Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
Bevosss
Human being with feelings

Default Inserting Files from Media Explorer Inserts Backwards!

I was testing out creating multiple clips of a file, and found out that when inserting some files back into the project, they insert backwards in numerical order.

In this example, I tried to insert bassdrum render 002-005, 4 files in chronological order in the project folder.

Using the command 'Insert into project', it inserted them in the order 005/004/003/002.

Using the command 'Insert into project on new track', they were inserted upside down, ie 005/004/003/002 top to bottom.

Check the pic out:

Doesn't this logic seem backwards? I don't get it, and would respectfully like it reversed (please).
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Xenakios

Maybe this is some bug/feature, "thanks to Mac port"?

I dunno, it could be some Windows Explorer oddity, I recall there's some ancient bug in it with the file list order. And since Media Explorer uses the Explorer code heavily, this would quite naturally result...

I'll test this now on my system anyway, just to see what happens, I haven't really thought about this before...
Old 05-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Xenakios

Ok, I could not instantly replicate this exact backwards inserting behavior, but another one : it matters in which order you select the files in the Explorer list. I think this could be fixed by Cockos by sorting the file list that is taken from the Explorer list before inserting to Reaper.

And while you're at it, give Extension Plugins access to that file list, too. (The list of currently selected files in the Media Explorer, that is...)
Old 05-26-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

This is standard windows behaviour. I think it matters which item you drag, too.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
This is standard windows behaviour. I think it matters which item you drag, too.
Ahhh...what is standard windows behaviour?

I'm specifically using the right-click commands from the media explorer, not dragging in.

If you drag into a project, they insert in the correct order onto different tracks. I think there is a way to get them onto one track in the correct order, using the insert menu, IIRC.

Regardless, the right-click commands insert backwards to what you expect.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Bevosss

Actually, when you insert higher numbered files in groups of 5 or so, logic goes out the window (here):

Is it just me?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
Bevosss

Ahh, found out how I did it before:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...21&postcount=3

You can't use the preference in media for 'decide automatically' because that screws it up, you need to specify 'insert in one track (advancing time)', or 'insert across tracks'...

*Needs a good tuneup in my opinion...very clunky and unintuitive to get it right.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
dub3000

i've had similar problems for ages with windows explorer - i suspect it dates back to windows 3.1, and they've kept that in there to maximize compatibility :-)
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
i've had similar problems for ages with windows explorer - i suspect it dates back to windows 3.1, and they've kept that in there to maximize compatibility :-)
Probably that. And if an app developer wants it to behave correctly for his purposes, he simply must custom sort etc the file list...

Edit : Ah ok, using the right-click "insert into project" command does that backwards inserting. But Bevosss, you can reverse the order of the file names first in the Explorer list, hahah, then they will insert into Reaper in the correct order...

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-26-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Probably that. And if an app developer wants it to behave correctly for his purposes, he simply must custom sort etc the file list...

Edit : Ah ok, using the right-click "insert into project" command does that backwards inserting. But Bevosss, you can reverse the order of the file names first in the Explorer list, hahah, then they will insert into Reaper in the correct order...
Nice! That seems to work no matter what the preference...

It's still backwards though! But that's an acceptable workaround...probably I should post the solution in tips & tricks, it's bound to come up again.

See, this is why you're a coder, Xenakios...you are the smrt!