Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
griz lee
Human being with feelings

Default Have you guys seen Nuendo's new Surround Panner?

I'm guessing you busy dev people are probably thinking v4. Being up to date kind of people, you'll forgive me for mentioning this if you've already seen it.

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=21593

Go half way down, and click on 'Screenshot surround panner v5'.

Some very, very cool features in there. You can rotate a surround pan around a pan handle (or i think that's what they call it), etc, etc.

Bonza. Looks like they've actually asked surround people what they want!

Last edited by griz lee; 09-20-2010 at 03:24 PM.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
run, megalodon

Quote:
The Nuendo 5 Surround Panner offers
fantastic possibilities to position audio events more conveniently in the surround field. For example a new parameter allows to
seamlessly moving a sound from on- to off screen into the surround area – with only one knob dial. Furthermore, it’s possible
to turn stems around its axis or to make a 180° counter shot with one button, which allows rotating rooms or atmospheres in
accordance to moving views/camera pans. Thus audio events are more “connected” to the picture.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
griz lee

ah. there it is

... Check the 'Divergence'/scale bits. Very important.

These prevent your surround sources sticking out like little points in a surround field.

You can need this stuff to get a decent blend going, or else the whole image can easily become just a series of isolated points in space (sounding rather like 'wow, my first surround mix, there's stuff over here, stuff there. Isn't it great' kinda thing). Yes, for five minutes, until you discover there is no cohesion in the mix any more.

Surround pan designers, like the popular alternative to 'no panner' which we've currently got, can go for separation and may forget 'blend'.

I ask humbly that we don't forget 'blend' features like divergence or 'width' when the time comes...
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

A BIG +1 to that Griz Lee.

This looks like a really well thought out panner too.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
audioguytodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
ah. there it is

... Check the 'Divergence'/scale bits. Very important.

These prevent your surround sources sticking out like little points in a surround field.

You can need this stuff to get a decent blend going, or else the whole image can easily become just a series of isolated points in space (sounding rather like 'wow, my first surround mix, there's stuff over here, stuff there. Isn't it great' kinda thing). Yes, for five minutes, until you discover there is no cohesion in the mix any more.

Surround pan designers, like the popular alternative to 'no panner' which we've currently got, can go for separation and may forget 'blend'.

I ask humbly that we don't forget 'blend' features like divergence or 'width' when the time comes...
+1 for all that. Please let there be a good surround panner in V4. Oh, and true stereo pans as well...
Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
chip mcdonald

Given the increase in importance in multimedia and how things are distributed these days - +100
Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
mim

+1

there is no x64 surround panner, and it's always better to use a native surround panner solution. Fingers crossed.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote