Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Blechi
Human being with feelings

Default 3.73 pre 2

v3.73pre2 - November 1 2010
+ AU: fixed some AUs going blank when floating/unfloating the window (thanks, Camel Audio)

v3.73pre1 - October 31 2010
+ AU: avoid opening bridges to scan for plug-ins (keep cached copy -- hit F5 in fx browser to force rescan)
+ Theming: fixed stretch configuration for button images
+ Items: show take numbers for items without take names
+ Ripple editing: fixed ripple on first track when pasting/inserting multiple items
Blechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechi View Post
+ Items: show take numbers for items without take names
Cool!

Related suggestions:

1. rename item contextmenu "Take" into "Take(s)"
2. unnamed takes should be displayed without colon in the contextmenu:

Take 1
Take 2
Take 3

instead of

Take 1:
Take 2:
Take 3:
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

You just released this so mine and adam's "whining" would be lost in the forums depths! lol
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Ok, whilst were on takes,

Could we have an option to still show full take names on each item even when we have the option to show item names above the item?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
musicbynumbers

Default Option to ignore fade handles on small objects (both vertically and horizontally)

As described here with link to voting for it..

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3048

That would really help with editing small objects and compliments the recent addition of hiding item buttons at small heights.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
zappsunzorn

No problem in posting feature requests, but it looks like we will have mainly maintenance updates from now until version 4 is released.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Modular

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
As described here with link to voting for it..

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3048

That would really help with editing small objects and compliments the recent addition of hiding item buttons at small heights.
This really does need sorting out asap.
Modular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Modular

I really love Reaper and I gave up my PT system to learn it. I have been using it for over a year now but it still does not feel natural when editing or fading and I find the look of the GUI not in tune with the look and feel of other DAW's today. I have been using DAW's since Notator and have taught Logic and Pro Tools at a professional level so I would say I have enough experience to talk on this matter.

I just think this app needs to get the basics right, i.e. editing, area selection. elastic pitch tool bar and GUI clean up and attenion to detail really when it comes to look and feel of faders, plug-ins and knobs. I know you can theme the app, but I think it needs a unified fresh approach like some of the other DAW's.

What I am trying to get at is Reaper can do everything and more than any other DAW. But I dont want to have to spend months configuring it to do that with loads of multi actions and key commands, themes and so on. It should out of the box or download be very easy to use when it come to arranging, editing and mixing.

Now Dev's please don't take this the wrong way as I appreciate all your hard work, but I do hope when 4 comes out you have taken these factors into mind before release.

Keep up the good work, I wait with baited breath... 4
Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Neve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
I really love Reaper and I gave up my PT system to learn it. I have been using it for over a year now but it still does not feel natural when editing or fading and I find the look of the GUI not in tune with the look and feel of other DAW's today. I have been using DAW's since Notator and have taught Logic and Pro Tools at a professional level so I would say I have enough experience to talk on this matter.

I just think this app needs to get the basics right, i.e. editing, area selection. elastic pitch tool bar and GUI clean up and attenion to detail really when it comes to look and feel of faders, plug-ins and knobs. I know you can theme the app, but I think it needs a unified fresh approach like some of the other DAW's.

What I am trying to get at is Reaper can do everything and more than any other DAW. But I dont want to have to spend months configuring it to do that with loads of multi actions and key commands, themes and so on. It should out of the box or download be very easy to use when it come to arranging, editing and mixing.

Now Dev's please don't take this the wrong way as I appreciate all your hard work, but I do hope when 4 comes out you have taken these factors into mind before release.

+100000
12-core MacPro-32Go , Logic 9.1.4, Reaper, DP 7.23, Reason 5. 3x FF800. Over 900 plugins. Tons of sound banks. Neve 24-track console, Studer 2" 24-Track, many mics. 60's Marshall & Fender amps. '50s Fender guitars, '60's Fender Basses, vintage pedals, etc...
Neve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post

Well said. I also think Brice's GUI should be the default for v4!
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
musicbynumbers

Ok since we are "pushing" here I too would like the brice UI and all the above Modular has said but from now on I'm going to stick to the FR threads as I think Justin and Schwa get the point by now!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #12
bblue

Something strange going on... I was fiddling last night on 373 pre 1, with the example session for Sampletank drum tracks, using multiple tool II's to route different notes in midi to one of several identical drum tracks in Sampletank to give you individual control over each part routed that way.

Everything worked as expected, no problems, no surprises (except Reaper crashed once, I think from Sampletank). Today I install 373pre2 and just run Reaper with no session, and insert one new track, either by double clicking on the left track side, or using the insert track option, and each and every time the track inserted is not empty. It has one of the Sampletank tracks' VST's installed. The one with all the Tool II's and Sampletank itself.

Is this some kind of bug, or is there now a notion of a default track template to be used unless anything else is indicated? I haven't been able to locate such a thing, but ...

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #13
musicbynumbers

Bblue, can you empty the track and set it to default and see if that does it? I think it's a right click option in the fx chain section. perhaps reaper somehow triggered that command.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #14
bblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Bblue, can you empty the track and set it to default and see if that does it? I think it's a right click option in the fx chain section. perhaps reaper somehow triggered that command.
Hmm. There's nothing in those areas (fx or fx chain) that *seems* to have any defaults associated with it. In the actions list, nothing there about default fx.

Yes, it seems likely that it's something I might have caused () but then it should be easy to un-cause... shouldn't it?

Oh great. I just tried to cut fx chain from selected track (on one of those that I added which had all the fx in it) and it crashed Reaper.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 3.7.2.2
Application Timestamp: 4ccf1395
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b29c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00038c19
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
griz lee

Well, after all this endless speculation, I really hope the devs are actually having a holiday right now. It's damn great not having those pesky constant updates - the time it's saved me in not downloading, installing....

When '4' comes along, I really hope that they've had the time and space to come up with the kind of imaginative, innovative and freely configurable solutions in exactly the same way as v1, v2 did to things.

I got a bit lost along the way with v3 - it seems most of that cycle seems to have made things more stable, which is always good, it didn't change the ways certain things were done as did previous versions. I was kinda expecting that from v1 and v2, and still to this day look in wonder at the Routing Matrix..

But I don't want Reaper to be Pro Tools. I have Pro Tools for that.

I want Reaper to just be Reaper.

The UI for me - it doesn't matter what it looks like beyond a certain level of workability. Just take a look at some of the algorithmix plugins for that - worst UI's i've ever seen, amazing sound. That's always nice.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
semiquaver

@Modular - "bated" breath. "baited" breath would mean you were eating worms (or worse...)
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
Subz

i small nit pick with the toggle tool bar button to show navigation window

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image.../img6/glowfoto

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
Modular

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
@Modular - "bated" breath. "baited" breath would mean you were eating worms (or worse...)
Thanks for that I would not want to be known as a Reaper using worm eater.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
delphi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
+1

It's because I love Reaper that I think it deserves the best GUI ever seen.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
Kundalinguist

Now here's an option: how about "GUI Glasses" where you choose how you want Reaper (and perhaps life) to look based upon a certain prescription.

Rosy!

FR???

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
Awesome catch!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #21
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
+1,000,000

Just saw it.

I FUCKING LOVE IT.

I also want scrolling waveforms/centered playback cursor, and a way to remap the MIDI keyboard (kinda like drum maps, but keep it far more simple).

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Now here's an option: how about "GUI Glasses" where you choose how you want Reaper (and perhaps life) to look based upon a certain prescription.

Rosy!

FR???

Awesome catch!
LOL.

My bass player runs a 3D glasses manufacturing place. Think of THAT possibility, as well. A 3D GUI?

Now we're talking some serious Matrix or Minority Report style shite!

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #23
bblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblue View Post
Hmm. There's nothing in those areas (fx or fx chain) that *seems* to have any defaults associated with it. In the actions list, nothing there about default fx.

Yes, it seems likely that it's something I might have caused () but then it should be easy to un-cause... shouldn't it?

Oh great. I just tried to cut fx chain from selected track (on one of those that I added which had all the fx in it) and it crashed Reaper.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 3.7.2.2
Application Timestamp: 4ccf1395
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b29c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00038c19
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
I found that there was in fact a Default_Track_Chain.RfxChain in the FXChain directory. How it got there, no idea, and I have no shortcut for it.

However, though you add a default track chain in fx-button->fx->Save chain as default for new tracks, there doesn't seem to be any provision for removing the default, short of going into the FXChain directory and deleting it. Is there some trick to this, or is it an oversight?

Also, 32-bit Reaper 373pre2 will routinely crash on this fx-chain when you attempt to cut the chain from the selected track. It won't always do it on the first attempt, but if not the first attempt, the second or third. Still, predictable, and always with ntdll.dll as the faulting module.

I've attached the chain for examination.

Last edited by bblue; 03-03-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #24
bblue

FYI, the crash described previously has presumably been fixed in sws-extensions 1.8.5.6.

--Bill