Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings

Default Reverse Stereo Display Bug? (see LICEcap) (FIXED)

This has bugged me for a while now.

My understanding is that "reverse stereo" in the item properties just swaps the left and right channels, so the waveform should become a mirror image of itself, but it obviously doesn't appear that way.

It sounds how I expect, it just never looks that way.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Has anyone else noticed this?
I can't duplicate. What version are you using? I use 5.17 and all is fine.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

I can't duplicate, what media type is it?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:47 AM   #4
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I can't duplicate, what media type is it?
I get it with a LOT of files.

I'm pretty sure they are almost all .wav that were rendered from selections of .mp3 files with the Media Explorer. Sometimes it only happens at certain zoom levels.

My bet is it's something to do with that, as files that haven't been rendered from a different format seem fine, and I've had other issues with MP3 waveforms being off from the audio and changing once I glue them to .wav (see thread below).

In this example I'm just changing the zoom level with the mouse wheel and you can notice the weird change in the waveform. When I switch from reverse stereo to normal stereo the problem goes away:

(this source was originally a 128kbps MP3 which could be a common denominator. I'll update if I find anything out)

Media Explorer: Rendered selection doesn't match waveform preview (LICEcap)
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169943

Last edited by PitchSlap; 03-31-2016 at 04:18 AM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 AM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I get it with a LOT of files.

I'm pretty sure they are almost all .wav that were rendered from selections of .mp3 files with the Media Explorer. Sometimes it only happens at certain zoom levels.
Ah, does seem to be some weirdness when using reverse stereo on loop sections, let me look at that. Edit: ah, got it to fail without loop sections, too.

Edit again: fixing!

Last edited by Justin; 03-31-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #6
PitchSlap

Quote:
fixing!
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

(for future reference, it only happened when an item would loop, the first part of it could get reversed twice, and later parts not reversed at all)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
PitchSlap

Hmmm... I think we could be getting somewhere on the vanishing waveform problem too

This is from a few minutes ago, on a whim I tried turning off loop-source, and instead of the waveform appearing and disappearing when zooming, it didn't appear at all!

The entire file is the same size as the item, so it hasn't shifted to a silent section or anything...

I first posted about this in 2010, but couldn't find anything helpful to track it down.

Waveform display bug when zooming
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=64970

Old 03-31-2016, 08:02 AM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hmmm... I think we could be getting somewhere on the vanishing waveform problem too

This is from a few minutes ago, on a whim I tried turning off loop-source, and instead of the waveform appearing and disappearing when zooming, it didn't appear at all!

The entire file is the same size as the item, so it hasn't shifted to a silent section or anything...

I first posted about this in 2010, but couldn't find anything helpful to track it down.

Waveform display bug when zooming
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=64970

Can you post a minimal project with media?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
PitchSlap

Quote:
Can you post a minimal project with media?
Here you go. It's actually a .rar file, not a .zip, but I changed the extension so I could attach it.

The project has only 1 track, 1 file, and 0 plugins, but it's still glitching in and out for me.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 05-18-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Is it possible there is some issue writing to your alternate peak path, e.g. "C:\Songs\Temp\reapeak cache" ? If you disable that option, does it fix?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
PitchSlap

Quote:
Is it possible there is some issue writing to your alternate peak path, e.g. "C:\Songs\Temp\reapeak cache" ? If you disable that option, does it fix?
It could be possible, though I remember trouble-shooting those settings originally when Greg (gwok) mentioned them in the other thread years ago.

I just tried disabling that option, resaving the test project in a different location (copying media) and still had the problem even though the .reapeak was saved with the new project.

My alternative peakcache is over 150,000 files (which I would've hated to have scattered all over my drives), but maybe it's time to clear it out again. and see it that helps anything. I'll update later if that fixes things.

And for the life of me I can't understand why AES or some other standards organization couldn't set a common format for peakcache files and allow them to be saved as part of the file metadata/header to get rid of these annoying files once and for all. But that's another discussion.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
PitchSlap

I just tried the test project with a fresh portable install on my laptop (no alternate peak cache dir set) and still get the exact same problem so that should rule out anything config, peak cache or OS related (though I believe this is a Windows only problem, based on Gwok's post in the old thread on this, and having it occur myself on XP, Win7 and Win10).

Turning off loop source still causes the waveform to disappear entirely, so that remains the only concrete thing to go on at this point.

After 6 years I've learned to live with this as just a fact of life so it doesn't irk me as much as it did before, I would be great if it could be resolved, but no worries if you can't a solution. I definitely appreciate the attempt.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 03-31-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I just tried the test project with a fresh portable install on my laptop (no alternate peak cache dir set) and still get the exact same problem so that should rule out anything config, peak cache or OS related (though I believe this is a Windows only problem, based on Gwok's post in the old thread on this, and having it occur myself on XP, Win7 and Win10).

Turning off loop source still causes the waveform to disappear entirely, so that remains the only concrete thing to go on at this point.

After 6 years I've learned to live with this as just a fact of life so it doesn't irk me as much as it did before, I would be great if it could be resolved, but no worries if you can't a solution. I definitely appreciate the attempt.
Have you tried turning off preferences/buffering/advanced "allow memory mapped files for peak caches" ? (you will want to restart reaper after changing that)

Can you give me precise instructions of how to duplicate using a fresh install and the project attached? e.g. "click start of first visible item, type up arrow 5 times to zoom in" etc?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
PitchSlap

Quote:
Have you tried turning off preferences/buffering/advanced "allow memory mapped files for peak caches" ? (you will want to restart reaper after changing that)

Can you give me precise instructions of how to duplicate using a fresh install and the project attached? e.g. "click start of first visible item, type up arrow 5 times to zoom in" etc?
That setting was already off in the portable install, so I tried turning it on and restarting. No difference.

Literally all I need to after opening the project is click the edit cursor near the center of one of the items, then start zooming (either with the middle mouse wheel on my desktop, or the arrow keys on my laptop). Within a few zoom level changes it starts happening consistently.

Other's had confirmed it in the old thread so I'll give it a bump and hopefully someone else who was following can also try the test project...
Old 04-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
That setting was already off in the portable install, so I tried turning it on and restarting. No difference.

Literally all I need to after opening the project is click the edit cursor near the center of one of the items, then start zooming (either with the middle mouse wheel on my desktop, or the arrow keys on my laptop). Within a few zoom level changes it starts happening consistently.

Other's had confirmed it in the old thread so I'll give it a bump and hopefully someone else who was following can also try the test project...
Can you post the RPP saved with the exact state where loading it in a clean portable install will produce incorrect peaks on load?