Old 03-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #1
arsvivendi
Human being with feelings

Default Graphics affecting audio

Forgive my newbie question... I figured some kind soul in here might know the answer.

I'm noticing that if I can't simultaneously see both the playhead and whatever VSTi I'm using while recording, my audio becomes shredded like classified documents. Even covering the playhead with the floated VSTi is no good. Is this normal for mac users of Reaper?

Changing windows or moving UI elements while recording also has a huge effect on the rt longest-block, and can decimate audio as well. I've disabled graphics switching. Running Reaper 5.77 on 2017 MBP 15" through Apogee Element88. High Sierra 10.13.3. Anyone know any fixes? Are we stuck with this for now?
arsvivendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Vasily

that's how it works: project navigation and VSTs may slow down the DAW. cure is to increase the buffer (and latency as well) if you need to. it's not specific to Reaper or Mac, I've seen this a lot in other programs.

two years ago I asked Reaper devs whether that's normal and Justin said that he definitely has UI rendering and audio playback in different threads, so it's more likely matter of computer not able to handle it all or some non-reaper related bugs. here's the link
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
serr

Sounds like a plugin bug situation.

I have a weird one too: Izotope RX broadband spectral noise reduction plugin.

If you have the quality slider set to highest (4th position), after closing and relaunching the project you MUST open the GUI of any of these you have inserted in any track before hitting play. If you don't they crash like crazy and you have dropout riddled audio. Open the GUI(s) first and then absolutely nothing is wrong. (You can close them right away and everything works normally for the rest of the session.)

This is the only plugin I've ever had do that. This one isn't an incompatibility with AfxP either.

What you mention sounds similarly weird. (Weirder actually.) I'd try poking around like in my example and see if you stumble across a workaround.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
arsvivendi

Thank you both for your replies. I will keep tinkering for sure.

Interesting that nobody mentioned running it as dedicated process. I also wonder if adding another monitor just to make plugins visible would be worth it xD

I will post whatever solution I find. Another piece of information: I've noticed that resizing a box creates more of an issue than scrolling or viewing a different window.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 AM   #5
arsvivendi

Default SOLVED

The problem is gone; as I stayed current with new versions of Reaper and High Sierra, one of these updates solved the graphics issue. On to the next...