Old 02-12-2024, 06:14 AM   #1
salsaman
Human being with feelings

Default send not working

Hi, I am bit confused as to why this simple setup is not working. I have a media file on one track and a 3 band splitter. The low is going to channels 2 and 3, and the high to 1 and 2.

I can confirm this works by sending either 1/2 or 3/4 to master and it works fine.

The problem happens when I send 3/4 to 1/2 of another track. It seems like nothing is being sent. I have checked the send levels, O am sending prefader,everything looks fine, but if I stop sending the original audio to master and send 1/2 from the other track instead I only hear silence.

I have got this to work in the past, so I feel like I am misunderstanding something fundamental.

Help please ?
salsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:17 AM   #2
ScuzzyEye

Any chance you're trying to send to a child track of the parent? For example the track you're sending from is the first track in a folder, and you're sending to one of the sub tracks? (Sending to a child, which then returns to the parent creates a feedback loop, Reaper will not allow that type of routing by default, and will be result in silence.)
ScuzzyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:53 PM   #3
salsaman

No, separate tracks.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:51 PM   #4
salsaman

OK, it is working now, I am not sure what it is, but it does seem to happen sometimes that some channels above 1/2 just don't seem to want to receive audio.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:59 AM   #5
ScuzzyEye

I believe the default for new installs is to not return 3/4 (and above) to the parent. This is because the usual use case for sending to 3/4 is to side-chain an effect, and if that effect doesn't mute its 3/4 output, then you'll end up hearing that audio twice.

You can change the default in Project settings on the Advanced tab. Change Default parent send channels to All. That was the old behavior. Or if that might catch you out more often than not, you can change it in the Routing for one specific channel where you want 3/4+ to be returned.
ScuzzyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:58 PM   #6
salsaman

No, there is definately a problem, as this just re-occured. I put a vu meter on outgoing channels 3 and 4 and I could see the needles moving. On the receiving track, vu meter showed nothing. Only when I deleted the send and added back then it started working as it should.

This seems like a bug to me, and I am considering making a bug report, however I can't believe something so fundamental could have a bug this serious and nobody has fixed it.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:21 AM   #7
bolgwrad

Maybe; your target track has four channels and only 1/2 are being passed through?
Old 02-14-2024, 03:31 PM   #8
salsaman

AHA ! I see what the problem is now. For some reason I had the send set to pre-fader, pre-fx instead of pre-fader, post-fx, and so it was bypassing the band splitter. Hence my confusion as I could see the audio in the src track but not in the target.

When I deleted (or thought I had) and re-added the send, it added with the default post-fader, so it started working again.

As luck would have it, later on I noticed there were two sends, one working and the other not, and became apparent what was causing my problems.

Last edited by salsaman; 02-14-2024 at 03:37 PM.