Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
djz
Human being with feelings

Default 120% CPU...what?

so I'm mixing a track, about 60 tracks, lots of soft synths, whatever. Occasionally I've had problems where REAPER would stutter and just restarting fixed. Restarting makes the problem go away for a bit, but then it comes back. Messed around with lots of the options, buffering, can't seem to get it fixed. Now, I saw the ANTRESS thread, so got rid of the two Deathcores I was using...problem still there. What's weird is that for most of the track, there are only 6-7 simultaneous tracks so I check the performance meter...lots of tracks using 1-4% cpu there, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me given there's nothing on the track... Can't seem to see a pattern, except maybe Bootsy's NastyDLA causing issues. Got rid of those, still having problems.

Never had issues like this before. I'm rendering what's mixed now, and noticing that even though it's rendering a bunch of deadspace at the end of the track, it's still clicking along at 0.4x speed.

I use a lot of SimulAnalog, Bootsy, and JS effects. Not sure if any of those are the culprit. Gonna keep dicking around with it, but if anyone else has experienced problems like this I'd love to hear how you troubleshot it.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Dstruct

Remove Bootsy plugins (and so on) ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
dub3000

did you disable the denormal protection in reaper settings?

one of your plugins isn't dealing with denormals properly (which manifests as 'processing silence burns heaps of CPU'). usually more a problem with free/old plugs.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
djz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
did you disable the denormal protection in reaper settings?

one of your plugins isn't dealing with denormals properly (which manifests as 'processing silence burns heaps of CPU'). usually more a problem with free/old plugs.
the denormalization setting is on; I saw in the Antress thread the suggestion of using a dither plugin instead, so I'm going to try that tonight - although I'm concerned about applying dithering where none is required.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
pcmusicpro

I´m having the same problem with 45 tracks with 105 plugins, all waves plugins in their latest version. I´m testing and see what happens. If you find a solution, please, please post it here.

Thanks.
Ed.
pcmusicpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Graal

Disable the denormalization setting. It solved my problems.
Graal is offline   Reply With Quote