Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
pjd3
Human being with feelings

Default A quick check on optimization

Thanks for stopping by,

FINALLY, I was able to create a track on my new desktop with no pops, dropouts or glitches. It was like a miracle (for me).

There is one concern I have following the Windows 7 optimization steps I performed from Sweetwaters guide. I de-activated every Windows Service except the one that is associated with my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.

My concern is, will this be problematic at some point? My computer is to be totally off-line with nothing else except Reaper, the Focusrite Control 2.3.4 interface driver and a few future plug-ins from reputable well known sources. Are there any Windows Services (in msconfig) that I should have left active?

Thank you for your time and energy.

Phil
pjd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Fergler

You definitely want to keep anything related to memory and storage active. But it sounds like you can kill quite a bit on there.

There's a website with a list of what they all do somewhere
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
pjd3

Default windows services considerations

Thanks Fergler. Regarding storage there are two 500GB drives in there and I'll need very soon to configure those in the best way for a dedicated Reaper DAW. I've heard that you can configure one drive for the OS, software and drivers and the 2nd Hardrive for data storage. I'll need to find out if thats the best thing to do and then configure it that way.

It sounds like I'll still need to be careful and find out more about what is smart to disable and what to keep active. It was just such a joy to not hear any glitching and dropouts I went with it for now!

Thanks again Fergler. If you have any advice on the best way to use 2 harddrives I'm open ears.

Thank you,

Phil
pjd3 is offline   Reply With Quote