Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
snatchman
Human being with feelings

Default 3.0 USB on older PC..?

Hello. Wondering if it's possible to install the newer 3.0 Super USB jack on an older PC with the 2.0 jack.? Thanks..
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
snatchman

Ok..Let me re-ask this question: I see you can put in the 3.0 ports on a PCIe card in an older PC. How much of a problem would this be on an older dual core processor..?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
ivansc

I have an assortment of ports on my current MOBO, all of which work OK, but IIR I did have a few issues on an earlier USB1.1 and 2.0 one earlier.
I suspect it depends on the chipset on the mobo as much as anything else.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Ok..Let me re-ask this question: I see you can put in the 3.0 ports on a PCIe card in an older PC. How much of a problem would this be on an older dual core processor..?
No problem. But why would you do that?

For a fast USB3 SSD, the entire computer is too slow, especially bus and ram. For an audio interface, it's useless. You can easily record 24 channels over USB2.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
No problem. But why would you do that?

For a fast USB3 SSD, the entire computer is too slow, especially bus and ram. For an audio interface, it's useless. You can easily record 24 channels over USB2.
Ok..Thanks for the reply.I was just thinking that if I could do this, I could keep my current PC and wouldn't have to buy another one.Also,Ise most of the newer interfaces ( UA Solo) requires the 3.0 USB..So you say that the dual processor will be too slow for the 3.0..? I kind of figured it may. Can't blame me for trying (lol)..
Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider View Post
I recently installed a USB 3.0 card in my "older" PC (an AM2+ motherboard from 2007). It went in one of the unused PCI-Ex1 slots. Came with a windows driver. I've had no problems with it. I presently have my laptop's external drive connected to it. There's no difference with performance compared to my internal HDs.
Hello..Interesting.I have the Dell T-3400 Dual core that I was trying to " salvage " and hook the UA Solo interface that says it requires the 3.0 usb port. Also says it requires a quad core also.I'm thinking since the interface does most of the DSP for the plugs on it's own, the T-3400 may would handle it.