Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #81
lowellben
Human being with feelings

Search Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Serve up the admission so we can see it for what it is (edit: actually scratch that, see lounge comment). As far as the free vs free argument not interested, and/or taking this one much further it is really fodder for the lounge.

Again, proper verifiable references so we can judge it openly. Don't talk around it; then again, its lounge stuff which as I said, not interested in this area of the forum and I have the lounge hidden from me.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #82
Klinke

After i have read this Cakewalk blog entry that incl. Sonar benchmarks

http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-8-a...-applications/

i got also interessted in win8. Does someone has done a similar benchmark for Reaper? Checked the CPU-usage of a project in win7 and after an upgrade in win8?
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #83
Zephyrus

Quote:
Checked the CPU-usage of a project in win7 and after an upgrade in win8?
I have made a fully clean install and totaly forgot to benchmark the old win7...
but as i mentioned before, the measurements through dpc latency checker are alot better in win8, much more stable, no clicks nor dropouts so far...
Zephyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #84
Coachz

I'm going in. Made a backup, running the win8 upgrade assistant now to see if it's happy.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #85
Jason Brian Merrill

start8 rocks. got my start menu back. Loving the snappiness of the system, and the fact that, since MS did that update, all of my programs are working without a hitch (so far).
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #86
Coachz

cool, i had some background service in win 7 that broke and would not dl my paid for win 8. got that figured out and it's finally downlioading.

i see start8 is $5 now. think i'll try classic shell first

Last edited by Coachz; 11-01-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #87
plush2

try hotkey WIN+X ... that is what one me over with Windows 8. It shows the broader attention to detail that they put nearly everything I used to search all around for in one easily accessible menu.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #88
Jason Brian Merrill

its not nearly the same for my use but that IS really awesome as well.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #89
Coachz

i got the iso and booted off it telling it to upgrade windows 7. Now it says boot back into win7 and run the upgrade from there. wierd. Now after reboot it's playing 30 minute checkdisk. grr
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #90
Zephyrus

once you figured out the new start screen (former metro) it IS faster than the old startmenu. use win+q to acess all apps or simply win that show all main programs.
some tips for greater audio recording experience (is also valid for win7):

-disable prefetch and superfetch for lesser disk access (also good for ssd disks) registry -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters set both to 0

-and for manually sorting the start screen: goto C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
if you have trouble with the icon cache delete the content of C:\Users\%userprofil%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wind ows\Explorer
that's the new icon cache
Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #91
Coachz

win8 finished install and it's alive. funny how the theme is flat again like the old days. we went from flat to 3d buttons for maximize, restore, minimize and now 15 yrs later they come back. hehe

I installed classic shell and that looks nice.

The RME driver was fine but windows 8 threw all the settings out so I had to reset the RME setup in DSP settings as it was not talking to my hardware I/O devices. Win8 also threw out my assigned FOOBAR 2000 outputs. It all seems to be working now though.

Last edited by Coachz; 11-02-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #92
carbon

Default Upgrade from XP OEM?

Has anybody upgraded from an OEM version - is it possible?

I have win xp oem on my machine that I'd like to upgrade.
Would I be locked to that specific computer or could I switch later?
Perhaps install on a new drive and then swap that to a new computer whenever I would buy one.

When Win 7 came out, it seemed that only clean install would be possible if you upgraded from XP.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #93
Zephyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Has anybody upgraded from an OEM version - is it possible?

I have win xp oem on my machine that I'd like to upgrade.
Would I be locked to that specific computer or could I switch later?
Perhaps install on a new drive and then swap that to a new computer whenever I would buy one.

When Win 7 came out, it seemed that only clean install would be possible if you upgraded from XP.
Yes, I upgraded from a oem version of win7, you buy a win8 pro license, also the license on your computer (winxp) is a full one. They only validate if it's the right key on their server and if it's not blacklisted. Like in win7, if you have trouble with registering the license after a clean full install (wich i've done after testing win8pro in upgrade mode), reset the oobe and restart the slmgr (google it) windows does distinguish between upgrade, oem and full license only through the registry entry.
So short said, you always buy a full license (also in the email it's called win8 pro, not upgrade...)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #94
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
Yes, I upgraded from a oem version of win7, you buy a win8 pro license, also the license on your computer (winxp) is a full one. They only validate if it's the right key on their server and if it's not blacklisted. Like in win7, if you have trouble with registering the license after a clean full install (wich i've done after testing win8pro in upgrade mode), reset the oobe and restart the slmgr (google it) windows does distinguish between upgrade, oem and full license only through the registry entry.
So short said, you always buy a full license (also in the email it's called win8 pro, not upgrade...)
So, are you saying that the combination of a valid XP license plus the Win 8 Pro Upgrade equals a Win 8 Pro System Builder license? Do you know where I can find that info directly from MS? That would be nice. I'm in the same boat as carbon. I understand that the actual software is the same regardless of oem or not, but I will follow their rules, just like we follow Cockos'.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #95
lowellben

I'm glad you're up and running w/ Win8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
win8 finished install and it's alive. funny how the theme is flat again like the old days. we went from flat to 3d buttons for maximize, restore, minimize and now 15 yrs later they come back. hehe

I installed classic shell and that looks nice.

The RME driver was fine but windows 8 threw all the settings out so I had to reset the RME setup in DSP settings as it was not talking to my hardware I/O devices. Win8 also threw out my assigned FOOBAR 2000 outputs. It all seems to be working now though.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #96
Zephyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
So, are you saying that the combination of a valid XP license plus the Win 8 Pro Upgrade equals a Win 8 Pro System Builder license? Do you know where I can find that info directly from MS? That would be nice. I'm in the same boat as carbon. I understand that the actual software is the same regardless of oem or not, but I will follow their rules, just like we follow Cockos'.
Ah sorry for being misunderstood, you do not own a system builder license for the use on different machines but you own a valid full license for one actual machine (regardless of oem win7 or winxp) and on this machine you must not have windows XP or 7 being installed to upgrade. You also can choose a full install on this machine. That said you can buy the 40$ upgrade and get a full win8 pro license for the particular machine and delete your old windows partition. You also need only the new key for install in the future.
But as I know it is not possible to install on a different machine. That would be not legal. I also follow the rules
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #97
earlabs

Default Windows 8 without the metro

Here, look at this if you want to get rid of that ugly metro interface but still want all the good things of Windows 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWN5iLJT3lk
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #98
carbon

Quote:
But as I know it is not possible to install on a different machine. That would be not legal. I also follow the rules
OK, I was afraid of that.
Then the upgrade is no use to me, as I need to build a new one in a year or two.

Will continue on XP.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #99
KevinW

Quote:
OK, I was afraid of that.
Then the upgrade is no use to me, as I need to build a new one in a year or two.

Will continue on XP.
In that case, why not just get the system Builder license now? Or is that also locked to the first computer its installed on? I haven't found a clear explanation of the licensing yet. I haven't looked terribly hard though. For $40, I'll probably just go for the upgrade, but assuming it will let me install th 64 bit version (I know that means a clean install).
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #100
KevinW

Quote:
Ah sorry for being misunderstood, you do not own a system builder license for the use on different machines but you own a valid full license for one actual machine (regardless of oem win7 or winxp) and on this machine you must not have windows XP or 7 being installed to upgrade. You also can choose a full install on this machine. That said you can buy the 40$ upgrade and get a full win8 pro license for the particular machine and delete your old windows partition. You also need only the new key for install in the future.
Thanks for the clarification. It seemed like you were suggesting a workaround.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #101
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
In that case, why not just get the system Builder license now?
I didn't know a random guy could get one...
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #102
KevinW

Quote:
I didn't know a random guy could get one...
Any random guy with $140.
From the MS website
Quote:
*Q.*I am not a system builder, but I am building my own PC for personal use. Can I purchase OEM System Builder software?
A.*Yes. Anyone who is building a PC for personal use with Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro software*
I also read the personal use license, which says you can transfer it to another machine. Provided you remove it from the first one, of course.
I found one reference that claimed I needed the upgrade DVD if I wanted to go from the 32 bitXP to 64 bit win 8. More research required to confirm that, since it means an extra $20.

Edit: Crap. Confirmed.
Quote:
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows*8?

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of*Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of*Windows*8, but you'll need to buy*Windows*8*as a DVD.

Last edited by KevinW; 11-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #103
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
Here, look at this if you want to get rid of that ugly metro interface but still want all the good things of Windows 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWN5iLJT3lk
AFAIK that won't work anymore (it did work on earlier prereleases, but was later removed), so if you want the old familiar start menu, you will have to install a third party add-on like Start8 or Classic Shell.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #104
Jason Brian Merrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
AFAIK that won't work anymore (it did work on earlier prereleases, but was later removed), so if you want the old familiar start menu, you will have to install a third party add-on like Start8 or Classic Shell.
I have to say - start8 is so easy to use, unintrusive, and brings a lot of neat features in to win8 without removing anything. it's very customizable.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #105
plush2

Maybe it was all those years using bblean as my shell but I honestly don't miss that start menu at all.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #106
lowellben

