Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Rodal
Human being with feelings

Default The transport controls really bug me

Just one of those little things that i suppose most people don't notice but it drives me nuts, guess i get too upset by gui inconsistencies.

The transport controls in the transport window and the midi window are in a different order so i keep pausing instead of stopping, etc.

Thats all folks, nothing else to see, move along
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Ha, true.

This could break many skins if it were changed, unfortunately...

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-22-2013 at 03:27 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
bradleyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodal View Post
Just one of those little things that i suppose most people don't notice but it drives me nuts, guess i get too upset by gui inconsistencies.

The transport controls in the transport window and the midi window are in a different order so i keep pausing instead of stopping, etc.

Thats all folks, nothing else to see, move along
You can alter it by opening the rtconfig.txt file for whichever theme you're using, and swapping the entries around for play, pause and stop.
For instance in the default theme the order is stop, play and pause. So type "play" instead of "stop", "pause" instead of "play" and "stop" instead of "pause" and they'll match.
Steve
EDIT forgot to say, save the new text somewhere safe, or rename the theme, because chances are you'll overwrite it with a future update.
It'll save you typing it in again.

Last edited by bradleyfilms; 09-23-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: forgetfulness
bradleyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Ooh, that works. Thank you, mr. WALTER.

EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Er... wow. Well that's embarrassing, but thanks loads for the spot. Please give me a moment to invent a reason why that's someone else's fault

I'm reluctant to change it in the default because I imagine most users are now used to it (imperfect but expected vs. theoretically perfect but unexpected is a tricky game), but most certainly will for V5. That might well be a very long time away, however, so your thoughts are invited.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Jeffos
Mortal

Default Sinkable REAPER extensions & sinkable VST plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
That might well be a very long time away, however, so your thoughts are invited.
Hey WT, although this might be mostly OT, here's some feedback from a plugin POV..

one ~related annoying thing:

^^ ugly buttons. the pb here is that the themer has assumed his buttons will always be at a given place, in a given order (the transport toolbar in this case).
It's a screenshot of rado but it's just for the example: all themes have these kind of problems in one way or another...

IMO, themers should really make "agnostic GUI bits", I mean GUI bits that could be used anywhere, in any order, any position, etc.
This is especially truefor all "gen_*.png" images, e.g. gen_knob_bg_small.png.
This is because of:
1) WALTER: GUI bits can be hidden/moved - as bradleyfilms just said above
2) Sinkable extensions, sinkable VST plugins: it is technically possible to do that, but such plugins would look bad ATM. For ex, I'm updating my VSTs these days and I've just dropped skin support because of this. Also, in the S&M extension, I had to replace most of image buttons with text ones because of that too, etc..
3) Sinkable JS effects someday? this is almost already possible..

Another thing that annoys me: I am somehow "forced" to design poor GUIs, themable, sure, but poor. seems minor but it's important to me because... you know.. "OMG! This looks cheap!"
This "issue" is out of the hands of themers -I know- but it would be great if themes had a minimal set of GUI bits - beginning with a dropdown, a tick box & radio buttons, I mean multi-states bitmaps like:

... and since I'm on it:

Another annoying thing is the bad use of 3D colors.
In many themes, 3D highlight = 3D shadow = bg color. I understand why (I made a theme myself..) but this is not cool. for ex, the SWS extension has to "fix" this at runtime. As far as I can tell, only the v4 default theme manages 3D colors properly.

One other common problem is missing or incorrect pink lines.
This is most especially important for toolbar_blank.png (this image MUST be stretchable, and even larger than "double-width toolbar buttons"). Again, the v4 default is OK.

I'm pretty sure I've faced little other theming issues too.. but I can't remember them ATM :/

Last edited by Jeffos; 09-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
would be great if themes had a minimal set of GUI bits - beginning with a dropdown, a tick box & radio buttons, I mean multi-states bitmaps
Definitely!

Started looking into VWnd and it's a shame it has to be mixed with OS elements.
Even worse, we must follow that convention if we want stuff to look uniformly with Reaper (a lot of native stuff is using OS elements too).

I really hope this gets addressed in Reaper 5 when the time comes.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote