Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #41
Evan
Human being with feelings

GUI comments...

A vote for higher contrast between selected/normal tracks (TCP and MCP). Either a little brighter tracks when selected, or a little darker normal tracks, or a little of both.

Similarly the master track (MCP) is a little too dark (+ the bottom text 0.00db/center is not readable here unless master track is selected). Also, selected master track is still dimmer than unselected normal tracks.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #42
dungbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Thank you , I saw those but have not yet worked out how to control that cursor.
Point and click with the mouse.

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #43
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaypeso View Post
v3.beta.2 - April 8 2009
+ Filter search box and peaks display/position control in Media Explorer

FR: A button (and an option) to "Auto-clear" the Filter field on Folder change (similar to that in the FX Browser).
Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #44
BlackBart

+ MIDI editor piano key mousewheel rationalization

What's this?
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #45
17hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
+ MIDI editor piano key mousewheel rationalization

What's this?
I think this means that when you scroll with your mousewheel in the piano roll (over the piano keys) it behaves in a "rational" manner ;-) I have a hard time comparing from memory, but I'll say that the piano roll "feels" nice to scroll in in Beta 2. Good game Reaper devs!

In general I think that this release is FANTASTIC. So many useful things! The media explorer is especially nice. One thing I think would be awesome, since MOST plugins don't support sample drag'n'drop from the media explorer, is a "Copy Sample Path" option in the right click menu (preferably with a configurable shortcut key or interface button or something). That way you could find a sample, quickly copy its full path, and paste it into the sample browse in your drum plugin of choice (*cough* Grizzly *cough*).

Overall, nicely done on Beta 2!

EDIT: Within minutes of posting about the "copy file path" request I found like 5 different shell extensions for windows that do this for you. A really small one (60kb) called ClipPath can be found at http://personal.vsnl.com/sureshms/ClipPath.zip. Having said that, a button in the reaper interface would save you a click or two (and having to install a 3rd party shell extension to do something simple).

Last edited by 17hex; 04-09-2009 at 11:08 PM.
17hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #46
tomgadd

Default REX-Files

Thanks alot, now Rex-preview works wonderful!!
tomgadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #47
Jack Winter

I'd also raise my voice for the velocity indicator to be themable. Another idea would be to display it in the gap between left and right channel on the meter. At the moment it looks like a gfx glitch when i have the panels tinted in certain colors.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #48
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Another idea would be to display it in the gap between left and right channel on the meter.
Now there's a good idea . That would make the MIDI meters look much more integrated. I'd vote for both, color selectable and the new position.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #49
spikemullings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungbeetle View Post
'Ere, wassat?

On MIDI tracks:
Should this appear on tracks other than those that hold the midi?

At the moment seem to appear on any track from which there is any chain of sends at all connected to the midi track - including for example my EZD drum group track and the reverb send track I'm sending some of the drum tracks to.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #50
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaypeso View Post

+ Action to explode MIDI items by note row (pitch)
yeeeeees,

was missing this feature from Logic 8, very usefull for drums patterns.
All this little notes exploded in several beautifull tracks with there names in the same pretty folder.

Lovely,
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #51
jaydottcomm

Default ok

+ Improvements to recording with looping/time selection

what the hell is this and how do you use it?
jaydottcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #52
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydottcomm View Post

Yeah, I'm still wondering about this. It can't be anything major, or more detail would've been given. My guess it's probably just corrections for a few behaviors that people were finding odd/annoying.
Lokasenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #53
xackley

Quote:

I just downloaded to test if this fixed the length of items when loop recording.

It doesn't.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #54
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The FX preset link to MIDI program change is on the menu next to the FX preset dropdown:

I've posted something like this as a FR some time ago... thank you so much !!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #55
reaperuser1

+ Midi overdub/replace recording creates items that fit the time selection

Who uses this function in which way?
Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out the real benefit of this new function, because:

I noticed that the new item gets only created when the cursor is set before the item with the time selection and then nothing is recorded into this item but the already existing one. Why is that?
When the cursor starts inside the old, to be punched in item, than no item is created.
What is the logic behind that?
Generally, it was mentioned quite often...in one way or anotherin the alpha and beta logfiles..., that there is now an improved midi recording, overdub,.... support/functionality and new features. I wish I knew in more detail in which ways these can be seen and used, though I surely don't expect a manual at this stage! I feel it is very much like trial and error. And then I feel like: where is that listed function, is this intended, has this been changed, in which combination did this happen, is this a bug or is it just me :-)
Reaper is quite complex (no complaining) but,as far as I am concerned, sometimes too complex for me for trial and error, especially when in beta stage. And a single tick or a new actions or combination of settings can change the game thoroughly.
Otherwise... Reaper is very promising and very nice!

Regards
reaperuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #56
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I'd also raise my voice for the velocity indicator to be themable. Another idea would be to display it in the gap between left and right channel on the meter. At the moment it looks like a gfx glitch when i have the panels tinted in certain colors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Now there's a good idea . That would make the MIDI meters look much more integrated. I'd vote for both, color selectable and the new position.
Colour-selectable +=1

In between the meters - not sure, won't that run underneath (or through) the MIDI input device name or "MIDI output" or... (on the TCP, I mean)? Or can I turn off that label in the meters?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #57
Marah Mag

Default Reduce number of envelope points

The ability to reduce the number of envelope points is really nice. And its great that one of the recent builds changed the reduction dialog so it remembers you last option. Fabulous responsiveness, JCS!

Is there currently some way to reduce the number of envelope points that are actually recorded by fader movements... IOW, somehow reducing them either on input, or after transport stops, or maybe some other way?

Would be nice to be able to specify an envelope resolution in ms, similar to how you can set up the 'Automation recording return speed' in preferences (a really nice touch, btw.)
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #58
Marah Mag

Default Envelopes not reading in dbs

I have a track where the track vol env, instead of reading in dbs, plus or minus around 0db, is reading Odb as 1.0000, with -inf as 0.0000, and max goes up to 2.0000, which the track's fader label shows as +6db (leaving the track fader with an additional 18db of throw.)

This is the only track I found doing this, other tracks are reading env in dbs. It's happening when env is displayed in a media lane or an envelope lane. In the envelope lane, the fader label also reads between 0.0000 and 2.0000, instead of dbs, but the main track fader continues to read in dbs.

Volume (Pre-DFX) envelope is displaying in dbs.

Is this an option I somehow tripped? Or a bug I somehow tripped over?

Envelopes, and envelope lanes, are getting weirder and weirder the more I use them.......

Beta 2b.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #59
DarkStar

== >> Would be better on the Bug Reports thread ?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=34339
Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #60
DarkStar

Default Q Restoring "hidden" envelopes?

PS Once an Envelope is "hidden" (but still active) how can you easily get it back (especially if you have forgotten that you have hidden it)?

... never mind, Ive found "Show all active track envelopes"

Last edited by DarkStar; 04-12-2009 at 12:15 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #61
Evan

More GUI nitpicks...

1) The folder icon (top-left, the 'tree' type) is great but becomes small when the folder is in the shrunk state. The icon depicts of three 'branches' becoming thinner as the folder size is toggled. In order to keep the icon size constant (and thus easily visible), it could display more 'branches' as they get thinner. Makes sense?

2) The folder icon (the other one next to the buttons) could use a couple of pixels or thereabouts further away from the IO button. Especially in folder tracks, the folder and the IO buttons appear to be grouped.

3) The volume faders could use a *touch* reduction in size. In the TCP at least.

4) The transport bar. Would prefer it slightly fatter (the whole bar). The BPM etc.. fonts are small as they are. Would also prefer larger and brighter (esp. when active) transport buttons. This is a component that needs to be seen from a distance clearly. Also, when the transport is on a floating window, the controls are too close to the window border, could use a little extra margin.

On another note, the horizontal scrollbar (empty-project-resize-scrollbar) bug seems to have been fixed finally! Thanks!

Last edited by Evan; 04-12-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #62
Marah Mag

I agree mostly with all 4 of those nitpicks.

Re #2, would also like a dedicated right-click menu for the folder icon that listed the available options, and indicated which was currently set. Cycling through them isn't fun, especially with nested folders.

Re #4, maybe not a fatter transport (IMV) so much, but brighter, definitely. I want to HAVE to see that Record is engaged. And the fonts are too small and thin to be that dark.

That said, the default theme is quite nice (IMV).

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to optionally have two rows for the track name in MCP, center justified, maybe with double-spaces forcing a new line.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #63
Marah Mag

Default Envelopes shapes

If would be nice, especially at lower zooms, if the 'Set shape for all selected points' menu indicated what the point's current shape is IF only a single point is selected, OR if multiple points are selected AND they all have the same shape.

Would also be nice if, when clicking or hovering over a point, the caption/label/tooltip thing indicated what that point's shape was. Like maybe on the right side of the text.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #64
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post
Is there currently some way to reduce the number of envelope points that are actually recorded by fader movements
You can right-click the main toolbar envelopes button and select "reduce envelope point data while recording automation."
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #65
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Or can I turn off that label in the meters?
You can turn it off with prefs/appearance/show track input when record armed.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #66
Marah Mag

Quote:
You can right-click the main toolbar envelopes button and select "reduce envelope point data while recording automation."
Had no idea that was an option. Though I'm not surprised that it is. Nice. Thanks.

Ditto this:

Quote:
It's the little things.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #67
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperuser1 View Post
+ Midi overdub/replace recording creates items that fit the time selection

Who uses this function in which way?
Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out the real benefit of this new function
Try this: set a time-selection. Put reaper into overdub mode. Put reaper into either auto-punch mode, but make sure no item is selected. Put the playback cursor at the start of the time selection. Record some mfi ant stop before the completion of re second pass.

The newly created midi item should be the length of the time selection... or at least much closer than in the past.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 04-13-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #68
midiboss

Quote:

Different people, different work flows, different priorities...
To me, this is a big improvement.
Basic difference is, that if you had a midi clip, which you extended for looping, any overdubbing resulted in destroying original loop and it's timing. That was before.
Now it works as it should, so we can now build grooves on the fly while arrangement is running.

E.a. Now you add bass drum, than snare, than hats and it loops the recording clip without ruining it...

More info at: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=11679
midiboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #69
DarkStar

Quote:
In between the meters - not sure, won't that run underneath (or through) the MIDI input device name or "MIDI output" or... (on the TCP, I mean)? Or can I turn off that label in the meters?
Quote:
Got it, thank you

When I turn it off, the current red line at the bottom looks Ok to me. And, when recording, I like a reminder of the input device. So I think I like it as is is now. (once the now-redundant "MIDI input indicator" red square is removed!)

=================
EDIT:
oops, that red square is not redundant - it's still needed when receiving MIDI CC messages only (perhaps only use it for "non-note" MIDI messages)

Last edited by DarkStar; 04-13-2009 at 02:38 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #70
reaperuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Try this: set a time-selection. Put reaper into overdub mode. Put reaper into either auto-punch mode, but make sure no item is selected. Put the playback cursor at the start of the time selection. Record some mfi ant stop before the completion of re second pass.

The newly created midi item should be the length of the time selection... or at least much closer than in the past.

.t
Thanks for your reply.
But:
I tried several combinations and of course your description and hope you can confirm my observations:
1) the main recording mode has to be time selection auto punch and no other mode will do in combination with midi item overdub or either midi replace mode
2) if there is no item in the time selection an item is created the size of the timeselection and midi data is recorded into that one.
3) if the FIPM is not enabled and there is an item in the timeselection and the cursor starts outside the time selection BUT INSIDE (timewise) that already existing item which runs through that time selection(selected or not)no new item is created for the time selection, AND the existing item receives the data !
4) if the FIPM is not enabled and there is an item in the timeselection and the cursor starts outside the time selection AND OUTSIDE that already existing item which runs through that time selection(selected or not)a new item is created for the time selection, BUT the existing item receives the data !!!

If you can confirm that, then I don't really understand the behaviour of 3) and in particular 4). Does it make sense to you and I am missing something?

I reckoned that in case 3) and 4) a new item would be created when the already existing one was not selected and the new one would receive the data. It would make adding e.g. an tom-item to the existing basic beat-item without overdubbing into it on the same track quite easy. I thought that would be one idea of the new feature?!
reaperuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #71
Lawrence

"Link to midi program change".... what is that exactly? What does that do?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #72
schwa
Administrator

Link to MIDI program change means any MIDI program change event heard by the FX will cause its factory preset to change to that number. Many soft synths link MIDI program change to their factory presets, this is for the ones that don't. Or it could be used to automate presets for any FX.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #73
Lawrence

Quote:
Link to MIDI program change means any MIDI program change event heard by the FX will cause its factory preset to change to that number. Many soft synths link MIDI program change to their factory presets, this is for the ones that don't. Or it could be used to automate presets for any FX.
Ah... ok. That one had me stumped. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #74
danielb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masarin View Post
+ Automapped plugins say (Automap) in the FX browser

Works perfect after cleaning cache. Thanks a bunch Cockos.

/Jens
Thanks for adding this. I missed it until a couple of days ago, so hence the late response.
danielb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #75
kbruff

Default Hello where may I download the Beta 3 most current build?

Hello where may I download the Beta 3 most current build?
kbruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #76
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbruff View Post
Hello where may I download the Beta 3 most current build?
www.landoleet.org
Old 04-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #77
kbruff

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Thank you!
kbruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #78
WooWay

Default Has Midi Through Function Been Added Yet?

Quote:
The issue is that Reaper does not (yet) have a MIDI through function, which means that routing hardware to hardware through Reaper will delay everything as it gets synced with the audio blocks. In some cases this is what you want, but in some cases you want the MIDI devices to communicate with no latency through Reaper and you can't do that part yet. It's something we plan to add soon, though.
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Just wondering if this Midi Through Function as been added yet?
WooWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #79
musicbynumbers

Hi WooWay, I believe it has, you get to it by right clicking on the "out" box at the top right of a VSTi and then looking through the midi out options
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #80
WooWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Hi WooWay, I believe it has, you get to it by right clicking on the "out" box at the top right of a VSTi and then looking through the midi out options

Hi Musicbynumbers,

Thanks for your help. I tried adding a VSTi but didn't see any option for midi through. Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a Roland RD-700 keyboard, a Lexicon Omega Desktop Studio and Windows Vista Home Premium. I've updated the drivers for the Omega for Vista/7. I don't know much about midi but so far I've been able to get the keyboard to play vst sounds as a controller. I just can't get the keyboard's own sounds to play or record. In the RD-700 manual it talks about using the sequencer's midi thru function so that's what I was trying to find. Any further suggestions are most welcome :-)
WooWay is offline   Reply With Quote