Nope! Me neither.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #107
Jason Brian Merrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Maybe it was all those years using bblean as my shell but I honestly don't miss that start menu at all.
there are things I can't seem to do without it. It just seems so straightforward to me. The metro screen is cool as well! But I always find myself going to the start menu.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #108
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
there are things I can't seem to do without it. It just seems so straightforward to me. The metro screen is cool as well! But I always find myself going to the start menu.
It likely is the bblean experience then. I have most of my really common programs linked to hotkey combinations set in their executable shortcuts. ie. reaper is ctrl-alt-r

This means I'm usually only searching for things I would be searching for anyways...in start menu or otherwise.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #109
Coachz

i use STab Launcher for my common programs. It hides nicely and is zero clicks to get to my app icons. In Win 8 it still works and with Classic Shell I'm running "normally".
Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #110
lowellben

I use Launchy. I place it in the far left spot (where start menu was) and now I can use Alt+space or Win+1 to load Launchy, which is essentially a start menu on steroids.

Love it.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #111
karbomusic

I just use the windows key and start typing, been doing that since they started indexing the start menu back in vista; its much faster. Win8 works the same way. Example... Windows Key, type reap, hit enter, Reaper appears. I don't like the classic start menu (too inefficient with so much clicking, expanding and poking around).

If I want even faster access (such as my 10-15 staple apps) they are pinned to the task bar anyway.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #112
Klinke

I upgraded to Win8 yesterday, after running some project under Win7 to compare the CPU usage. But Win8 seems not a good OS for Firewire audio interfaces, at least for some people and also for me. My RME Fireface 800 is unusable under Win8, so i restored my Win7 image. Which is a pitty, because i like alot what i have seen from Win8.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #113
Jason Brian Merrill

hmm no problems with my firepod. working as normal...
Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #114
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
I upgraded to Win8 yesterday, after running some project under Win7 to compare the CPU usage. But Win8 seems not a good OS for Firewire audio interfaces, at least for some people and also for me. My RME Fireface 800 is unusable under Win8, so i restored my Win7 image. Which is a pitty, because i like alot what i have seen from Win8.
What problem were you having?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #115
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
What problem were you having?
The audiobuffer freezed always after about 30sec playing a project. This i could fix with installing the unsigned legacy firewire drives, see http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15505.

But even with this fix the cpu-usage was much higher then in Win7. The cpu-meters in Reaper show a little bit less cpu usage, but in the Task-Manager it was in this project about 60% instead of 30%. Also i tested how often i could reproduce a complex track in the test-project till i got audio-dropouts (the most important test), in Win7 this track could be played 7 times in parallel, in Win8 only 2 times. This correspond to some benchmarks in the Gearslutz forum: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...h-results.html. So it seems Firewire AI can cause a lot of trouble in Win8.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #116
karbomusic

Quote:
The audiobuffer freezed always after about 30sec playing a project. This i could fix with installing the unsigned legacy firewire drives, see http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15505.

But even with this fix the cpu-usage was much higher then in Win7. The cpu-meters in Reaper show a little bit less cpu usage, but in the Task-Manager it was in this project about 60% instead of 30%. Also i tested how often i could reproduce a complex track in the test-project till i got audio-dropouts (the most important test), in Win7 this track could be played 7 times in parallel, in Win8 only 2 times. This correspond to some benchmarks in the Gearslutz forum: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...h-results.html. So it seems Firewire AI can cause a lot of trouble in Win8.
Thanks, FF800 here but I don't see a performance reduction like that for whatever reason. Did you install the Win7 Firewire driver or the true pre-windows 7 legacy firewire driver. The pre-windows 7 version would display (Legacy) in device manager. The other one will not IIRC.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-04-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #117
Klinke

Yep, it seems that not all FW800 users run into this problem, i think i had just bad luck. And maybe i could solve this problem with a new PCCard Adapter etc., but i'm not willing to invest more time or money into this issue, it's not important enough, Win7 runs fine and most work i do anyway in Ubuntu (Windows is only installed because of Reaper).
Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #118
karbomusic

Quote:
Yep, it seems that not all FW800 users run into this problem, i think i had just bad luck. And maybe i could solve this problem with a new PCCard Adapter etc., but i'm not willing to invest more time or money into this issue, it's not important enough, Win7 runs fine and most work i do anyway in Ubuntu (Windows is only installed because of Reaper).
Opps, I just edited my post, did you use the pre-win7 driver (actually says legacy in device manager) or just the win7? Just curious as there was a CPU issue that could arise with the normal win7 driver:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2450963
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #119
Klinke

I'm not sure. I copied the driver from my Win7-Installation as described in the RME forum post. The driver name contained (legacy), so i think it was the pre-windows 7 legacy driver.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #120
stumpbroke1

So what audio interfaces seem to be working well in W8 so far?
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote