Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Mercado_Negro

Default 3.72pre2

v3.72pre2 - October 5 2010
+ Armed actions: do not cancel armed action on undo
+ MIDI editor: reduced memory use when opening/closing many editors
+ MIDI editor: fixed memory leak when reusing MIDI editor and switching between MIDI items
+ Media items: disabled "copy loop of selected area" action for MIDI items
+ Media items: recalculate autocrossfades for beat-based media items when changing time signature
+ Media items: selecting items via shift+click respects option to select all grouped items
+ Media items: grouped items respect option to use relative edge editing

v3.72pre1 - October 2 2010
+ Media items: allow copying loop of selected area when the time selection includes the item end
+ Stability: Improved MIDI note previewing threadsafety
+ Performance: Reduced thread locking when recalculating item information
+ Feedback routing: fixed stopped monitoring with feedback
+ Feedback routing: decreased memory/CPU use
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Why on earth is that? Have there been problems with it?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Thanks devs! Some nice things here.

looks like you may be close to "slipping in" a little love for the copy selected area of items action only pasting relatively when using time based items. Be great to have it for beat based (unless there is an underlying problem with doing this?)
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Default + Media items: grouped items respect option to use relative edge editing

please please please make this one a right click option in the grouping icon.

Unless I'm missing something this has just killed a useful function that I used for aligning different vocal backing tracks or differently timed drum loops together.

I use to be able to group them, cut them into their transients then move each transient till it locked in with the master one, at which point they would all lock together and move as one making it VERY easy to align multiple items.

PLEASE make it a right click option, this was one of those bonus things that make me love reaper..

..don't take away my ice cream!

EDIT: ok, so at least using control they still can lock to each other but it then doesn't automatically start to move everything at once.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 10-05-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
musicbynumbers

Default + Media items: grouped items respect option to use relative edge editing

plus I have just additionally found that if you dual stretch non aligned (but touching) items and then they snap to say your edit cursor the ability to move them all at once gets broken.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post

Why on earth is that? Have there been problems with it?
I'd also want to know, it's pretty useful.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
AdamWathan

Hoooly smokes, it's the AdamWathan edition, haha... Thanks for all these fixes devs, going to do some testing now!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Hoooly smokes, it's the AdamWathan edition, haha... Thanks for all these fixes devs, going to do some testing now!
You indeed hit the jackpot but not without casualties!

That one hurt me! ouch
Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
...and this one hurt me and Gofer...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
You indeed hit the jackpot but not without casualties!

That one hurt me! ouch
I don't understand what it even did? My bug is not fixed there, I haven't noticed any changes...

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/releditgroupbug.swf

Last edited by AdamWathan; 10-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something this has just killed a useful function that I used for aligning different vocal backing tracks or differently timed drum loops together.
There is a preference in Prefs/Media/Use relative editing when resizing item edges, disabled by default.

This is the current behavior:
With the preference off, moving an item edge only moves other selected/grouped items whose edges line up.
With the preference on, moving an item edge also moves the edges of all other selected/grouped items.

This is the previous behavior:
With the preference off, moving an item edge only moves other selected/grouped items whose edges line up.
With the preference on, moving an item edge also moves the edges of all other selected items, and all grouped items whose edges line up.

The change was in response to a bug report about the inconsistent previous behavior. Could you explain when the previous behavior is useful? We can make this an option if need be.

The change does seem to be working here:
[img]
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1011152/capture.gif
[/img]

Edit: the previous behavior is useful, probably more useful than the changed behavior if you are doing grouped drum edits. We can add a new option "grouped items ignore relative edge editing preference" to restore the previous behavior, or perhaps we should just revert the change?

Last edited by schwa; 10-05-2010 at 01:36 PM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

copy loop of selected area deserves a - instead of a +.
I think it's a bummer. The error message says "This action can only be used on audio items that are not already looped". Though, it (still) works on looped audio items as before, so the message is exaggerating afaict. Hope that will not be restricted as well.

Can't think of a reason why. I never had problems with it, as long as the time selection didn't touch the item edges and it was handy for sure. Now it's copy selected area -> glue -> enable loop.

Basically it was my workaround for "loop section of source" not working on MIDI
Old 10-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There is a preference in Prefs/Media/Use relative editing when resizing item edges, disabled by default.

With the preference off, moving an item edge also moves the edges of all other selected/grouped items. With the preference on, moving an item edge only moves other selected/grouped items whose edges line up.

With the preference off, moving an item edge also moves the edges of all other selected items, and all grouped items whose edges line up. With the preference on, moving an item edge only moves other selected/grouped items whose edges line up.

The change was in response to a bug report about the inconsistent previous behavior. Could you explain when the previous behavior is useful? We can make this an option if need be.
Unless I'm misunderstanding I don't think this is explained correctly here (perhaps you wrote it backwards schwa?)... My experience is this:

Relative edge editing preference ON: Resizing one item's edge resizes the edges of all selected items, regardless of whether they line up

Relative edge editing preference OFF: Resizing an item's edge resizes the edge of only that item and other selected items whose edges DO line up

http://screencast.com/t/pnl6YYhYmMn

Also, we posted at the same time before so in case you missed it...

