Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
lxm
Human being with feelings

Default Nektar Panorama (P1, P4 or P6) and REAPER

I am a bit obsessed lately with not using a mouse. I think they are evil! I am MUCH more creative when tweaking knobs/not staring at a screen. "Use your ears"... what a concept!!!!

Anyone have any experience with these? Well I bought one too for really cheap to try it out.

Last edited by lxm; 01-07-2016 at 01:47 PM.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
4x4uk

yes best thing I did getting a P1 phenominal integration with reaper
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
beingmf

Cool! So basically by "downloading" into the Panorama I get access to all parameters of a VST/VSTi?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
noise_construct

Looks damn nice, luckily Christmas shopping vaccinated me against GAS for a while.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
...Well I bought one too for really cheap to try it out.
Where did you find it really cheap?

Did you get a P1 or a P4?

Just curious. I've got a P6 and love it.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
Modular

I sold my P1. The build quality was awful and the design has many flaws. Had to spend £40 to change all the knobs to another colour too, as you can't see them otherwise in low light.
The Panorama is a great concept though.
If they made one of better build more like a Mackie Control, I would buy one.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4uk View Post
Please do tell me more! I would be interested in hearing about your workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Cool! So basically by "downloading" into the Panorama I get access to all parameters of a VST/VSTi?
Yes, no wrapper. The devs programmed it specifically for REAPER(and other DAWS and plugins). Obviously they dont have every plugin on the planet done but you can have your own maps created for when you open up x plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Where did you find it really cheap?

Did you get a P1 or a P4?

Just curious. I've got a P6 and love it.

Would love to hear about your workflow as well. Day to day stuff. What it can and CANT do...

Ebay. 170 USD shipped. I mean I pay more for a single plugin!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
I sold my P1. The build quality was awful and the design has many flaws. Had to spend £40 to change all the knobs to another colour too, as you can't see them otherwise in low light.
The Panorama is a great concept though.
If they made one of better build more like a Mackie Control, I would buy one.
You mean regular lighting is tough to see the knobs feedback? Good thing im a vampire and never keep many lights on

I have heard concerns about the build quality. Most things are plastic and flimsy these days(le sigh) but I dont plan on thrashing around with it. Someone brought up that the LCD is kinda awkward on the right side. Thats a fair criticism.

The power of only using your ears is a magical thing. After a while you memorize the encoders and its purely physical. Awesome! Hopefully the flaws are liveable.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
lxm

Question. When using the faders for volume or pan or plugins(not motorized ). When you touch it is it immediately active or does it have to cross the threshold of the previous setting to activate?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
nightscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
Question. When using the faders for volume or pan or plugins(not motorized ). When you touch it is it immediately active or does it have to cross the threshold of the previous setting to activate?
Yes. Some controllers without motor faders have a "hook" function which indicates in the LCD when you will reach that previous setting so you ain't completely clueless as to what's going on. Non-motor faders are a total pain.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:33 AM   #10
4x4uk

the panorama show the current fader position and when you switch tracks each tracks actual fader position on the lcd screen. So whilst it doesn't have motorised faders its easy enough to re-position faders when switching tracks
Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Yes. Some controllers without motor faders have a "hook" function which indicates in the LCD when you will reach that previous setting so you ain't completely clueless as to what's going on. Non-motor faders are a total pain.

ns
Quote:
the panorama show the current fader position and when you switch tracks each tracks actual fader position on the lcd screen. So whilst it doesn't have motorised faders its easy enough to re-position faders when switching tracks
I see. I have only ever worked with the motorized ones. Seems like it wouldnt be too bad as long as the control can be adjusted finely. I use the up/down .5 db actions 9/10 times regardless.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Which IF ANY keyboard-included MIDI DAW controllers have VCA sliders? I have not heard of one yet but haven't searched lately.

I'm buying a P4 next month. Been using a Graphite 49 since they came out. It's OK, but the Panorama is the Cat's Pajamas of the lot, if you ask me. I'll keep the 49 to travel with and as backup. Got a nanoKEY2 as well, but it's just a toy for possible emergency use. It is cute as a bug's ear, though.

Anyone know of another brand that does all that Panorama keyboards can do and doesn't cost 2 grand? I'm all ears.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post

Anyone know of another brand that does all that Panorama keyboards can do and doesn't cost 2 grand? I'm all ears.
I've got a Panorama P6 and it didn't cost anywhere near $2000... where 'd that come from?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
I've got a Panorama P6 and it didn't cost anywhere near $2000... where 'd that come from?

DON"T be confused, oh, nooooo!!! I'm just suggesting that anything better than Panorama (with motorized or other bells and whistles) is likely to cost an arm and a leg. At ~500 for P4, that is exactly what most other good controller keyboards are selling for 49-keys, so they are right on the price point, and I think that plenty fair.

SAY! What is you opinion of the keys action, weight, feel, etc., compared to any other good keyboards you may like?

