Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 AM   #1
tonybeepbeep
Human being with feelings

Default Tear my death metal mix apart, please...

Here be metal...

I'll get my excuses out of the way first:
  • I'm 46 now and my ears are f****d
  • I played next to the drummer's ride cymbal for over ten years, so my left ear is worse than my right
  • I really use Reaper as a glorified Tascam Portastudio right now to help me demo songparts
  • I still don't get BFD3 100%
  • I added Ozone Elements on the master buss because the voices in my head told me to
  • Mixing seems to exacerbate my ADHD and I end up like a piece of sodium on water, flying from one process to the next - I need some lessons in mindfulness and proper workflow

Anyway, If you did take a listen then it's just a couple of verse/chorus sections that I've slung together. Guitars (HM-2 and similar) and bass are in drop A and the programmed drums are intentionally in your face.

Reference-wise it's supposed to sound somewhere close to this:

Entrails - No Cross Left Unturned
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #2
TheProbe

Morning!

I think I'm in the same boat in terms of mixing and my process, after 6 months or so I think I'm making progress - I do a rough mix with a notepad and write down a list of issues, then go through and fix one thing at a time, render, listen, make more notes and repeat. I find writing things down stops me from trying to fix everything all at once (most of the time :-)).

For the mix I think the main thing is the guitars are too quiet...have you just changed the mix? sounds less bright than before
TheProbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProbe View Post
Morning!

I think I'm in the same boat in terms of mixing and my process, after 6 months or so I think I'm making progress - I do a rough mix with a notepad and write down a list of issues, then go through and fix one thing at a time, render, listen, make more notes and repeat. I find writing things down stops me from trying to fix everything all at once (most of the time :-)).

For the mix I think the main thing is the guitars are too quiet...have you just changed the mix? sounds less bright than before
I used to be very Germanic in my planning and loved making notes on projects. Nowadays I need some help with a push towards notation. I'd love to have a favourite pen and make copious amounts of notes in a hard backed journal.

Since I'm a guitarist I'm scratching in guitar tracks to get an idea of possible double tracks and layers. So the finished article isn't there yet, and the others on Soundcloud are other stages in the evolution of the song.

One has the ride way up in the mix, which I quite like, but the bell becomes hypnotic after a few bars

Thanks for the feedback
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
smueske

Here are my thoughts for you to kick or keep. The drums are much louder than the guitars -- I know you said that was intentional, but in listening to the reference track, the drums are much louder in yours. The guitars are pumping and distorting, which weakens their presence and authority. If I had to guess, I'd say you haven't gain staged properly and are either overcompensating with a compressor or limiter on a guitar bus and then limiting again on the master. Bring down all the volume levels until you are rarely redlining. Your mix will actually get louder that way. Also, leave a little bit of headroom for SoundCloud to process the downsampling and streaming algorithms -- it doesn't have to be much, -.05 or so should do the trick.

Good luck!

Last edited by smueske; 01-08-2019 at 08:45 PM.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
DuFFuL

Song sounds good. There is definitely potential. An easy trap with metal is having to much low end in the guitars and scooping the mods to much. It really makes it sound muddy. Also use an req to cut 200hz off the bottom of the bass guitar. It will take out some of the rumble and bring clarity.
DuFFuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
ste33

What Smueske said. You stated the in your face drums were intentional, but they are losing overall power in the mix. Gain stage the instruments for a start avoiding over compensation in other areas, and the overall mix will be more louder and powerful. I like to get to around 0.7 find mixes are more powerful around there.
ste33 is offline   Reply With Quote