Old 02-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #1
hexSPA
Human being with feelings

Default Oversampling Real-time vs Render

I'm requesting that the oversampling feature add a real-time vs render option.

The benefit is that we can decide which level of oversampling we want for the render but use a lower level, or none at all, for real-time work which manages CPU load.

My reason for asking is because I want to minimize aliasing which can affect the sound of a processor but the increase in CPU from 0x to 16x can be dramatic. Also, trying to remember and reselect every desired plugin is not an economical process.

The implementation can occur either in the FX '+' menu and/or the Project Bay. Today I found that the latter shows whether an FX is oversampled in the Performance column. This is fantastic so all we would need is another Render Oversampling column with dropdowns for oversampling level. If this is not desirable, since there are no dropdowns in these lists now, another option is to put it in the context menu when right-clicking on an entry in the Performance column. In fact, the ability to change an FX's oversampling level from here makes sense given that the data is shown. Another example from a third party is how Meldaproduction implements their oversampling. A final alternative could be a 'Set oversampling level for selected FX' entry in the Project Bay Options menu. This could be paired with 'Set oversampling level for selected FX on render'. To me, this seems to be the most 'reapery' way to do it Multiselect is already possible so this seems like the most elegant solution for managing project oversampling. [In fact, the feature request from user Kawin (no relation to me, just another OS-related request) at t=287792 about oversampling default levels on FX could also be implemented like this.]

If this was already submitted as a request, I searched and unbelievably did not find anything, then it's my oversight.

Last edited by hexSPA; 02-11-2024 at 01:39 PM.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:53 AM   #2
mschnell

I seem to remember that this has been discussed.

But anyways a solution of this kind seems desirable.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:04 PM   #3
hexSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I seem to remember that this has been discussed.

But anyways a solution of this kind seems desirable.
Yeah, I think it was brought up as soon as this feature was released. My memory says it was the official opinion not to do this since it would "change the sound" of the render or something. If that's the case, I find that puzzling since that's the whole point of using oversampling outside of research. We can obviously assess the sound before rendering and make a decision at that point. In any case, thank you for your vote of support.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:25 PM   #4
ScuzzyEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post
My memory says it was the official opinion not to do this since it would "change the sound" of the render or something. If that's the case, I find that puzzling since that's the whole point of using oversampling outside of research.
The change in the sound may not be only in the removal of aliasing artifacts. I've come across quite a few plugins who's behavior changes with the sampling rate. (Some even in ways that I would consider a bug, eg. portamento slides running at a different rate.)

Still though, it should be enough to simply be aware that there may be differences in the sound, and the user take care to check if they're acceptable or not, and work around them if they are not.
ScuzzyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:57 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzyEye View Post
The change in the sound may not be only in the removal of aliasing artifacts.
This depends on the dedicated plugin. Some might behave weirdly.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:22 PM   #6
hexSPA

Yes, it's true that some plugins respond poorly. I've observed this in at least one Acustica plugin, Nebula comes to mind, where the oversampling shifts the EQ bands proportionally with the OS setting. Of course this falls back on the user to decide whether whatever outcome resulting from OS is what they desire.