And, again, who if any has any motorized sliders? Do you know?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #15
bluzkat

I'm a guitar player so all the keyboards feel the same.

I think the keyboard action is nice and smooth (as nice as my other (old) controller - Korg Kontrol 49).

The main reason I got the P6 is so when I'm working on a part I don't need to turn back to the computer to adjust a parmeter (or whatever) then turn back to the keyboard. I've got a bad back and the twisting and turning was killing me. So I really like the control it offers me.

With the Nektar... customer support is excellent, the build quality seems good and it works as advertised! What more could you want, in a keyboard anyway?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
The Telenator
Banned

Excellent to read your feedback on all this. I tell ya, though, I've played some really really crappy modern plastic keyboards over the years. They are out there! Oh, and I came from guitar, too, but I do enjoy the feel and semiweighting of Graphite's keys. I got luck buying that one when it was released.

For the bit above about motorized, I came across the Behringer X-TOUCH product while looking something related up: Not a bad looking controller in its own right I guess, but the always low prices of all things Behringer always makes me nervous.

http://origin.behringer.com/EN/Products/X-TOUCH.aspx
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
nightscope

Quote:
And, again, who if any has any motorized sliders? Do you know?

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2006/...orized-faders/

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
C-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
I've been waiting for news about this unit from Behringer. First appeared in 2014 but it seems to be vapor-ware.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
Drak

I'm trying to decide between a Nektar Panorama P4 and a Behringer X Touch for a control surface. Thoughts and suggestions?

I'm in Canada and can get a P4 for $535Cnd. The X Touch, on the other hand, is $946 before taxes up here. The motorized faders are the reason I wanted an X touch, but I don't know if the price diff is justifiable.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #20
bibz1st

Quote:
Been using a Graphite 49 since they came out.
Did you have it freeze when trying to save any edits and if so did you find a solution, I have emailed Samson about it but no response as yet
bibz1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #21
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post
I've been waiting for news about this unit from Behringer. First appeared in 2014 but it seems to be vapor-ware.
$400 @ SweetWater.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #22
Jae.Thomas

so, the one problem I would have with non-motorized faders is if I were to grab a fader on track one, and it's position was at "6" but the actual track was at "-12" - as soon as I touch it, the fader immediately jumps to 6, blowing my ears out.

does the panorama solve this in some way?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #23
C-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Nice, finally.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #24
4x4uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
so, the one problem I would have with non-motorized faders is if I were to grab a fader on track one, and it's position was at "6" but the actual track was at "-12" - as soon as I touch it, the fader immediately jumps to 6, blowing my ears out.

does the panorama solve this in some way?
see post 10 above
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #25
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
see post 10 above
I saw that but don't understand how it would work functionally. Do you have to put the fader in position before it will tweak it?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #26
Drak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
I'm trying to decide between a Nektar Panorama P4 and a Behringer X Touch for a control surface. Thoughts and suggestions?

I'm in Canada and can get a P4 for $535Cnd. The X Touch, on the other hand, is $946 before taxes up here. The motorized faders are the reason I wanted an X touch, but I don't know if the price diff is justifiable.
Not to go off topic from Nektar, because it looks great, but I settled for the X touch. This morning I located a dealer in Canada that sold me an X touch for a decent price.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #27
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Sweetwater doesn't have any and will have them when the manufacturer decides to ship (so maybe someday ).

Old 01-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #28
C-H

Quote:
Sweetwater doesn't have any and will have them when the manufacturer decides to ship (so maybe someday ).

It's the same as it's been since forever.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #29
Doc Brown

If Behringer would have played their cards right they should have made it look like a CS-80. They would of received a lot more attention and weren't going to deliver either way. Lol
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:59 AM   #30
4x4uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I saw that but don't understand how it would work functionally. Do you have to put the fader in position before it will tweak it?
yes basically until the physical fader reaches the position it would be for that particular track nothing happens
Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #31
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
yes basically until the physical fader reaches the position it would be for that particular track nothing happens
thats a great idea
Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #32
4x4uk

Motorised faders are obviously better but add significantly to the cost. The react to movement only at the point you reach the track fader position is a good compromise and is easy enough to get used to
Old 08-02-2016, 05:44 AM   #33
SEA

Default Nektar P1 or Nektar Impact LX25?

I just sold my Nektar P6 since I didn't have the room and I record my tracks using my Yamaha P-95.The P-95 doesn't have any pitch or mod wheels, just a straight up portable piano.

So I need a controller for the pitch and mod plus assignable knobs for synths etc.
I really like the P1 BUT it doesn't have the pitch and mod wheel.

I believe in the P1 I could have several setups and use the fader 1 could be for pitch and fader 2 could be for mod.

The only thing is an actual pitch wheel has a spring where if I set up the P1 using the fader that could be a bit awkward.

If ONLY there was a small usb Pitch and Mod wheel desktop to go with the P1 (hmmm)

BTW - Can Reaper Remember the XL25 midi CC rotary encoders with the knobs in your project? If so then probably the XL25 would work well.

The other option would be Novation Impulse 25. It's pretty cool as well.

Any tips?

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #34
JSTJEAN

Default Please help with my new P1 controller setup in Reaper

Quote:
I just got my new P1 controller and I am having problems setting it up in Reaper (newest V5.25) using a Windows 10 desktop. I have downloaded Reaper Integration File from Nektar and followed the direction....To Reaper Options..."Preferences...Control Surfaces...Add...P1 Controller...This is where I get an error when I Try to select the MIDI ports....Anything that select (ie: MIDI2, MIDI3, MIDI4, None or P1 for the Input/Output shows an error...Then when I Go to Audio Midi Devices..MIDI preference tab..I select P1 to enable "Input and Control" on just the top section leaving everything else disabled. Still no luck after 5 hours of trying different combinations in Reaper and resetting factory setting on my new P1 controller. I also tried 2 different Reaper Integration Installers from the Nektar website (Win_1.0.2 exe and Win_1.2.3.5 exe) No luck?????

Thanks, John
JSTJEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #35
4x4uk

make sure p1 is not enabled anywhere I'm windows or in reaper midi devices before setting up control surface.
if its used either in windows or reaper the midi port will not be available for you to set up as a control surface.

Also if I remember correctly the panorama integration utility actually boots up in windows start up so make sure that you restart windows first.

If you are still struggling contact Nektar support they are very knowledgeable and helpful
Old 10-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #36
JSTJEAN

Default P1 with Reaper Integration Setuup

yeah. I may not have re-started the computer after running the Integration. I did re-start Reaper. I'll try again and I did place a post to Nektar for help too. Thanks for your response. I am using the Nektar Impulse LX61+ with no problems but there are times that I just want to use the P1 instead of The Nektar Impulse LX61+. I also made sure that the P1 was not enabled or selected before choosing the Control Surface. Thanks 4x4 UK.
JSTJEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:30 AM   #37
John57b

Received my Panorama P1 and it is certainly the Cat's Pajamas the integration with Reaper is very deep.

What I also did was to get the magnetic computer plate for my StudioLogic SL88 keybaord and instead of a laptop I am using the Panorama P1 on the SL computer plate with room to spare. The P1 integration is wonderful deep with Reaper, my DAW. You can even have the P1 to switch between Rewire devices. You can get two Panorama P1 units and have them dedicated to Reaper and the other to Reason as per SweetWater tech support, see page 468. Good control over the VST instruments. In my case the I can press one key and it will bring up my EastWest Play interface with three pages of tweatable controls. Works fine with Kontakt also. The P1 can store 20 presets with all the assignments for 16 encoders, 9 45mm faders, 10 LED buttons, 28 buttons and a foot switch plus a link to any of the 10 stored assignable. Each of the 10 F-keys maps stores the setting of each of the 11 F keys and each F key can store up to eight QWERTY or key shortcut commands. It just works. On Reaper just look at the reaper manual located here
REAPER | User Guide
Check out chapter 15 and you then can realize how powerful QWERTY macros can be. It is a rare event to get something that exceeds my expectations. This makes having a keyboard on a side table very workable and productive. I got my P1 at $220. You still have room to put up the SL magnetic music stand also. Reaper music notation editor is getting better all the time.
John57b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #38
atommachine

I Got my P1 a couple of months ago it really has brought the DAW alive, Nektar were amazing in there support to help me set it up in Reaper.
I love the way it maps the vsts in mixer mode just jump tracks and it remembers
the vst if you jump back to where you were.
Top tip, as soon as you get one just cut one of those screen protectors for a phone ect and place over the screen it will keep it pristine and you can always swap it for a nice new one.
I was worried about how i might find the faders in use but it is easy to adjust them and they don't jump you soon get the hang of it.

I have my Akai 218 for multiple adjustment on the knobs if i need access to a few vsts ect at any one time plus its brilliant with poise.

atommachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #39
ulfh

I've got the Panorama P1 as well, and I really like it! I wish Nektar was more open on allowing advanced user VSTi mappings (been bugging them about this and made some proof of concept hacks), but yeah love it otherwise.

I use it mainly for VSTi automation.

Build quality is not the best maybe, the fades feel a bit flimsy and as other's noted knobs and buttons are hard to see in low light. I fixed that with some Sugru tho... But it's also very light and rather cheap so no biggie and I don't think it's a problem in the sense that it'd break, just that it feels a bit cheap.
ulfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #40
John57b

I would not call Panorama P1 cheap but you are right it is very light.I find that the faders are quite smooth as compare to others I have tried including the motorized types. The faders flat tab knobs are rubberized. Plenty of space for writing on masking tape for the rotary knobs like the pros do if you have a need for that. Good for DAWs that Nektar does not fully support.
John57b is offline   Reply With Quote