Quote:
I don't understand what it even did? My bug is not fixed there, I haven't noticed any changes...

Last edited by AdamWathan; 10-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
copy loop of selected area deserves a - instead of a +.
I think it's a bummer. The error message says "This action can only be used on audio items that are not already looped". Though, it (still) works on looped audio items as before, so the message is exaggerating afaict. Hope that will not be restricted as well.

Can't think of a reason why. I never had problems with it, as long as the time selection didn't touch the item edges and it was handy for sure. Now it's copy selected area -> glue -> enable loop.

Basically it was my workaround for "loop section of source" not working on MIDI
Again I'm with Gofer on this one. Any explanation why this was removed? Any possibility of making it optional?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
AdamWathan

Quote:
+ Armed actions: do not cancel armed action on undo
While we're on the subject of this, can we get the cursor issue fixed? It still displays the "Armed" cursor even when the mouse is hovering over zones that will not activate the action when clicked ie. fade zones, volume handles, trim zones, while holding alt to slip edit, etc.

http://screencast.com/t/5BkOKhZ1e

It should only replace the main pointer cursor since every other cursor changing action is still available even while armed (which is awesome! Please keep it that way! )
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
(perhaps you wrote it backwards schwa?)
Ack, I did write it backwards. Corrected now. Also see my screencap above.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
AdamWathan

Quote:
+ Media items: recalculate autocrossfades for beat-based media items when changing time signature
Works great however it doesn't obey the actual Auto Crossfade preference, it automatically crossfades whether it is turned on or off. It should probably only do it if autocrossfades are enabled.

http://screencast.com/t/y9TMI4HwjL
Old 10-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
musicbynumbers

Thanks Schwa, I have just realised that somehow my relative editing option in prefs got turned ON so now the behaviour is back to how it was before.

Perhaps there is no longer a need for an option as it does seem to be fine now

sorry for throwing my toys out, just got worried you had killed that gem of a feature!

Quote:

With the preference on, moving an item edge also moves the edges of all other selected/grouped items.

With the preference on, moving an item edge also moves the edges of all other selected items, and all grouped items whose edges line up.

The change does seem to be working here:
[img]
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1011152/capture.gif
[/img]

Edit: the previous behavior is useful, probably more useful than the changed behavior if you are doing grouped drum edits. We can add a new option "grouped items ignore relative edge editing preference" to restore the previous behavior, or perhaps we should just revert the change?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Re loop section changes:

"Section source" is the feature where you can make an item that is a smaller section (or a reversed version) of a larger item, without gluing or creating a new media file. You can create a section source from the media item properties window, or by running one of the actions "Item: Loop section of audio item source",or "Item properties: Toggle take reverse", or "Item: Copy loop of selected area of audio items".

Section source has never been supported for MIDI items, but due to a bug, the last action would still work for MIDI items, though the resulting section source would not work properly in many ways. The change is that the last action now won't work on MIDI items.

The error message you get when you try to run the action also changed, but the changed wording is poor. You still can, and will continue to be able to, make a section source out of a looped item. What you can't do, and never could, is make a section source that spans the loop boundary -- that's what the error message is supposed to say.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #20
AdamWathan

Quote:
Ack, I did write it backwards. Corrected now. Also see my screencap above.
Eek that's not what I was reporting as a "bug"... Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do think the new behavior is maybe more logical and expected though, but if it is ruining older workflows that has to be considered... My actual bug still isn't fixed:

Edit: new video, explains it better... This isn't something that should affect anyone's workflow, it's just a matter of one tiny corner case where grouped items aren't acting in a group.

Last edited by AdamWathan; 10-05-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
musicbynumbers

ACTUALLY..

I just watched your gif and realised that this grouping option may come in handy as a right click option after all since it allows you to say adjust the length of a snare hit all at the same time but if I can turn this off for getting back my snapping behaviour then that 's all good.

so option might be worth doing.

don;'t suppose there's any modifiers left?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Eek that's not what I was reporting as a "bug"... Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do think the new behavior is maybe more logical and expected though, but if it is ruining older workflows that has to be considered... My actual bug still isn't fixed:

http://screencast.com/t/OvvzwsCxz2G
It seems you mean for multiple groups and I think schwa means it's fixed for a single group of items that come one after the other.

If you have the group option to select all items when clicking on one then it would work right?

Any reason you don't have that turned on?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #23
AdamWathan

Quote:
It seems you mean for multiple groups and I think schwa means it's fixed for a single group of items that come one after the other.

If you have the group option to select all items when clicking on one then it would work right?

Any reason you don't have that turned on?
I do have it turned on, but CTRL+Click to select a grouped item doesn't select the whole group (which is useful). But just because it's not selected doesn't mean it shouldn't behave as grouped. In fact, if you have that preference (select all in group) turned off, trimming one item still trims unselected items that are grouped with it, so I don't think it's really up for discussion, it just doesn't extend properly to this one corner case situation.

And yes, 3 distinct groups. The new video explains it better!

screencast fail, link removed

EDIT: AHHH TECHSMITH FAIL! Redoing...

Last edited by AdamWathan; 10-05-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
musicbynumbers

Ok now I see the bug. nice catch!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #25
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:

Section source has never been supported for MIDI items, but due to a bug, the last action would still work for MIDI items, though the resulting section source would not work properly in many ways. The change is that the last action now won't work on MIDI items.
<stomps feet> I want my bug back.

Although, you're right. If I remember correctly the section loops of MIDI items didn't show up properly in the MIDI editors. Is there a chance to get section source for MIDI in the future? It would really be better to have MIDI and audio item editing as consistent as possible
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #26
schwa
Administrator

The bugs with MIDI section source are that it cannot be edited correctly in the MIDI editor, the MIDI output can be anywhere from one tick to a full buffer block off, real-time reverse is completely broken, and changes to the original MIDI item only randomly get picked up by the section source.

It was never meant to work, it was a mistake that the one action allowed it to look sort of like it worked. Someday it might be fully supported, but that day is not likely to be soon, unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #27
EvilDragon

Quote:
Someday it might be fully supported, but that day is not likely to be soon, unfortunately.
That's sad. Because lots of users want more and better MIDI functionality...

Not meaning to sound negative, but it's been asked for on these forums over and over again, people are by now expecting some pretty big things for MIDI in v4. And number 1 for that would be in-project ghostable MIDI items. Number 2 would be better editing of multiple items in MIDI editor (all MIDI items on one track should be considered as one, for example, there should be some kind of MIDI item list/inspector, whatever...) etc. etc. etc.

Reaper is awesome for audio. For MIDI it's decent. And "decent" is far from "great".

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-05-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #28
musicbynumbers

In project ghost items would be super delightful for reaper 4
Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #29
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Reaper is awesome for audio. For MIDI it's decent. And "decent" is far from "great".
Ahem! I still have a bunch of important audio FRs that I hope will one day come to fruition!

Rapid Environment for Audio Production, Engineering and Recording

Come on, don't kick me out of the club completely yet!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #30
gofer
-blänk-

Ok, That's it.

I'm off to REAMPER.

Oh,

Reamper doesn't sound quite right. I'm back.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #31
xpander

Default Fixed bug, thanks!

I haven't been able to test everything in this pre yet, and agree with what ED has said about possible future MIDI improvements too, but theres certainly one thing I really like about this 3.72pre2.

I mean, I had just prepared a bug report since it seems I lost MIDI port 8 from my MOTU MTP AV with Reaper 3.71...it was still working fine in 3.69. But now after quick run with 3.72pre2, everything is back to normal again in that regard. Whatever it was, thanks for fixing it!
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #32
airon

Fun behaviour popped up as I was mixing a podcast jingle today.

One track with an item on it and some volume automation recorded in Latch mode. Second and third track both also with active and armed volume envelope.

All envelope are hidden. Prefs are set to allow writing to hidden envelope tracks. Pref to pop up new envelope lanes when parameters are twiddled in a writing mode are on.

Item is moved to second track, it's volume envelope AND the one of the source track all of a sudden pops up, basically hiding the item in the source tracks envelope lane until I move on to the second track. At first I pondered what the bloody hell was going on, but my item hadn't disappeared .

A demonstration :

This behaviour occurs in Read/Trim mode as well. The proper thing is NOT to bring up already active envelope lanes at all. No sir, it is not helpful.

The automation doesn't get handled very well either. It seems item movement destroys automation around it. I thought that was fixed some time ago. I shall certainly keep a steady eye on this, but I'm not sure you'll be able to devote the proper time to getting this in order for v3. Rest assured I will be pushing for more convenient execution in v4. Oh yeah.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #33
musicbynumbers

Airon, had same problem yesterday of it showing automation when accidentally moving item vertically instead of just horizontally.

I guess it serves as warning You about automation being copied
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #34
fingers

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: reduced memory use when opening/closing many editors
+ MIDI editor: fixed memory leak when reusing MIDI editor and switching between MIDI items
That was quick. Thanks!
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #35
Subz

Quote:
I guess it serves as warning You about automation being copied
thats what i was thinking,

i kind of like it
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #36
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
That was quick. Thanks!

indeed! but i have seen these devs do Quicker

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #37
musicbynumbers

Cheeky place to ask but I just thought that these two additional actions

"render project to disk using last settings"

and

"consolidate tracks using last settings"

Would speed up work flow quite a bit in certain conditions. I for one like the idea of setting both render and consolidate to do selected tracks at the touch of a button

Will post in FR forum as well but any one think that's a good idea?