Old 05-29-2022, 03:52 AM   #1
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Default WT Theme Assembler Script

With my Default V6 Modders' Supplies you've been able to choose from a selection of different elements to make your own mod theme based on the Default 6. Next step onward from that has been to radically increase the range of options and make it straightforward for ordinary users to choose and apply them. So, here is the initial offering of:

Theme Assembler

It is a script I have written that shows how the various options look, and automates the copying of the files into its own theme called 'Assembled_Theme' and updates it, in real time. It can also do some more complex stuff than that, like rewrite values in the rtconfig file (it will do more of that in future) but the key thing is that you don't need to understand what any of that means ...just point and click:

The script itself is very much a work in progress, but the theme it outputs is a fully functional Reaper theme based on the Default 6 theme, with complete 100%, 150% and 200% HiDPI support throughout and the usual theme adjuster.

Instructions

- Download THIS.

- Choose Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Extract content of the zip (the 'theme_assembler.lua' file AND the 'theme_assembler' folder) into the 'scripts' folder there.

- Choose Actions > Show action list. In the bottom right choose New action > Load ReaScript. Choose theme_assembler.lua and click Open.

- In the actions list you'll now see Script: theme_assembler.lua. Choose it and click Run.

- First time you run the script, it will ask "Assembled theme not found. Create theme?" Click OK

- Click an element to see what choices there are, click a choice and the script will copy the files over and refresh the theme.

And that's it. Everything it does is just a change to the completely normal 'assembled_theme' that you will find in your color themes folder if you want to have a look, and you can rename that theme and mess with it further if you know how themes work.

If you come up with a combination you like, please do share a screenshot, it'll be fun to see what's working and what direction I should take more elements in!

--------------

Instructions are shown here if you don't like reading:

...thanks Reaperblog!

--------------

Current state (theme_assembler_0110)

• The script should not misbehave at all, but in use it may appear pretty janky in places at this point, and its appearance is entirely placeholder to get the functionality working. I'm still new to this coding thing.
  • I've only done some of the elements. I'm never going to do all the elements.
  • Something weird going on with some of the shadows.
  • Limited range of choices, particularly for some elements, at this point. I'll just keep adding stuff as and when I feel the urge.
  • Some of the light background record arm buttons look bad.

Last edited by White Tie; 01-10-2023 at 12:04 PM. Reason: new version
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:02 AM   #2
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

Wow, this is next level theming!!
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:23 AM   #3
Pet

This is absolutely amazing, you guys are simply stunning!
Old 05-29-2022, 04:42 AM   #4
axel_ef

There's one problem in Linux. It creates the directory Assembled_Theme_Resources as subfolder of a folder named initial.

/home/axel/.config/REAPER/ColorThemes/initial/Assembled_Theme_Resources

and shows an error:

Code:
theme_assembler.lua:396: cannot open file '/home/axel/.config/REAPER/ColorThemes/Assembled_Theme_Resources/rtconfig.txt' (No such file or directory)
I moved the folder to /home/axel/.config/REAPER/ColorThemes
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:43 AM   #5
Never

AbFab!! Smashing!! The Moon landing of modern theming!!

Update: Error.

Under Win8x64: It does not create the assembled
theme resources folder at all.
Tried a few things like running Reaper admin rights
etc. but no go. I was going to create the folder myself but I do not know what structure is or what it is supposed to put there. Did everything
correctly triple checked. I will see about Win1022h2 I was just trying it out on my net pc first.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the mix of forward slashes and backslashes in the target path under an older ver of windows because it reads..(in the error msg):
'c:\users\xxx\appdata\roaming/reaper/colorthemes/assembled_resources....' not found, path does not exist.
but I went into terminal, and typed 'cd' and then the path all the way to color themes from root with an odd mix of forward and backslashes, which I have never done even since DOS 3.0 and lo and behold it found the dir no problem so not that, I learned something new.

Last edited by Never; 05-29-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:02 AM   #6
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
With my Default V6 Modders' Supplies you've been able to choose from a selection of different elements to make your own mod theme based on the Default 6. Next step onward from that has been to radically increase the range of options and make it straightforward for ordinary users to choose and apply them. So, here is the initial offering of:

Theme Assembler

It is a script I have written that shows how the various options look, and automates the copying of the files into its own theme called 'Assembled_Theme' and updates it, in real time. It can also do some more complex stuff than that, like rewrite values in the rtconfig file (it will do more of that in future) but the key thing is that you don't need to understand what any of that means ...just point and click:

The script itself is very much a work in progress, but the theme it outputs is a fully functional Reaper theme based on the Default 6 theme, with complete 100%, 150% and 200% HiDPI support throughout and the usual theme adjuster.

Instructions

- Download THIS.

- Choose Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Extract the zip into the 'scripts' folder there.

- Choose Actions > Show action list. In the bottom right choose New action > Load ReaScript. Choose theme_assembler.lua and click Open.

- In the actions list you'll now see Script: theme_assembler.lua. Choose it and click Run.

- First time you run the script, it will ask "Assembled theme not found. Create theme?" Click OK

- Click an element to see what choices there are, click a choice and the script will copy the files over and refresh the theme.

And that's it. Everything it does is just a change to the completely normal 'assembled_theme' that you will find in your color themes folder if you want to have a look, and you can rename that theme and mess with it further if you know how themes work.

If you come up with a combination you like, please do share a screenshot, it'll be fun to see what's working and what direction I should take more elements in!

--------------

Current state (theme_assembler_0529)
  • The script should not misbehave at all, but in use it may appear pretty janky in places at this point, and its appearance is entirely placeholder to get the functionality working. I'm still new to this coding thing.
  • I've only done some of the elements. I'm never going to do all the elements.
  • Something weird going on with some of the shadows.
  • Limited range of choices, particularly for some elements, at this point. I'll just keep adding stuff as and when I feel the urge.
YES! (-:
Old 05-29-2022, 05:13 AM   #7
Sexan

Really awesome work WT!
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:44 AM   #8
PhelixK

Great, will try it out for sure!
– I wonder if media item images can be applied as well, or did you actually show this in the first gif?
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:47 AM   #9
vitalker

Awesome!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:29 AM   #10
Sarasota_FOH

Very very very cool -- Much appreciated!

- Cheers
Sarasota_FOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:31 AM   #11
nappies

Wow, what a handy tool!
nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:41 AM   #12
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post
There's one problem in Linux. It creates the directory Assembled_Theme_Resources as subfolder of a folder named initial.
Confirmed, sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never View Post
Under Win8x64:
Oh no, I haven't tested it on any windows except 10, I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
– I wonder if media item images can be applied as well, or did you actually show this in the first gif?
Yeah it'll copy anything in theory. I haven't done the item bgs at this point.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
pcp

Really phenomenal, and I love where it's going.

A beautiful and functional graphical palette along with a script that abstracts away some of the complexity of the plumbing.

Last edited by pcp; 06-05-2022 at 02:08 AM.
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #14
Pink Wool

Thank you White Tie! What an amazing tool! Already tried this with custom theme items!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #15
sockmonkey72

Nice! Thanks.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post

/home/axel/.config/REAPER/ColorThemes/initial/Assembled_Theme_Resources

and shows an error:

Code:
theme_assembler.lua:396: cannot open file '/home/axel/.config/REAPER/ColorThemes/Assembled_Theme_Resources/rtconfig.txt' (No such file or directory)
I moved the folder to /home/axel/.config/REAPER/ColorThemes
Could you please try this?
Old 05-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #17
Reapology
Banned

Very groovy idea groovyidea.gif
How far can this go?
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #18
todd_r

Wow amazing, thanks White Tie!
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #19
RogerDolk

this is great. Thank you very much
RogerDolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #20
axel_ef

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Could you please try this?
Thanks, that works.
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #21
EpicSounds

incredible. Thank you!

I'd love to see this expanded to change flow order if at all possible.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:21 PM   #22
scruffy

Default Thank you!

This is beautiful and amazing! Thank you!
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:54 PM   #23
Never

WIN 8 x64 Theme path not found error UPDATE:
I tried ver b (even though I know the update was for linux) and still same problem, except this time, even after deleting the first version from the scripts folder and the action list before running ver b, the assembler did not prompt me to create a new theme, even though it was a first run and the theme did not exist. Still, path not found. Obvs. I did however go into the script and see that the assembler just copies the base .reapertheme and resource folder from the 'initial' folder to the color themes folder and then updates changes realtime, so I copied these myself and viola.
So:
If anyone has a problem under Win 8 or a problem with path does not exist:
Copy 'theme_assembler/initial/*.*' to your ColorThemes folder and all should work. This info is for helping not guarantees or complaints. Hope it helps.
Thanks for this amazing (exhaustingly extensive; 1695 lines of code, 3820 items) piece of work.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:35 PM   #24
nvk

This is amazing, thank you so much for putting this together!
nvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:27 PM   #25
+NRG

Wowser!!!
Old 05-30-2022, 01:13 AM   #26
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never View Post
even after deleting the first version from the scripts folder and the action list before running ver b, the assembler did not prompt me to create a new theme, even though it was a first run and the theme did not exist.
Could you try this please? - Delete the script, delete the theme, change to the default theme, install the new script and then run it.

NEW VERSION 0530 In post #1 : Has an ERASE THEME button. Pressing this will prompt you 'Erase the theme file, then close the Theme Assembler?', if you click OK it will delete the theme file, switch Reaper to the default theme, and close the script. This means that the next time you run the Theme Assembler script (or a new version of it!) you will be prompted to create the theme from scratch, just like the first time.

Last edited by White Tie; 05-30-2022 at 04:55 AM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:04 AM   #27
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I'd love to see this expanded to change flow order if at all possible.
Its entirely possible, since I made the theme so that you can manually reorder the flow sections of the WALTER to reorder the elements themselves, the script could indeed automate that, which I agree would be be great. No promises though, that would be a large job beyond my current competence, and this is me already in the middle of several situations just like that
Old 05-30-2022, 05:15 AM   #28
lucas_LCS

groovy

EDIT:
v530 not working for me on Windows.
Get this error whe running the Lua Script:
image C:\reaper658_x64_testing/ColorThemes/Assembled_Theme_Resources/tcp_idxbg.png not found

I had to manually copy the Assembled_Theme and folder to the ColorThemes folder to get it to work.

::

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 06-01-2022 at 02:42 AM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:11 AM   #29
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Yes, hopefully the ERASE THEME button in 530 will solve that problem from now on. In the meantime, today's unexpected lesson is that you have to manually change to a new theme, deleting the old one is not enough for Reaper to report that the theme has changed.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:28 AM   #30
Delucci

When I open the script, it asks to change to the "Assembled theme"
Any chance to modify an existing theme? (I already have my theme with some changes, but would be nice to experiment with this script )
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:31 AM   #31
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

NEW VERSION 530b in post #1 : Fixes to OSX dark mode.

INSTRUCTIONS - Use the 'ERASE THEME' button (Theme Assembler script, top right). Then delete theme_assembler.lua and the theme_assembler folder from your scripts folder, and unzip the new ones there. Then carry on as normal.

------------------

Folks, I'm more than happy to answer questions here in the thread, and if you've got a problem then please do shout out here, not in my PMs which I generally don't ever look at.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #32
DaveKeehl

This is amazing, thank you!
Old 05-30-2022, 08:36 AM   #33
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucci View Post
Any chance to modify an existing theme?
Using the script? No, that would be a really bad idea. However, its mostly just copying image files from one place to another, so you can easily do that manually to whatever destination theme you want. Please note, however, that this is not quite the default 6 theme because some images have been resized to have divisible-by-two dimensions to make the 150% translation easier. So things might look a bit wrong in places if you muddy the waters, so to speak.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:10 AM   #34
nikolalkc

I just have to say thanks for making this. It's amazing.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #35
nvk

After I closed and re-opened the script. I started getting an empty table sent to setCol. I fixed it by adding a check for empty table with the line:

if not col[1] then return end

at the start of the function.
nvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:43 AM   #36
EpicSounds

This doesn't need a tutorial probably, but I wanted to make a video to spread the word.

https://youtu.be/AwrqjzOh2Rg
Old 05-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #37
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Thanks loads sir, and I'm really glad you're enjoying it I hope the assorted crap bits of my WIP scripting are ready for broader consumption!

FYI If you say say theme adjuster theme assembler theme tweaker over and over really quickly, I will appear in your studio and fatally weaken one guitar string.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:30 AM   #38
snrmark

wow this is amazing
snrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #39
Sexan

WT since you don't look at PM as you said, would you be interested in this code ?

Its live updating rtconfig.txt in reatheme file (v6)

Last edited by Sexan; 05-30-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:15 PM   #40
Vagelis

Brilliant!
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote