Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
ZAKAR
Human being with feelings

Default Why is my reference track clipping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyyP-WrIQ0k Used a youtube --> mp3 converter to download this and put it into Reaper to use as a reference track. When I did, however, it was going into the red by about 0.5 db. Any idea why this is?

Related: I can't seem to get the current track I'm mastering as "loud" as this one is even with the use of a limiter (Using Ozone 8's mastering suite) I always heard that youtube's loudness was -13 lufs. Even when I make my track the same loudness it still seems quieter. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.
ZAKAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
sisaso

That is the mp3 converter. When converting to mp3 it is advised to give some headroom. When I record that song direct from Youtube into reaper as wav it peaks at-1.6 dB.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
DVDdoug

Yeah... MP3 makes some peaks higher and some peaks lower (without changing the perceived loudness or dynamics). The result is that the new highest-peaks are often higher, especially if the original file was "artificially" compressed/limited.

MP3 can go over 0dB without clipping so the MP3 is not (necessarily) clipped, but your DAC will clip if you play it at "full digital volume".

I've never heard of a case where that slight-clipping was audible but some people do like to leave headroom when making MP3s.

Quote:
Related: I can't seem to get the current track I'm mastering as "loud" as this one is even with the use of a limiter (Using Ozone 8's mastering suite)
I think Ozone is pretty good but I wouldn't expect to get the same loudness as an experienced mastering engineer.

Well actually... You should be able to get as-loud, or louder, but with more "damage" than the pro. If the Ozone limiter can't get "aggressive" enough (hard to believe, but I don't have Ozone) you can process it 2 or 3 times (with make-up gain every time) and it should get louder every time but you probably wouldn't like the results....

Quote:
I always heard that youtube's loudness was -13 lufs. Even when I make my track the same loudness it still seems quieter. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.
I don't know how the YouTube loudness adjustment works... Your download MP3 may not have the loudness adjustment applied, especially since it's peaking just above 0dB.

And... Your reference recording should probably be from a CD (or other lossless original source). YouTube uses lossy compression and when you download as MP3 you are going through another generation of lossy compression. If it was uploaded as MP3 or AAC it's been through 3 generations of lossy compression!

Last edited by DVDdoug; 02-11-2019 at 03:10 PM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
ZAKAR

Appreciate the answers guys. This was helpful.
ZAKAR is offline   Reply With Quote