was just being lazy, or afraid I'd messs it up. I think the next mix will slightly improve on it. Or it might be exactly the same and just be the placebo effect!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
Sambo Rouge
Human being with feelings
 
Sambo Rouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 1,788
Default

I like it a lot.

It is too boomy --- needs some eq attention.

Like others have said the voice needs to come forward --- it starts to get lost half way through.

Great song --- it really is worth re-working it.
__________________
BREXIT SCHMEXIT !!
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
I like it a lot.

It is too boomy --- needs some eq attention.

Like others have said the voice needs to come forward --- it starts to get lost half way through.

Great song --- it really is worth re-working it.
Thank you. I've uploaded another version, but the eq differences are subtle so not sure anyone else will notice. I'll leave it for now and come back to it in a month or so.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #12
zeekat
Human being with feelings
 
zeekat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Polandia
Posts: 2,098
Default

This is all shapes of lovely. In a sad way. Great detail in the background, feels very complete with the lil hum bits and all.
__________________
"I enjoy contributing my crap to the world of crap" - Devin Townsend
my soundclouds+youtubings
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #13
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
This is all shapes of lovely. In a sad way. Great detail in the background, feels very complete with the lil hum bits and all.
Thank you.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
Sambo Rouge
Human being with feelings
 
Sambo Rouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
Thank you. I've uploaded another version ---

Hey Dream --- much improved, now I can hear all of the lovely stuff even more. Full marks.
__________________
BREXIT SCHMEXIT !!
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #15
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Hey Dream --- much improved, now I can hear all of the lovely stuff even more. Full marks.
That's great news. Thank you for listening again.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #16
Barksy
Human being with feelings
 
Barksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Colah, Sydney, Australia
Posts: 430
Default

Always enjoy your songs, thanks for sharing.
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #17
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksy View Post
Always enjoy your songs, thanks for sharing.
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #18
tonybeepbeep
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 138
Default

Really enjoyed the track and can't add any other feedback as I'm late to the thread.

Your vocals remind me quite a bit of the vocalist from Katatonia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrqGXJPaMs
tonybeepbeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #19
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
Really enjoyed the track and can't add any other feedback as I'm late to the thread.

Your vocals remind me quite a bit of the vocalist from Katatonia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrqGXJPaMs
Thank you. That guy's voice reminded me of the singer from tool. It's hard to to tell what my own voice sounds like. When I listen back I always think I sound like Mr Bean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl7198JcOK0
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #20
smueske
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default

I liked this track quite a bit. Glad I got a chance to listen to it.
__________________
Steve
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #21
timothys_monster
Human being with feelings
 
timothys_monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Xalapa, Mexico
Posts: 756
Default

Amazing composition and dynamics! That one made my day. Thanks for sharing such dark beauty. <3
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:34 AM   #22
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
I liked this track quite a bit. Glad I got a chance to listen to it.
Thank you!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:35 AM   #23
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Amazing composition and dynamics! That one made my day. Thanks for sharing such dark beauty. <3
Thank you for listening! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #24
OrkDadin
Human being with feelings
 
OrkDadin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 85
Default

Really reminds me of "Midlake" at times, but it's definitely its own thing. I really like your music! Can't comment too much on the mix, since I'm at work with cheap headphones.
__________________
OrkDadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #25
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrkDadin View Post
Really reminds me of "Midlake" at times, but it's definitely its own thing. I really like your music! Can't comment too much on the mix, since I'm at work with cheap headphones.
Thank you!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #26
mschuster
Human being with feelings
 
mschuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,117
Default

absolutely beautiful! guitar is lovely.. some of the best lyrics i've ever heard. very creative... great job!
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 AM   #27
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post
absolutely beautiful! guitar is lovely.. some of the best lyrics i've ever heard. very creative... great job!
Wow. Thanks so much!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:24 AM   #28
TheProbe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 21
Default Sounds Great

Well I'm at work enjoying quite a few of your tracks. Personally I like the production.
TheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #29
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProbe View Post
Well I'm at work enjoying quite a few of your tracks. Personally I like the production.
Thank you!
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #30
Zblogny
Human being with feelings
 
Zblogny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blois - France
Posts: 2,954
Default

I like it very much !
Great atmosphere and lyrics.
I had the lyrics translated by DeepL.Translator, it's just as beautiful in French :

https://ahp.li/143d1f218ea2341e561e.pdf
__________________
Gérard Delassus
https://gerarddelassus.bandcamp.com/
Hearthis.at
Zblogny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:38 AM   #31
Dream Of Sleeping
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zblogny View Post
I like it very much !
Great atmosphere and lyrics.
I had the lyrics translated by DeepL.Translator, it's just as beautiful in French :

https://ahp.li/143d1f218ea2341e561e.pdf
This is awesome! Thanks so much for doing this. I'm going to share this on my facebook.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.